Author Topic: [PC] Final Fantasy IX: The Zodiac Age: Definitive Edition  (Read 3335 times)

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
  • You can come from nothing and, the sky’s the limit
    • View Profile
    • FF9:FF:EMR:TZA
Re: [PC] Final Fantasy IX: The Zodiac Age
« Reply #25 on: 2018-05-22 19:58:28 »

He's just asking you for patience and respect. Normal human being things.

Thanks, Tsunamix.

Just to let extra players aware they can still download play at the moment, I've added another link next to "Preview" on the site.
« Last Edit: 2018-05-22 21:06:38 by Incinerator »

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2018-05-22 22:04:15 »
thanks for all the hard work you put in this mod

Also, editing your posts in an obvious and feeble attempt at covering up what you originally wrote really doesn't work, Zara.

But I suppose that's something.

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2018-05-22 23:39:44 »
Also, editing your posts in an obvious and feeble attempt at covering up what you originally wrote really doesn't work, Zara.

But I suppose that's something.

Yeah it’s something.
« Last Edit: 2018-05-23 01:27:49 by Incinerator »

jack5881

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2018-05-23 11:18:51 »
Thanks for sharing this great mod,you are the best in the world!!!Gonna download and try it later,big thanks again!

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2018-05-26 21:03:23 »
The CGI scene is coming June! Here are some render tests of the scene:

Zara9

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2018-05-26 21:33:36 »
hey

do you mean the normal ff9 game is going to change into a new awhole look and not look like the normal ff9 vaillian game anymore

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2018-05-26 23:16:21 »
hey

do you mean the normal ff9 game is going to change into a new awhole look and not look like the normal ff9 vaillian game anymore

No the original mod is still ff9, still be there as whole.

With this though is remaking it all 3D.

More tests:

That's all for now!
« Last Edit: 2018-05-26 23:59:26 by Incinerator »

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2018-05-29 19:40:37 »
With the cinematic update comes with finalized abilities.

Amarant now has abilities.
Abilities LP corrected.
Job: Shikari fix, can use guns now.
Reverse is no longer obtained too early.
Souleater skill's indefinite strength has been reduced. Bug happened with ultimate weapons~overpowering Souleater technick.
Mist Charges/Quickening fixed. Now longer over powered, no longer hitting more than once excessively.
Mist Charges are 3 ranks now; not 4. Fixed Dual Abilities bug.
Mist Charges MP cost have been slightly reduced; remaining high enough to not be used early game.
Sacrifice summon for the sake of more filling appropriate abilities to all 12 characters in the game.
Determined better this way, so instead of having 1 character take up 10+ abilities, it can be given across other characters with very few abilities.
This mainly allows Amarant to finally gain abilities and be more useful in battle. Now every character has filled abilities.
Able to fully reserve space for jobs and appropriate abilities.
Just one of the reasons for a update; some characters suffered from lack of abilities due to limits. Now that limit is overseen, it can be done the right way.
Command Infos (Battle info) for jobs now display more clearly in battle.
Summoning Esper all characters can now do; power heavily reduced; reversed space for new abilities embedded.
Trance commands return.
Added extra side quest to obtain new abilities: Concurrences: Firaja, Blizzaja, Thundaja (Inferno, Whiteout, Ark Blast) etc.

Not an official change log~no game breaking bugs needed to be fixed.

DanTsukasa

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2018-05-30 01:24:55 »
No the original mod is still ff9, still be there as whole.

With this though is remaking it all 3D.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this right.

The IX-XII Engine was a modified FF9 Engine crossworking with FF12’s PhyreEngine. All of FINAL FANTASY IX’s pre rendered fields have been remastered in 3D environments. I am fortunate enough to have my old colleagues assist me in this project. I could never achieve such a goal without them.

You've remade **all** the ff9 pre-rendered scenes into fully navigable 3D Scenes within the FF12 engine, is that correct or am I misunderstanding?

