Author Topic: [FF8PC - Steam] New Threat Mod (v0.3)  (Read 9585 times)

Goth

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: [FF8PC - Steam] New Threat Mod (v0.3)
« Reply #50 on: 2019-07-04 10:09:13 »
Limits have had the RNG removed from their check, meaning that milling turns will no longer have an effect. If a Limit does not proc when the character's ATB gauge fills, it means they cannot get a Limit until the battle conditions change (HP is lost, status is inflicted). This works both ways, and means that if a Limit does proc it will be available even if you swap control to another character and back again.
This has probably got to be one of if not the most important feature to prevent endless Limit spamming
Yes, it's one of the most important feature IMHO.
To be fair, spamming the circle button waiting for Renzo was part of the fun back in the days, especially when playing with a friend and trying to beat a hard boss or Omega, it was a fun (unforeseen) mechanic, it created tension.
But when replaying the game we want balance, and I've always thought of this feature as one of the most important or at least the first step towards a better balance of the Limits, so it's good to finally see it implemented.

Sega Chief

• No life
  • These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2019-07-04 13:03:33 »
Hey there, just wondering if the % on squalls hit was reverted back to 255 or if I've managed to somehow mess up the install? Everything else is working as intended from the looks of it though.

I reverted it because the game seems to ignore the hit% and the attack will always land regardless.

Eliscia

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2019-07-05 17:24:33 »
I reverted it because the game seems to ignore the hit% and the attack will always land regardless.

Thanks!

Topken

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2019-07-09 18:57:23 »
Glad to see you working on New Threat for FF8 as I love the one for FF7

Dark_Ansem

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2019-07-22 11:18:02 »
An exciting release for my first FF ever. Sad Edea isn't permanent but oh well.
Have you considered making some spells such as Holy or GF like Bahamut multi-hit?
« Last Edit: 2019-07-22 11:24:28 by Dark_Ansem »

joedram0

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2019-08-03 07:34:51 »
Hello Sega Chief, you have really done some great work with these New Threat mods. My own mods for PSX FF7 and 8 I made, are based off of the ideas that yourself and others in the forum have made. They are nowhere near the quality of yours but that is to be expected with the PSX versions.

That being said, I uploaded my FF8 mod called Inernational GF Job System here but the hack is missing a few things that I hoped you could offer some insight with.

First, is how were you able to change junction magic to be 100% regardless of stock? I wanted to get that in my hack but am unsure if it is as simple as changing some hex values or if it requires coding. I could change the values if I new the offsets but that would be it.

Lastly would be if you knew of any way to change Squalls hit to be something other than 255 or if that is hardcoded. Thanks!

If you had any interest in seeing the changes to the game I made, it is located here:

International GF Job System

« Last Edit: 2019-08-03 07:37:27 by joedram0 »

Sega Chief

• No life
  • These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2019-09-06 20:18:41 »
Hello Sega Chief, you have really done some great work with these New Threat mods. My own mods for PSX FF7 and 8 I made, are based off of the ideas that yourself and others in the forum have made. They are nowhere near the quality of yours but that is to be expected with the PSX versions.

That being said, I uploaded my FF8 mod called Inernational GF Job System here but the hack is missing a few things that I hoped you could offer some insight with.

First, is how were you able to change junction magic to be 100% regardless of stock? I wanted to get that in my hack but am unsure if it is as simple as changing some hex values or if it requires coding. I could change the values if I new the offsets but that would be it.

Lastly would be if you knew of any way to change Squalls hit to be something other than 255 or if that is hardcoded. Thanks!

If you had any interest in seeing the changes to the game I made, it is located here:

International GF Job System

Sorry, bud; I hadn't checked the thread in a bit. I'll send a PM.

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Crazy poster
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 06:11:16 »
So I recently finished my Level 100 Run of NT8, and here's a few bugs I encountered. Probably going to reiterate a few that have already been mentioned so forgive me for that.

I couldn't get the HEXT to work right. I was able to get the correct amount of in battle draws, and the ability to skip the intro, but draw points, and a few other things were broken. I ended up using the emergency EXE.

Granaldo and Raldo boss fights didn't scale. My guess is because you do encounter them as normal enemies later on so they'd be a bit difficult to scale, so that might not be a bug. Same with the Iguions as they were only level 18.

Echo Drops only heal Silence and not Blind.

Cerberus camera for the Diablos fight is broken.

A few of the random encounters matched the levels of my characters instead of being at a fixed level. I ran into a few level 100 Funguars in the first Laguna scene, and I think there were a few of varying levels as some died rather easily. Didnt get a chance to scan them first. It seemed that a bunch of the enemies after the 2nd Laguna scene also had matched my level. The enemies around Galbaldia Garden, and Deling City were all also relatively around level 100.

A few of the draw points also don't work. I don't think any of them in the Deling Sewers worked.

All in all I think for a run where the only thing I did was get the characters up to level 100 it was a little too easy. I didn't use card modding, I think I only refined a few spells, and my didn't get level boosted so they only got the levels earned from fighting. I didn't need that much planning for the bosses. I ran through the game with just Confuse protection, and I had my elemental status attacks wrong for a majority of the bosses. I had a harder time fighting the level 100 random encounters that I randomly met. Speaking of, your level 100 Creeps are horrifying. I would rather fight Seifer and Edea than two Creeps. They are super hard to hit, and magic, which always hits, does little damage. I'm talking Selphie with as high of magic stat that I could give her with a Firaga only did about 800 damage against something with like 20k to 30k health. That could be chalked up to the only thing that was really level 100 about me was my level though. I didn't have any abilities that increased my hit rate, I didn't have Squall, and I very much didn't have the better magic Junctioned. So that might just be me complaining about fighting stuff I'm not ready for.

I think my favorite of the runs that I did was the no level gain run. That required a lot of planning and hoping for good things to happen. The level 100 run was quite easy in comparison to both the no level gain, and the normal run. However, I did have a lot of fun, and I can't wait till the next update!