Author Topic: [CC:FF7 PSP] Crisis Core UI Upscale Project  (Read 27177 times)

obesebear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [CC:FF7 PSP] Crisis Core UI Upscale Project
« Reply #50 on: 2020-05-16 12:08:31 »
I think umdgen can repack the files into iso format. Don't know too much about it though

eqprog

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2020-05-18 21:51:46 »
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/99BCCNNU

https://imgur.com/a/dpGaxV3 < to view full resolution

Some things to note:

Switched to Topaz Gigapixel AI because the results are way better and easier to work with

Changed texture hash method to xhh64 to eliminate need to sort/delete duplicates.

Devina

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2020-05-20 09:07:47 »
Yeah, you can see how the upscaling is a mixed bag...

Aerith's hair and eyebrows look better.

Some stuff like her dress (the flowers on them too), eyes and lips could use some refining.

If you look closely at the chandeliers, the transparency got messed up...

I have an idea, how about upscaling the whole game, then posting all the textures on Github?

Then everyone could work on it like a group project, playing the game from the beginning to the end, manually fixing errors, etc. I could help you out on that, but we'd all need a basic framework to start from.

eqprog

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2020-05-21 01:03:53 »
Yeah, I’ve noticed those issues. Usually they are the lower resolution textures. What I’ve been working on the past few days in my off time has been developing a tool to classify the images and organize them.

ESRGAN handles certain images better than Topaz and vice versa. Very low res images (<32 px) probably need to be upscaled to something larger with nearest neighbor first before scaling with the AI or straight up done by hand because the ai tries to add too many details that don’t exist. Textures with text also get pretty messed up with either ai.

The aim of the tool is to categorize the textures in a speedy manner so they can be put into the appropriate workflow. It can also be used to evaluate the quality of the upscaled textures and designate them for clean up / masking.

I’ve been playing through the game too. My work is going back to normal so I don’t have as much time but I’ve been able to get in a couple of hours a day.

GitHub is a good idea. I have tomorrow off of work so I will probably have the evaluator done by then and I’ll upload some stuff.

Edit: haven’t finished yet, it’s a little more complicated than I realized. I’m pretty close though.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-22 02:27:41 by eqprog »

oceaniz

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2020-05-22 22:14:21 »
Hey so I hate to barge in like this but I have been looking for something for hours and since it has to do with Crisis Core Upscaling and this is the only still active thread on the topic I could find, I need to ask:

Is there any way to replace the FMVs of the game with the AI Upscaled ones? is anyone doing that? and if not, would it be possible?

Thank you in advance for your time, and again sorry for interjecting like this!

eqprog

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2020-05-23 03:31:22 »
I think it could be done with UMDgen so long as the video was in the right format. Consider it a stretch goal.

edit:

I've been messing around with textures with the weird halo artifact using photoshop. Loading the layer transparency as a selection and then using select and mask has been pretty effective. This isn't a perfect example by any means if you're looking very closely but they are actually pretty small elements in the game.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/999BFNNU
« Last Edit: 2020-05-23 05:02:51 by eqprog »

oceaniz

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2020-05-23 14:49:05 »
Thanks for the response!

eqprog

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 02:16:28 »
https://i.imgur.com/2w7zZXJ.jpg

Tried my hand at applying some texture to Zack's clothing. I was aiming to give the texture an appearance more like how it appears in cutscenes. I don't think I quite achieved it but I think it ends up looking better than a straight upscale. (You can look at Angeal's sweater to compare how the AI scaling appears - open in a new tab to see full resolution). Once I have a more solid release ready I'll also have a separate upload containing psd files for the masks. That way any edits will hopefully be easier to make :)

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/777WGNNX