Author Topic: Question about AI  (Read 343 times)

Kaldarasha

• No life
  • Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Question about AI
« on: 2019-02-02 09:40:12 »
It seems that AI is now a big thing for upscaling, but I'm curious how it works. From my understanding AI learns by trial and error, so my question is how do you train an AI for FF games exactly, and if AI learns by doing, doesn't make it sense to train one AI for all PSX games? To train it I would probably use some user made renders of environments and official artwork downscale them and save them with a lower colour palette. This way I hope to get good training material. In theory this should also work with movies. Having a good source and degrading it to be like the FMVs and the train the AI with it. But I suppose that this needs a very long time and a lot of hardware power for training the AI to get good results. I also wonder, if it is possible to train an AI by telling it which parts are well done and which are worse.

Anyway, it's pretty interesting to see that computers start to guess information where no real info is given.

mikevincent

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Question about AI
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-02 10:01:08 »
What we need is an ai, to train the ai.

Ze_PilOt

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-02-02 10:26:28 »
I also wonder, if it is possible to train an AI by telling it which parts are well done and which are worse.

That's exactly how a GAN is working (I explain that briefly here : https://www.flipsnack.com/zepilot/ff-ix-recreated.html )

Anyway, it's pretty interesting to see that computers start to guess information where no real info is given.

They are not guessing, they are applying the closest thing they were trained for.

RecklessPrudence

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-02-02 15:26:52 »
I've actually been wondering if the next step in all this ML upscaling is for all the successful trained models to be put in a database somewhere with notes about the aesthetic they're good at upscaling and all games it's been successfully used for, with users able to download pre-trained models ready to go. So if you wanted to upscale an arbitrary game, you look for the one with the closest aesthetic notes on the database, download it, and give it a go. If it succeeds, you make a note of it on the database.

Of course, other stuff would be needed too, like algorithms for auto-processing the masking and stuff.

This would hopefully eventually turn into a comprehensive collection of pre-trained upscaling setups, with attendant other software, so that if you wanted to upscale a game and no-one's done that one you can skip the month/s of training a neural network from scratch and just wait for the day or two of running the various processes. Add to that the appropriate injectors for various emulators and pc game engines, and you could upscale virtually any 3d game that functions on a pc, whether natively or by emulator, within two or three days on any decent pc!

Dunno if that will ever come to be, but it's a nice thought.

opengrip

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-02-02 15:33:00 »
I really want to get my hands on Nvidia's GameWorks: Materials & Textures beta. I bet that would do a pretty awesome job at doing game upscales as that is what its made specifically to do.

Kaldarasha

• No life
  • Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-02-02 19:53:29 »
Maybe we could try to contact them:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/

It's possible that there are a few people who have interest into this. Since it would be a good commercial for them, while the topic is hot in the media.

opengrip

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-02-02 21:45:53 »
Maybe we could try to contact them:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/

It's possible that there are a few people who have interest into this. Since it would be a good commercial for them, while the topic is hot in the media.

I did send them an email to sign up for the beta testing but haven't heard back yet.

Fraggoso

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-02-03 20:09:18 »
If you're speaking about Nvidia super resolution, I tried it out as I applied and was approved.
The models flying around the internet are doing a way better job that super res (at least as of now).
The best thing about super res is that you can go past 4x (8x is the highest you can go).

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-02-03 21:56:45 »
I don't know why they're calling it AI tbh... It's not an intelligence.  Nor is Alpha Go etc.  I dunno what you'd call it but not AI.  Perhaps adaptive program.

opengrip

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-02-03 22:32:51 »
I don't know why they're calling it AI tbh... It's not an intelligence.  Nor is Alpha Go etc.  I dunno what you'd call it but not AI.  Perhaps adaptive program.

Machine Learning seemed appropriate... AI is just a marketing tactic. Sounds fancy etc