If so, thats really cool, I'd love to see the ones you've remastered already.
this is a pretty big mod, and you seem to be going at it full force, best of luck, this is a really interesting project.

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2018-05-30 08:53:23 »
Just to make sure I'm understanding this right.

You've remade **all** the ff9 pre-rendered scenes into fully navigable 3D Scenes within the FF12 engine, is that correct or am I misunderstanding?

If so, thats really cool, I'd love to see the ones you've remastered already.
this is a pretty big mod, and you seem to be going at it full force, best of luck, this is a really interesting project.

God no, not ALL the fields. Ratio like 20:100; difficulty not by myself either, had it not been for colleagues, it would not even be a thought.

But we take break the remaking fields as based on what I've seen so far; audience be there one absolutely do not like the fact that this mod in particular has new characters. ( :roll: I hoped for open minded in the wrong plaaces?) So with that in mind, I'm debating whether to keep it going seeing how community isn't open to seeing something new; keeping it on the DL; low-key~indefinitely. Why waste time, right? Yeah.
Only reason for this CGI scene being here is it's relation to the mod in a way. Two of them actually; the one working on now is (#1) suited towards this mod's New Game+ Scenario, which was rewritten featuring Steiner; an abstract (and inspiration form the SH series) abruptly revealing/hinting scenarios from my own game. And I put the scene at the Iifa Tree because, well, there's more to the Iifa Tree then meets the eye.
We also take a break due to my constant focus on getting a battle UI fix. If I could just fix that glaring issues with the current port; I'd have a settled mind. One's done everything else, expect fix the unbearable large UI and no one's willing to help consistently.

Farlance

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2018-06-01 12:49:57 »
In response to your comment about people resisting a new story;

It may actually work for the best to do what you're doing and stick to the standard game as you go through development and get things finalized. That allows you to bugtest and do tweaks on a version that appeals to everyone, and opens the road to easier implementation of further mods in the future.

Just a suggestion, though! You're doing really cool stuff!

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2018-06-01 22:55:41 »
In response to your comment about people resisting a new story;

It may actually work for the best to do what you're doing and stick to the standard game as you go through development and get things finalized. That allows you to bugtest and do tweaks on a version that appeals to everyone, and opens the road to easier implementation of further mods in the future.

That’s when it wouldn’t exist. If I attempted to make this mod under the circumstance of vanilla characters on the standard, there be no ff9 zodiac age. The heart of the mod was born from the inspiration and childhood love for ff9 and relatable storyline between ff9 and my own game.
The foundation of the mod’s purpose is to not feature main vanilla characters as progranists anymore but rather abstracts to what would’ve happened after the initial events of FF9 - The Ending.
Try to take this and force it back to all vanilla characters would void its whole purpose, and make absolutely no sense. And when I first made this mod, I wasn’t just aiming for gameplay changes and difficulty increase like Alternate Fantasy, but more of scenario additions to aid the player in understanding more about why vanilla characters are not main in this mod. Anyone who says this mod doesn’t stick to the original story plot is wrong. The main storyline still exist, the idea was to NOT alter the main storyline to point where it wouldn’t be or feel like FF9 anymore, but instead tweak it very small in certain areas to fit better the new characters and their actual personalities. Which switches realities time to time as the plot suggestions being forcibly sent there for a reason to feeble and evolve into the oringial vanilla characters and be easily obliterated. Both the old souls (ff9 characters) and the new souls (my characters).
Extra scenarios tell the backstory of this extra plot added to ff9, which is seen in the trailer for this mod. The backstory of the maenads responsible for this dire event to start.

I hope only by me explaining the plot further from a creator’s point of view would enlighten players why exactly I’m using new characters in this mod, (all of which are from my own game) while keeping Vivi intact.

I hope this makes sense now.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-01 23:03:36 by Incinerator »

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2018-06-03 08:28:03 »
Updated character bios for mod clarification a bit.

