Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2 & v1.1)  (Read 98484 times)

Callisto

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2 & v1.0)
« Reply #525 on: 2020-07-25 01:32:51 »
Quote from: HeavensFury
It'd be cool if weak magic was easier/faster to draw, but for strong magic it's harder/slower to draw.
I think that'd be a nice balance.
Essentially taking more time and effort if you want the best magic in-game.
But that's just my personal preference.

Maybe create a magic tier system, where at the lowest magic level you can draw up to a max of 100, and as you go up the tier list you can only draw a certain amount. Example, for top tier magic you can only draw up to 9 or less at a time.
Maybe even lowering the chances of getting a high draw number as you go up the tier list?
This would make the earlier parts of the game quicker and less frustrating/boring, while keeping the later parts of the game more rewarding to achieve.
Capping everything at max 9 draw or at max 100 draw for ALL magic still have their own positives and "negatives".

Doing it the way i've mentioned up above would be a very nice middle ground. Taking the positives from both sides and putting them together.
Has anyone ever thought of this as well?
I feel this idea could of been overlooked. Or would it be hard to implement?! Idk lol :P

Hopefully it can come to fruition someday. I REALLY love this idea.
Even if it's just for the hard mode version or as an optional mod, i'll take anything.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. What you requested is more or less already part of the base game in the form Draw resist values for each spell. They determine how easy/hard a given spell can be drawn in battle, but this mechanic can't really be utilized because of the Draw limit of 9. In the 2013 version of this mod however, where this limit has been removed, the different Draw resist values show, and drawing 100 Ultimas in one go is not even possible with maxed out Magic stats, while for something basic like Cure, it's easily doable. More information on Draw resist here:

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Draw_(Final_Fantasy_VIII)#Draw_list

On another note, an update for the Remastered version will be released by the end of the week, and most of the missing features will finally be ported over. I just need a little more time to create a patch. Sorry for the long wait to everyone waiting for this update.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-25 01:50:07 by Callisto »

Callisto

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2 & v1.1)
« Reply #526 on: 2020-07-26 03:18:45 »
Version 1.1 for Remastered has been released, porting over the following features from Steam 2013:

- Draw cap removal in battle
- Alteration to the Draw amount formula that allows for more Draws
- Alteration to the magic damage formula
- Alteration to ATB bar filling speed
- Removal of magic damage division for enemies
- Break Damage Limit for weapon attacks
- Rare Item Ability fix
- Return Damage improvement (now returns 1/2 of the damage)
- Phoenix Down and Life spell HP restoration change to 25% max HP
- Darkside damage multiplier change from x3 to x2
- Darkside HP loss change from 10% to 20% max HP
- Kamikaze damage multiplier from max HP x5 to max HP x2
- Angel Wing damage multiplier from x5 to x3
- Removal of damage reduction for Cover Ability
- Exclusion of X-Potion and Elixir from Auto-Potion Ability
- Penalty removal when using GF compatibility items

That leaves us with only a few features still missing (most of them are somewhat covered up by workarounds though):

- Some changed Draw point contents
- Draw points changing contents over the course of the game
- Angel Wing, Vit 0, and Dispel+Damage attack type patch by JWP
- SeeD Rank payment values
- Changes to Triple Triad elemental attributes and PuPu card buff
- Removal of Invincibility items from the Angelo Search item pool

A few balance changes and bugfixes have been made as well, for both versions:

- Elite Soldier no longer gains a Speed bonus at the top of D-District Prison
- X-ATM092 has more HP in Hard Mode
- Fujin and Raijin (Balamb encounter) are a little slower in Hard Mode
- Seifer and Edea (G-Garden) are a little slower in the combined Hard Mode battle
- Some enemy attacks (Shotgun, Counter Laser Eye etc) are less powerful in Standard Mode
- Esthar Soldier (Cyborg) has less HP in Standard Mode
- A softlock that can occur when fighting Behemoth has been fixed

Installation for the Remastered version has changed and now requires a patch to the FFVIII_EFIGS.dll file for the new changes to take effect. See first page for more information. If you already have the Remastered version installed and want to upgrade now, going through the installation process again is necessary, as the kernel.bin file has undergone some major changes. Feel free to ask if any help is needed.     

