Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2a & v1.1a)  (Read 112888 times)

Helm_Smasher

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2a & v1.1a)
« Reply #575 on: 2020-10-12 00:20:41 »
I have a question about the percentile bonus abilities from GFs:
Are they flat increases that apply only when equipped or do they also lead to increases on level up?
I hope it's only the former, because I'd rather not do an ability "chair dance" whenever someone is close to leveling just to maximize gains.

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: 2020-10-12 03:45:08 »
The former is the case. There is no such mechanic in Final Fantasy VIII (only in IX as far as I know). All those Ablities do is adding a temporary bonus to the base value plus spell junction bonus of a given stat. There is no penalty to leveling up in this mod at all, unless you'd want to stay on a low level for increased difficulty.

Helm_Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: 2020-10-12 04:44:16 »
Thank you, this really puts my mind at ease. If you are curious about progress on my play through, nothing to exciting I'm afraid, I got brothers and I've been farming AP to get the skills so I can split GFs later without too much trouble. I'll make sure to report on the Edea fight though.

Edit: I'm guessing this means the "Bonus" abilities like Str Bonus and such are also absent? I honestly prefer it that way mind you.
What's the general gist of adjustment for natural stat gains? +2 for the focus stat of the character and +1 for other stats?

Edit 2: I got through Edea. Oh boy I wasn't expecting Maelstrom, it took more than one try to beat her, but it felt more worthwhile to do so.
I got through the District D Prison, not too hard (but I forgot the Combat King, I hope I can get it later somehow). While it's cool that some unused enemy formations
are now a thing, I felt the Chimera was out of place inside the prison (since enemy formations there were composed mostly of humans and robots).

I also got through the Missile Base and also ended up game overing twice to that big mech thing. Maybe it's because everyone else besides Squall is kinda low level n comparison
(thanks for Step Mine by the way. Having a source of MT damage helps greatly).

I'm now at the the Garden Wars section. I noticed quite a jump in damage from the enemies, but it makes sense, I guess. Probably everyone else is too low level compared to Squall, so might stay in this area for a while.

I should note that I'm playing strictly without summoning GFs and without playing Triple Triad; I know it can make things harder for myself, but I wanted to steer well and far away of the things that were the focus of the vanilla game due to the brokeness of it all (and I don't really like Triple Triad).
« Last Edit: 2020-10-14 22:04:03 by Helm_Smasher »

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: 2020-10-15 04:41:15 »
Edit: I'm guessing this means the "Bonus" abilities like Str Bonus and such are also absent? I honestly prefer it that way mind you.
Yes, all the Bonus Abilities like Str Bonus are gone in this mod, to encourage leveling up without any remorse and also to help maintain character strengths and weaknesses. They are technically still in the game, but no GF learns them and there are no items that teach those Abilities. I hope I can replace them with something less controversial soon. Any suggestions welcome.

What's the general gist of adjustment for natural stat gains? +2 for the focus stat of the character and +1 for other stats?
Hm, not exactly. In this game, every character has his/her own growth curve for every stat, allowing great distinction from one character to another. Unfortunately, the base game barely utilizes that and even at level 100, all characters are almost identical when it comes to their base stats. For example, the Spirit stat has a short range of only 30 (Ward) and 45 (Edea) at level 100, which barely makes a difference in battle. In this mod, the gaps are widened by a lot so strengths and weaknesses become more evident: Ward still barely gains any Spirit points (24 at level 100), but Edea's Spirit will reach 195 from leveling up alone, while all the other characters end up somewhere in-between.

Edit 2: I got through Edea. Oh boy I wasn't expecting Maelstrom, it took more than one try to beat her, but it felt more worthwhile to do so.
I got through the District D Prison, not too hard (but I forgot the Combat King, I hope I can get it later somehow). While it's cool that some unused enemy formations
are now a thing, I felt the Chimera was out of place inside the prison (since enemy formations there were composed mostly of humans and robots).
Yes, Maelstrom that early can be quite surprising, but Edea uses it only once at the beginning of the battle in Standard Mode, so if you manage to recover from that attack quickly (ideally with Mega-Potion or Heal Command Ability) and draw-cast her Shell, she should go down with a little patience. Glad you made it.

