Author Topic: FFVIII Remastered  (Read 13659 times)

Manakaiser

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
Re: FFVIII Remastered
« Reply #50 on: 2019-06-29 06:02:57 »
You sound just like DLPB.  A total cynic.  You two need to get a room and let the rest of us enjoy it for what it is.

;)

Zen

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2019-06-30 22:23:33 »
Crap, I was hoping they wouldn't touch the backgrounds at all (especially after they did such a terrible job with the FF9 bgs). I think these look worse than FF9's, just a crappy blur filter from the looks of it.

As for Squall, he does look a bit strange yeah. His hair isn't even close to matching the original design.

Kaldarasha

• No life
  • Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2019-07-01 00:28:56 »
In the orignal design he looks like in the twentieth, now he looks much more like an older teen-ager. Also the face in the CGI is proportional really bad. Just look how small his ear is. Usually an ear's hight goes from the mouth to the eyebrows, the CGI model has it from the nose to the eyebrows. This results in a lot more problems and is making the whole face to little for his head.
I just saying this because complaints are not justified even though the new model design doesn't portray the concept art very well (which has also a too small ear). The redesign is better as before. The only bad thing I see is that it clashes with the CGI scenes and that the team is (probably) too lazy to upgrade the unimportant NPCs as well.

Aavock

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2019-07-01 02:10:40 »
I forgot to specified in my last post that the first image is from the remaster and bottom one the current steam version.

As mentioned by Kaldarash, there's this weird "voiceover" thing goin' on from the official website code:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/final-fantasy-8-remaster-will-feature-english-japanese-voices-according-to-its-official-website/

Zen

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2019-07-01 02:44:14 »
Voice acting? Now that does sound very interesting. Would make a new playthrough feel quite fresh.

Manakaiser

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2019-07-01 07:18:33 »
This is very nice news; I think its awesome even if the voices end up being subpar. I would use them even if they were bad just because its an intertesting feature.

Yagami Light

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2019-07-01 08:39:03 »
I doubt the voice over thing is real, the website also says "With fully overhauled visuals", "with a complete visual refresh" but we've already seen that the battlegrounds are still the same.

Kaldarasha

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2019-07-01 10:40:59 »
I doubt the voice over thing is real, the website also says "With fully overhauled visuals", "with a complete visual refresh" but we've already seen that the battlegrounds are still the same.

We have no info if the footage is final. Let's hope we can mod the game to what we like much easier.

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2019-07-01 11:50:53 »
We have no info if the footage is final. Let's hope we can mod the game to what we like much easier.

It's almost 100% likely to be.  You don't release previews as a teaser if they're not reflective of the final version. It also takes man hours to change backgrounds.  They aren't going to do all that and then change it again.

Manakaiser

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2019-07-01 12:10:25 »
I can 100% agree that there is a 0 percent chance that they will redo the backgrounds other than a bicubic filter or something similar like we have already seen in the preview shot with squall and quistis in the garden hallway.
Redrawing them completely would actually cost a very significant amount of money and require massive amount of work, and the chances of a company using AI tools like ESRGAN to upscale are also 0 for various reasons (especially in a commercially released product), massive inconsistency among others. This only leaves filters slapped over the existing ones.

Its a real shame but I would almost say understandable / no surprise.

Kaldarasha

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2019-07-01 13:13:28 »
I can 100% agree that there is a 0 percent chance that they will redo the backgrounds other than a bicubic filter or something similar like we have already seen in the preview shot with squall and quistis in the garden hallway.
Redrawing them completely would actually cost a very significant amount of money and require massive amount of work, and the chances of a company using AI tools like ESRGAN to upscale are also 0 for various reasons (especially in a commercially released product), massive inconsistency among others. This only leaves filters slapped over the existing ones.

Its a real shame but I would almost say understandable / no surprise.

