Author Topic: Using AI - To get a small upgrade on background  (Read 598 times)

guyverthree

• View Profile
Using AI - To get a small upgrade on background
« on: 2018-09-19 16:41:31 »
Hey all,

I'm not graphic designer but I have done some thing with image manipulation and it got me thinking about image upscaling with AI.
Disclaimer, I'm not taking away from any of the great work that guys are doing and it's great and way outside my knowledge and skill.

Just a different approach to get some small measure of movement, it really got my that the new hi def figures don't really work with low res background, so I applied my knowledge:

Original Market shop:

Big market

I know it's not a patch on what the other guys are doing but it could be done on all the screens to get a semi working pack ?

UpRisen

• Crazy poster
  • Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
Re: Using AI - To get a small upgrade on background
« Reply #1 on: 2018-09-19 21:10:35 »
It just takes to much detail away and make it look very flat and like plastic. There are 3 packs on the 7th heaven manager that use just upscaled versions and I would say that they all look better than this one because they dont flatten out as much of the depth.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • No life
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-09-20 00:04:06 »
This took me less than 5 minutes to do

UpRisen

• Crazy poster
  • Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-09-20 01:05:55 »
5 minutes for me aswell. I like to find a middle ground between grain and texture.

guyverthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-09-20 07:13:55 »
Fair enough,

I do take it the details do disappear. I was just trying a new approach, much thanks for considering it thou and being nice :)

Onward with the proper redesign, if you need any help scripting stuff or a tool to do something please let me know :)

jasmer

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-09-26 12:47:14 »
Has anybody tried Let's Enhance to upscale vanilla textures?

https://letsenhance.io/

sl1982

• Administrator
  • No life
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2018-09-26 16:53:28 »
That is what i used. I am in the process of doing all the battle backgrounds with it. Some look great. Others look less great

satsuki

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2018-10-05 21:03:52 »
You may want to try https://github.com/xinntao/ESRGAN
I'm trying it for some days and can produce great results :

ESRGAN with some gimp cleanup:

On some other scenes it's harder to found a good value :

By the way if you're interest in a great simplication of fields resize i'm doing a software that will automate most of the process
1)i've generated all layers of all animations in full picture (with mixing layer if possible to lower the total number of picture to resize), that's the "base" pictures
2)i've generated all cut mask in 4x resize (with a vectorisation tools and imagemagik) for all single picture (right now i'm testing ingame for bug hunting ^^)
3)i've make a software for cuting automation
So when all will be tested i'll relase it and all you need to do is resize all the "base" with your favorite tool, put them in the soft, and it will generate all the folders ready to import in palmer with palmer frontend

So far the whole software is done, i need to test ingame and correct cutting layers by hand if i found some bug in autocut.
i might release the software and a howto in one or 2 month.