The Combat King can be bought in Esthar later. It teaches the Dolphin Blow move, but you can use it (and every other unknown move) even without the magazine if you know the move sequences and button combos. Having read the magazine basically only makes the move/inputs visible in battle, so if you know when a certain unknown move would appear, you can just input the right button combo to use it. More about move sequences can be found here.

As for the Chimera, I think it's not unreasonable for it to appear there. There are actually several non-human/robot enemies found at D-District Prison such as Wendigos, Thrustaevises, Geezards and Belhelmels. One of the Galbadian soldiers inside prison mentions that "Monsters will be set loose on each floor..." after the alarm went off, indicating that they are in control of them, which in turn means they likely tamed and captured them in areas nearby. I guess it's no coincidence that all of them appear in the near surroundings of the prison on the overworld, including Chimeras which can appear in the desert below the prison. So all in all I think it's fine to have them there.

I also got through the Missile Base and also ended up game overing twice to that big mech thing. Maybe it's because everyone else besides Squall is kinda low level n comparison
(thanks for Step Mine by the way. Having a source of MT damage helps greatly).
If you are looking for more MT damage that does not come from GF, you might want to try out some of the new items like Wind Flute or Gaia Drum if you haven't already. These are basically free "spells" with their damage scaling with the user's Magic Stat. Gravity Bombs are also very useful for many of the high HP end-game enemies. Most of these items can be bought from the Odine Shop in Deling City with Tonberry's Familiar Ability unlocked.

I'm now at the the Garden Wars section. I noticed quite a jump in damage from the enemies, but it makes sense, I guess. Probably everyone else is too low level compared to Squall, so might stay in this area for a while.
Ok. I hope it won't be too overwhelming. Make sure to check the enemies in Galbadia Garden for new spells, it's definitely worth it. At this point in the game, all your characters should have unlocked all Status-J Abilties from HP down to Spirit. If that's not the case, you might want to re-distribute your GF among your characters to achieve that. Also make sure you can choose from a varied selection of Character Abilities. For example, two GF that have the HP+20% Ability should be on two different characters.

Thanks for the impressions, much appreciated.

Helm_Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: 2020-10-15 06:56:08 »
Thanks for your replies.
Yes, I've been definitely drawing from monsters when I can in the Garden Wars segment. I got some Pains from Tri-Face (that one does a lot of hurt without protect) which I bet is good to junction to ST-Atk or ST-Def.

Wow, I'm happy to know you made stat gains more unique and apparent. Again, IMO, this great mod does wonders in normalizing the experience compared to other FFs while still allowing it to have its own unique quirks (I wanted an experience like this for years, you have no idea).

I'll take a look at my GF distribution, I think I don't have any junction overlaps, but I'll check, thanks (thanks for making GFs unmissable, by the way; last time I played vanilla, way back then, I missed Leviathan... not happy times).

Edit: Out of curiosity, would it be possible to bring Ragnarok to the PS1 original game or are changes too extensive to allow that?

Edit 2: Nothing too exciting to report, but here we go.

I bagged the Oilboyles and the fight went okay (though the nasty buggers are actually stronger than they look) and also did NORG in.

He was a little harder thanks to spamming Pain and Death once the pod was open, but otherwise was manageable thanks to Shell.
Now when both pods go red, oh boy, that's carnage, very hard to survive it, so I set Quists to hit any pod that had gone yellow, something I
also set Zell to do while Squall did the heavy hitting. Even though I have Mesmerize Blades on stock, I didn't have a chance to upgrade the gunblade yet
and Zell is way behind weapon wise. I hope I can upgrade soon.

All in all, the balance of the mod is excellent, and I continue to enjoy it, thank you.
« Last Edit: 2020-10-23 05:16:40 by Helm_Smasher »