We talked about the battle backgrounds. And regarding AI upscales: https://techgage.com/news/deep-learning-used-to-enhance-zelda-twilight-princess-for-nvidia-shield-in-china/

Manakaiser

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2019-07-01 14:05:42 »
Oh ok I misread when glancing over, I read "backgrounds" not "battlegrounds"; As for that ai upscale; Thats very interesting would not have expected that being used even for 3d asset textures in the gurrent gen of ai scaling in any commecrcial release, although the case is very specific and fringe in terms of application (china only shield only). But Sadly it has to be said though that upgrading 3d textures with Ai cant even remotely be compared to prerendered backgrounds/multi asset encompassing 2d textures sot its a while out until those will be done reliably and therefore in a commercially viable manner; didnt really think too broadly in terms of usage possibilities.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-01 14:29:27 by Manakaiser »

Goth

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #62 on: 2019-07-04 21:09:34 »
I don't really know what to think.

LordUrQuan

• VirtualBox dweller
  • Insane poster
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2019-07-05 13:40:51 »
I don't really know what to think.
Then don't, it's too much hard work anyways  8-)

Wiseman

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2019-07-24 20:55:48 »
Gotta say the chances of this having proper analogue support and that new font are the biggest reasons I might buy this remaster. The reason I definitely won't buy it is because Squenix puts Denuvo on everything they touch now. Maybe if I get a console soon.

Aavock

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2019-08-13 16:07:50 »
Latest tweet on FFVIII Remastered:

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1161261369456517122/video/1

And yeah, th background field is extremely blurry as expected, characters models are popping out so much.

Wiseman

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2019-08-13 16:48:23 »
Why don't you try telling them they can upscale those now?

gunner_1207

• Fast newbie
  • If your upright an above ground,its a gd day
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2019-08-18 21:19:08 »
this remaster is honestly gonna be a disappointment going by what we have already seen,if they cant be bothered to better the magnificent work done by the modders. then just don't bother.mot interested in something inferior   

Aavock

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2019-08-20 01:27:05 »
It is now official and right around the corner: September 3, 2019. :-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VovHI0JKxlg

Edit: A few screenshots here.

Apparently, the Triple Triad background was too much work. ::) Cards also reminds me of Mcindus' Tripod textures, why am I not surprised?
« Last Edit: 2019-08-20 03:13:37 by Aavock »

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2019-08-20 01:36:35 »
this remaster is honestly gonna be a disappointment going by what we have already seen,if they cant be bothered to better the magnificent work done by the modders. then just don't bother.mot interested in something inferior   

On the plus side... they may properly implement an audio engine replacement.  Roses and Wine is a hack job (though 95% of the game works great with it).  But yeah... knowing these fools my mod will still be better.

greator

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2019-08-20 06:04:40 »
A new trailer just drop in

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1163601790744453121?s=19

Yeah, looks like they upgraded the FMV, but didn't bother with the pre-rendered backgrounds.
I hope the full voice acting rumor is true.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • No life
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 2019-08-20 06:54:06 »
Preorder a digital version of a 90's remaster? Yeah, no. I'll wait until after the release.

TheSquallRock

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2019-08-20 08:17:48 »
All they did is just replacing character models, right?
And they call it "remastered"? So sad. After all these years FFVIII deserved more. The potential of this game is infinite if properly remastered.  :-\

Kuraudo.

• Crazy poster
  • Panta rei
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2019-08-20 09:00:41 »
Backgrounds untouched, mh. Interesting.

Yagami Light

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2019-08-20 10:42:31 »
So many whiners, they have replaced all of the important characters, weapons, GF's, vehicles with new models and textures, even minor characters such as the waitress in Lagunas dream got a new model and texture, yes its a shame battlegrounds or pre-rendered backgrounds didn't get updated but that would have pushed costs and the price up to a brand new fully priced game release which few people would be willing to pay to begin with. They also fixed the text scaling so it actually looks presentable now. It's a fair price for how much they did.