Read here

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2018-06-06 08:15:38 »
Here's what's coming with the CGI update:

And many more.
CG almost finished, going smoothly, which means more time for the IX-XII Engine.

And many more.
*See in game with Preview video link in OP.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-06 08:19:26 by Incinerator »

DanTsukasa

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2018-06-08 06:03:00 »
How're you doing the CG scenes? and having the cameras be correctly synced up?
Are you just replacing the environments in scenes where the camera is easy to mimick? Or do you have something helping you get the same camera angle?

Remaking things or making new things in Maya/Zbrush/Photoshop etc is easy enough, just time consuming, but making sure you have the same camera angle, thats the real difficulty.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-08 06:05:28 by DanTsukasa »

Farlance

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2018-06-08 09:00:23 »
That’s when it wouldn’t exist. If I attempted to make this mod under the circumstance of vanilla characters on the standard, there be no ff9 zodiac age. The heart of the mod was born from the inspiration and childhood love for ff9 and relatable storyline between ff9 and my own game.
The foundation of the mod’s purpose is to not feature main vanilla characters as progranists anymore but rather abstracts to what would’ve happened after the initial events of FF9 - The Ending.
Try to take this and force it back to all vanilla characters would void its whole purpose, and make absolutely no sense. And when I first made this mod, I wasn’t just aiming for gameplay changes and difficulty increase like Alternate Fantasy, but more of scenario additions to aid the player in understanding more about why vanilla characters are not main in this mod. Anyone who says this mod doesn’t stick to the original story plot is wrong. The main storyline still exist, the idea was to NOT alter the main storyline to point where it wouldn’t be or feel like FF9 anymore, but instead tweak it very small in certain areas to fit better the new characters and their actual personalities. Which switches realities time to time as the plot suggestions being forcibly sent there for a reason to feeble and evolve into the oringial vanilla characters and be easily obliterated. Both the old souls (ff9 characters) and the new souls (my characters).
Extra scenarios tell the backstory of this extra plot added to ff9, which is seen in the trailer for this mod. The backstory of the maenads responsible for this dire event to start.

I hope only by me explaining the plot further from a creator’s point of view would enlighten players why exactly I’m using new characters in this mod, (all of which are from my own game) while keeping Vivi intact.

I hope this makes sense now.

It really doesn't. You state that you're not changing the story, but you're, in your own words, 'tweaking' it to make it focus on an entirely different cast. FFIX doesn't work with that kind of change. The story is ENTIRELY character driven.

I'm not telling you to stop making your game, but if you're upset about people not liking your personal edits to the game, well, I did offer my opinion. I don't think the reality's going to change, as most people really don't want ANYONE messing with the story of a classic in any noticeable way. I'd even venture to say that you'd be better off scrapping FFIX's storyline entirely, as effectively replacing the cast but keeping the regular events of the game is, in my opinion, kind of insulting to longtime fans of the game.

Please realize, this isn't me attempting to be rude to you in any way, I'm simply pointing out that people that still play FFIX are incredibly attached to the characters they grew up with. If you take those characters away, but keep the same story, you're simply reskinning and renaming the characters, possibly adding a bit of extra non-canon story. That's.. not what most people look for in a mod for a classic Final Fantasy. That's a fangame, and those are very niche indeed.

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2018-06-08 14:16:18 »
oh FFIX can most certainly work in many ways.

Please realize, this isn't me attempting to be rude to you in any way

Really?

kind of insulting to longtime fans of the game.

Exactly how? Please elaborate. Otherwise, this is simply a snarky remark.
Either way, this is what I'm saying; stay away from it if you think this way. There's no way in hell I'm terminating this final project after coming this far. If you don't want to see something new in a mod, simply move on. Just don’t throw shade and salt at something I’ve worked so hard on.

Whoops missed one.

How're you doing the CG scenes? and having the cameras be correctly synced up?
Are you just replacing the environments in scenes where the camera is easy to mimick? Or do you have something helping you get the same camera angle?

