Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Bynyl's FF7 Complete Soundtrack Remake  (Read 1108 times)

Bynyl

• Fast newbie
  • Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
It's YET-ANOTHER-FF7-SOUNDTRACK-REMASTER YEI!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The goal is to "update" the soundtrack; that is, to remake the songs using higher quality instruments and avoid changing the composition and arrangement as much as possible... it's a simple reorchestration really...

This is a work in progress that I actually wanted to post once I finished it, but I realized that this project was way harder than what it initially looked like. So I want to show what I've done so far and I want to try to get some feedback and criticism on how the songs sound as I move along; you know, if I got some instruments or notes wrong or something like that... one gets used to his own mistakes when mixing music... [and truth be told I don't know the game that well, lol]

Take a listen!
Prelude: https://youtu.be/-f30cXRPJ8A
Those Who Fight: https://youtu.be/Nro9dCMGazc

Progress: 18/91 songs remade
Here are the songs that have been finished:

Spoiler: show
Hurry! [aseri] = Done
Hurry Up! [aseri2]
Lurking in the Darkness [ayasi] = Done
Barrett's Theme [barret] = Done
Those Who Fight [bat] = Done
Honeybee Manor [bee]
Farm Boy [bokujo]
Flow of Life [boo]
The Mako Cannon Fires [cannon]
Canyon of the Falling Stars [canyon]
The Planet's Chosen One - Intro [cephiros]
Crazy Motorcycle [chase]
Those Who Keep Fighting [chu] = Done
J-E-N-O-V-A [chu2] = Done

Cinco de Chocobo [cinco]
The Planet's Chosen One - Loop [cintro]
Fort Condor [condor]
Coal Mining Town [corel]
Don of the Slums [corneo]
Coast of the Sun [costa]
Tango of Tears [crlost]
Jackpot! [crwin]
Words Drowned by Fireworks [date]
Under the Rotten Pizza [dokubo] = Done
Persue the Man in a Black Cloak! [dun2]
Aerith's Theme [earis]
Flowers Blooming in the Church [earislo] = Done
Electric de Chocobo [elec]
Fanfare [fan2] = Done
Fanfare [fanfare]
Fiddle de Chocobo [fiddle]
Debut [geki]
Gold Saucer [gold1]
Other Side of the Mountain [guitar2]
Shin-Ra's Full-Scale Offensive [gun]
Who... Am I [hen]
Highwind of the Skies [hiku]
Blood Trail [horror]
Hear the Voice of the Planet [iseki]
Temple in the Forest [jukai]
From the Depths of Despair [junon]
Steal the Tiny Bornco! [jyro]
Cait Sith's Theme [ketc]
Great Crater of the North [kita]
Anxious Heart [kurai] = Done
Birth of a God [lb1]
One-Winged Angel [lb2]
Judgement Day [ld]
Mako Reactor [makoro] = Done
While Travelling [mati]
Reunion [mekyu]
Highwind of the Skies [mogu]
Frontier Village [mura1]
The Planet's Chose One [nointro]
Bombing Mission [ob] = Done
The Favourite Chocobo [odds]
Continue [over2]
Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony [parade]
Jenova the Perfect [pj]
Prelude (pre) = Done
Red XIII's Theme (red)
Turks' Theme [rhythm] = Done
The Mako Cannon Fires [riku]
The Countdown Begins [ro]
The Oppressed [rocket]
Staff Roll [roll]
Land of Exile in the Sand [rukei]
Mark of a Traitor [sadbar]
A Dream of Space [sadsid]
The Secret Sleeping in the Deep [sea]
The Great Warrior [seto]
Shin-Ra Explodes [si]
Cid's Theme [sid2]
Standing on two feet is hard! [sido]
If You Opened Up Your Heart [siera]
Shin-Ra Company [sinra] = Done
Infiltrating the Shin-Ra Building [sinraslo]
Buried in Snow [snow]
Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII [ta]
Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII [tb]
Treasured Memories [tender]
Tifa's Theme [tifa] = Done
That Day Five Years Ago [tm] = Done

Wutai [utai]
Beginning of the Nightmare [vincent]
Waltz de Chocobo [walz]
Weapon Raid [weapon]
Good Night, Until Tomorrow [yado] = Done
Descendant of Ninjas [yufi]
Stolen Materia [yufi2]
Who Are You [yume]

The track names come from Luksy's translation in the "Anxious Heart" mod http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.0

Here are the links:

Bynyl's Soundtrack Remake: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O3zf2ZZPwA01y4Z8FyehC_m6UdsqFSlB
The songs are already in looped OGG files, you only need to download them and drop them on the music_ogg or vgmstream folder (wherever the music files are)... i'm too lazy to make an installer... :P

Opening FMV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CaETrcVauhn30C213H2kw54OzERjb_mm
Since the opening song is within the FMV and not played from an OGG file, I had to remake the audio with sound effects and then remux the avi file (I used the Steam FMV, the video is not reencoded). I think it turned out pretty good. However, if someone managed to get the opening and ending2 FMVs without the music and with the sfx, please let me know, that would really help me out.

Changelog:
Spoiler: show
2018-12-01
- Added dokubo
- Added rhythm
- Updated chu, chu2, ob, sinra and yado

2018-11-11
- Added earislo
- Added yado

2018-11-10
- Updated all songs so far - aseri, barret, bat, chu, chu2, fan2, kurai, makoro, ob, pre, tifa and tm -
- Added sinra
- Added ayasi
- Added Opening FMV

2018-11-04
- Updated "Those Who Keep Fighting [chu]"
« Last Edit: 2018-12-02 17:41:19 by Bynyl »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
How does this not have any replies? This here is absolutely amazing work!