« Last Edit: 2020-07-26 03:22:21 by Callisto »

sutebenukun

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 2020-07-26 18:02:41 »
Hey Callisto,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that the download links appear to be messed up. I tried downloading the 2013 version but that keeps giving me the 2019 remaster version and the 2019 link says the file was removed when I tried that as well.

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 2020-07-26 18:21:45 »
Fixed the links. Thanks for the heads up.

Murasame

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 2020-07-30 13:16:03 »
Hello! I’m coming back to replay this mod after a year. I throughly enjoyed the last play through and I’m very much looking forward to another play through with all the little changes that have happened since then.

One question I have is would you consider a clothes change option for the characters that already have pre existing field and battle models? I’m not sure if this isn’t possible because the likes of Seifer and Edea don’t appear as party members where they aren’t supposed to and I don’t know if normal Squall and uniform Squall are just skins or entirely different models.

Lunarian

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 2020-08-02 13:23:25 »
Hey, I just wanted to say thank you so much Callisto for making and continually working on this fascinating mod! Are there any further updates planned for the future?

Solodin

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 2020-08-03 13:56:02 »
So, I installed V 1.1 on the Remastered edition of the game and holy crap! Is it normal that I'm getting my ass kicked in the Fire Cavern fight with Ifrit? ???

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 2020-08-03 20:36:38 »
@Murasame: Welcome back. As you already guessed, alternative outfits count as different models and they are unfortunately only available for a handful of fields by default. Adding them manually would require extensive hex editing of each of the 800+ fields in the game, so that would be very time-consuming. I hope that the Deling tool will support field model injection some day. I would gladly add alternative outfits then, as well as making Edea and maybe Seifer a permanent party member.

@Solodin: If you are on Lionheart Mode, it could be normal, yes. Especially without using Double from the BG Library Draw point. In Standard Mode however, Ifrit should be very managable even without any prior level or AP grinding. Just don't let your HP drop below 300 and heal with Potions or Cure from own stock - do not rely on Draw cast Cure, as its result is random and can heal only very little HP if you are unlucky.

Also reduce battle speed if you have set it to max - on higher settings, enemies will easily out-tempo your characters as they don't need to spend time on selecting commands and targets.

Both Draw Cast randomization and higher ATB speed settings will be addressed soon. Especially the latter can make the mod nearly unplayable unless you know exactly what you and the enemy are doing - it's just way too fast and can even make the vanilla game quite challenging at times. So for now, I'd definitely advise against using it.

xxxjejay

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 2020-08-05 14:19:08 »
Hi, Callisto.
Enjoy the mod very much.

Just Wondering how to get the sidequest "The lonely girl in Dollet" done.
Which needs to collect three ingredients for helping girl's sick mother.

As I see, two of them are Mystery Fluid and Remedy+.
But I can't find the last key item (an extract of a certain flower).
The only clue I found was the woman in Winhill who can also make medicine with flowers.

Any reply is appreciated.

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 2020-08-05 21:27:55 »
Hi, Callisto.
Enjoy the mod very much.

Just Wondering how to get the sidequest "The lonely girl in Dollet" done.
Which needs to collect three ingredients for helping girl's sick mother.

As I see, two of them are Mystery Fluid and Remedy+.
But I can't find the last key item (an extract of a certain flower).
The only clue I found was the woman in Winhill who can also make medicine with flowers.

Any reply is appreciated.
Thanks and welcome to the forums.

The flower that is needed to complete this sidequest is received from a waitress at Timber Pub after the girl in Dollet gave the clues regarding the ingredients. I'll try to make it a little more obvious next time by making an NPC in Dollet Pub hint at Timber, in case the player visits Dollet Pub first.