Remaking things or making new things in Maya/Zbrush/Photoshop etc is easy enough, just time consuming, but making sure you have the same camera angle, thats the real difficulty.

Are you referring to the screenshot I took in game of ff9? (You mentioned camera angles) I suppose you’re referring to the background in the screenshot above?

Regarding the CG scene, in general (as of now)
Right now I’m finishing the CG scene from my own game, which is a bonus scene featured in this mod. I’ll return to ff9 scenes after this is done.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-08 17:07:39 by Incinerator »

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2018-06-09 10:01:17 »
It is up to Incinerator how he proceeds.  It is his mod.  If you are offering positive feedback - that's one thing - but what you are not entitled to do is buttercup about core parts of his mod that HE wants to implement as a foundation.

You choose to play it as he intends - or don't play it.

I had this same crap when I was planning to remove Cait from FF7 as an optional mod.  No-one is forcing anyone to play this mod. The original game is still there. It's not going to disappear.

Accusing him of insulting fanbase for an optional mod that he has created is just fanboy drivel. This forum is all about modding.  It's not about getting offended at change.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-09 10:04:41 by DLPB »

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2018-06-09 10:30:13 »
^ GOD8)

DanTsukasa

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2018-06-10 01:30:52 »

Are you referring to the screenshot I took in game of ff9? (You mentioned camera angles) I suppose you’re referring to the background in the screenshot above?

Regarding the CG scene, in general (as of now)
Right now I’m finishing the CG scene from my own game, which is a bonus scene featured in this mod. I’ll return to ff9 scenes after this is done.

Yup, referring to the screenshot.

I don't mean to be rude, but this doesn't really answer my question.

In the above screenshot, I saw that you've added that background into FF9, I saw it on your youtube channel.

I don't know what the original background for that scene was, but it looks like you've replaced whatever it was with something you've made yourself.

I wanted to know how you're making sure that you have the same camera angle as the original game, because thats what that screenshot has.

Of course you could just be doing it by eye, thinking 'well its a 3/4 view, so I'll just try and match it by eye', but I'm wondering if you're using anything to make sure you have the same camera angle.

I've asked once or twice before, but the answers seem that I might be phrasing the question badly, so I apologize for that.

Replacing backgrounds in the game itself, I know how to do, thats simple enough, modelling, rendering, splitting into sections and so on.

But in this screenshot: https://s33.postimg.cc/wkngb1bgf/Tomb_Kraark_Dwight_Clemons.png your environment angle and the ingame camera angle for the player appears to be exactly the same, how did you manage this?

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2018-06-10 02:55:17 »
Yup, referring to the screenshot.

I don't mean to be rude, but this doesn't really answer my question.

I know; now I know what you're referring to.

Pretty much by eye here, since there's no viewing of the actual field camera data for the backgrounds, I've got to compare it by eye alone, same goes for the relative walk mesh. Have to see by eye, and following a design that matches that field's walkmesh, since there's no adding new ones.
This method works a closely as possible, not perfect, but close.

DanTsukasa

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2018-06-10 12:46:15 »
I worked with someone to make a tool for FF8 that exported the camera and walkmesh correctly.

Currently trying to adapt that to work the same way for FF9, not much luck so far.

If/when I finish it, I'll share it with you.

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2018-06-10 14:29:14 »
#2:

Getting there...
do some tweaking; fix the foreground objects.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-19 09:32:17 by Incinerator »

Incinerator

• Zodiac Knight
  • Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2018-06-11 08:56:31 »
*assets from this mod seen in any other mod has not been given permission and is considered stolen. don't be fooled.

DanTsukasa

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2018-06-11 12:30:17 »

This is what I was afraid of with the 'by eye' method. Its easy for some scenes, but for many its far too difficult to do it by eye, especially scenes that're going into the distance and so on.

Thats a nice environment there! It doesn't quite matchup to the camera though, maybe angle it just a littlebit more.