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
Yeah - it's not bad at all.  Sticks to the roots like it should too.  Currently listening to makou reactor theme.  It's very cool.

Bynyl

• Fast newbie
  • Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
How does this not have any replies? This here is absolutely amazing work!

Thanks!

Yeah - it's not bad at all.  Sticks to the roots like it should too.  Currently listening to makou reactor theme.  It's very cool.

That's one of my favourite themes just because of how little effort it actually took; everything just sort of fell into place for that one. On the other hand, I'm still mixing Bombing Mission to this day...

I'm gonna update most of the 12 songs at the end of the weekend; and am currently working on sinra, ayasi and looking into replacing the song on the opening FMV, let's see how that goes.

Sega Chief

• No life
  • These guys is sick
    • View Profile
It sounds crisp and faithful to originals; it's good that you're taking time to get all the sounds in there. The other two tracks on your channel are really good too.

Bynyl

• Fast newbie
  • Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
Added the opening FMV to the OP!
I used the avi file that came with the Steam release (i did not re-encode the video, i just remuxed it with my audio), but if there is a higher quality version somewhere - or one that doesn't have the music encoded in it - please let me know so I can use that instead.

Also: all the songs have been updated; and sinra, ayasi, yado, and earislo have been added. Enjoy!

mystery_editor

• Cool newbie
  • Mmm... Pi
    • View Profile
Really enjoying this particular re-do of the OST. Would love to have this eventually be another option available to us!

Kaldarasha

• No life
  • Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
If you ever come across the main theme and its shorter version, don't do the same mistake as SE/DotEmu did with the rerelease. The shorter track does loop in the middle three times (as far as I have counted it) on the psx version. https://youtu.be/ih7s1e55tZI?t=999
Also, cintro is different from its full version. The bell does ring only every 12 seconds and not 6.

Bynyl

• Fast newbie
  • Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
If you ever come across the main theme and its shorter version, don't do the same mistake as SE/DotEmu did with the rerelease. The shorter track does loop in the middle three times (as far as I have counted it) on the psx version. https://youtu.be/ih7s1e55tZI?t=999
Also, cintro is different from its full version. The bell does ring only every 12 seconds and not 6.
Noted. Is the shorter version used in any other part of the game?

Bynyl

• Fast newbie
  • Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
man... Im having fun here https://picosong.com/wXJaC/

Kaldarasha

• No life
    • View Profile
It's the only place where this track is played.

My favorite version of One Winged Angel is this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GFA26UoI2o&t=
Not so much the strange intro but when the music plays it is gorgeous. It gives the song something light, it's a bit like a dance*.

*That's the original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIbFk1IE8rQ
« Last Edit: 2018-11-14 07:35:53 by Kaldarasha »

Bynyl

• Fast newbie
  • Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
Ok, I'll just make a longer ogg file for that one then; easy :D!

Interesting arrangement (the cut to the reunion track actually triggered me though). I've been pondering whether I should make separate versions of some songs as re-arrangements and not just re-orchestrations, thus taking more liberties and changing up things more in terms of composition. Lets see how it eventually goes, right now I'm trying to remake the songs as they appear on the game, I only made that bit of One-Winged Angel cuz I couldn't help myself :-D; I'll finish it later.

The dancing video... lol

Kaldarasha

• No life
    • View Profile
That's a very good plan. I also want to make my model's as close as possible to the original game before I will make some new (as example I would like to make some models based on the avatars here on qhimm. But *pssst* that's a secret  :wink:).

tomawashi

• View Profile
This is absolutely beautiful. The best soundtrack remake I have heard until now. I love the way it's faithful to the original and makes it even better.
Thanks a lot for your great work, can't wait to listen to the other tracks :) :)

Bynyl

• Fast newbie
  • Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
This is absolutely beautiful. The best soundtrack remake I have heard until now. I love the way it's faithful to the original and makes it even better.
Thanks a lot for your great work, can't wait to listen to the other tracks :) :)
That's really sweet, thank you! I won't disappoint!

tomawashi

• View Profile
That's really sweet, thank you! I won't disappoint!

You're welcome, I really mean it :)
How is it going so far ?  :-P

Bynyl

• Fast newbie
  • Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
You're welcome, I really mean it :)
How is it going so far ?  :-P
It's going well. I've been having a rough couple of weeks so I've slowed down on this project a little (strawberries happens :P), but I think I'll upload a couple more songs on Thursday as well as some corrections, just because I hate taking things slowly.

tomawashi

• View Profile
It's going well. I've been having a rough couple of weeks so I've slowed down on this project a little (strawberries happens :P), but I think I'll upload a couple more songs on Thursday as well as some corrections, just because I hate taking things slowly.

That's great, I can't wait !
Thanks for the answer :)

Bynyl

• Fast newbie
  • Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
UPDATE!
Added dokubo and rhythm. dokubo doesn't sound that much like the original but I still like how it turned up; I used a real bass with a wah-wah pedal instead of a synth.
Also updated sinra, chu, chu2, ob and yado.

Edit: After well over a month I can proudly... finally say: Bombing Mission is complete!...(a month is a lot of time for me, i have no patience)
And to celebrate that, I'm gonna share with you all a sort of Making Of this song. It's been one of the most complicated things I've ever done aside from maybe Dancing Mad.
« Last Edit: 2018-12-04 17:01:42 by Bynyl »