Author Topic: FFVIII Remastered  (Read 12951 times)

rick

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
Re: FFVIII Remastered
« Reply #200 on: 2019-09-07 18:37:01 »
They DID. Introduced zzz, new FS compression and partially reorganized field archives (multi JSM, multi text sections, some fields have broken/badly edited FL and FI sections- complete misunderstanding) rendering Deling useless. We broke zzz, we broke new compression (sorta) but that's all. More and more people are leaving this pile of poo

let's not do exactly what they want o.O

Lorath

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2019-09-07 23:15:27 »
How many source codes did Nintendo lost? Blizzard? Id Software? Any other major company?

I missed this. Blizzard lost the Starcraft souce code, but it was recovered shortly before/after the annoucement of Starcraft Remastered. It was literally in the news back in 2017.

EDIT: about the FH concert music, at least Irish Jig WORKS during the Shumi Village sidequest, but it's not the PS1 version, nor the old MIDI one: https://youtu.be/bzE_xt03mpI?t=1768
« Last Edit: 2019-09-07 23:30:16 by Lorath »

Fraggoso

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2019-09-08 08:41:27 »
It would be great if there's a way to have high res fields and those insane new models in one package.
Please don't be discouraged!

Albeoris

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
    • FFRTT
« Reply #203 on: 2019-09-08 14:59:51 »
I missed this. Blizzard lost the Starcraft souce code, but it was recovered shortly before/after the annoucement of Starcraft Remastered. It was literally in the news back in 2017.
They have debug symbols.

Lorath

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2019-09-08 15:18:54 »
They have debug symbols.

Care to elaborate? I'm not a computer programmer.

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2019-09-08 15:27:16 »
It's easier to reconstruct the source with it. FF7 and FF8 are gone.  Forever.  Reconstruction requires someone to lose their life.

greator

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2019-09-08 20:58:50 »

EDIT: about the FH concert music, at least Irish Jig WORKS during the Shumi Village sidequest, but it's not the PS1 version, nor the old MIDI one: https://youtu.be/bzE_xt03mpI?t=1768

I played the game so many time I never knew about this side quest or the music

Lorath

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2019-09-08 22:05:31 »
I played the game so many time I never knew about this side quest or the music

Well i didn't even know about Occult Fan III in Fisherman's Horizon until my last PS1 playthrough from 2007...

rick

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2019-09-09 07:54:03 »
did anyone here know how are called the files that contain the values of the cards ? (A,9 etc)

greator

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2019-09-09 13:10:20 »
Saw a video in YouTube during Squall and Rinoa on the ragnarok, they change the Eyes on me song into an instrumental version. Can someone clarify this?

If this is true then this is really a worst version of FF8.

Lorath

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2019-09-09 13:23:15 »
I have no idea, but i saw a video with the final boss and the ending and the song has the lyrics.

Fun fact: you cannot record both sequences on PS4 because COPYRIGHT DUH.

EDIT: just saw the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzuCzkCHt-I), and, well... it's like they removed the primary vocal track, but some of the lyrics were kept for whatever reason LOL. I wonder why nobody in the web covered this instead of wasting their time with that "SIREN BUH BUH BUH CENSORSHIP!" junk.

EDIT 2: i think they used this Karaoke version... LOL^2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK9d8jEdRiE but maybe it was replaced by the author of the video, we'll never know. Needs more feedback from people who actually played that sequence, since it's a mess to search for it on YouTube, 99% or them are PS4 gameplay videos, and, well...

EDIT 3: tried searching on the Steam forums, where they basically complain about anything that moves (blatantly lying, sometimes), and there's NOTHING about this. So i guess it's safe to assume it was a false alarm and the song was replaced by the author of the video. Also one of the guys in the PC video complained that "it does not sound like the PS4 version at all". So yeah...
« Last Edit: 2019-09-09 14:02:21 by Lorath »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2019-09-09 14:37:00 »
The ending has the music integrated with the video.  It's not the same thing.

And yes this is the worst version.

Lorath

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2019-09-09 15:03:37 »
Ok guys, CASE CLOSED.

https://youtu.be/VihNQgTKd9U?t=1895

This guy recorded the video on PS4, and the audio separately (you can guess it by the crappy quality lol), and it can still be heard when the video stops recording. Eyes On Me has full lyrics. The other video mentioned by greator had the music replaced on purpose to avoid problems (which ones? no FF8 videos ever got removed because of that song)

EDIT: more proofs, this is supposed to be a gameplay video from the Steam version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVkvEapMHkw
« Last Edit: 2019-09-09 18:41:25 by Lorath »

greator

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2019-09-09 20:00:04 »
Who knows right? Maybe JP ver have the full audio and ENG have that instrument only.
But yeah, if the song is still there then its OK, but not great.

Lorath

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2019-09-09 20:08:34 »
Well, nobody is complaining anywhere except the comments in the video. The uploader hasn't replied yet. It's not in the Steam forums. It's not in the news. Thousands of players finished that part across all platforms. Also isn't the Steam version the same in every part of the world? I'm seeing from the store page that it supports Japanese and EFIGS languages for text, but i'm not in Japan.
« Last Edit: 2019-09-09 20:15:49 by Lorath »

rick

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2019-09-10 04:44:08 »
is there anyone here that know what hexadecimal digits change in the exe in order to permanently active the effect of the item "hero" ? or also that can implement something that do the same thing by modifying the kernel.bin file trough doomtrain? (that basically would also imply to update the program itself)

Lorath

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2019-09-10 19:25:42 »
Just read that the Bahamut summon has no "roar" sound before doing the Megaflare attack... but apparently, it's the same on the old 2013 version and the 2000 one. Too bad.

EDIT: i don't mean that it's muted, there is a sound, but it's different from PS1, definitely not a "roar". Well at least they fixed those damn clouds...

EDIT 2: someone in the Steam forums actually tried to spread that thing about Eyes On Me but was quickly crushed.
« Last Edit: 2019-09-10 22:09:37 by Lorath »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2019-09-11 13:35:29 »
Well, nobody is complaining anywhere except the comments in the video. The uploader hasn't replied yet. It's not in the Steam forums. It's not in the news. Thousands of players finished that part across all platforms. Also isn't the Steam version the same in every part of the world? I'm seeing from the store page that it supports Japanese and EFIGS languages for text, but i'm not in Japan.

So the people on the video don't count at all? 

Lorath

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2019-09-11 14:32:11 »
Ahem... someone eventually made a comment on that video, confirming that at least on PS4 it's all fine. Not that it needed to be confirmed anyway.

Where are all the Steam players? There are very few gameplay videos and 90% of them are all about CD1 or CD2.

EDIT: there are more comments on that video confirming that the song is safe in all versions. Case closed, again.

EDIT 2: the final confirmation, so everyone will be happy now: https://youtu.be/_NBypKZlxiM?t=3349 NO PROBLEMS, THE SONG IS OKAY. FIN.
« Last Edit: 2019-09-15 00:12:18 by Lorath »

-Ric-

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2019-09-15 19:52:42 »
So here's my honest take after spending some time with the PS4 and Switch versions.

For Console players: Buy it. It's the only version that is available anyway and it's definitely worth the 20$. Especially on the Switch. Sure, you don't have the trophies (big deal anyway 🙄) but you get portability + the graphics don't look as bad on the 720p screen.

For PC users... Honestly, if you don't mind spending some time modding (and since you're on this forum, I'm gonna assume you don't), you don't need to buy this version. I think that the original, modded game might be a better fit. Unless you REALLY want the turbo option. Other than the turbo option, if you already own the original, you don't need to buy this one.

Lorath

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2019-09-15 20:38:10 »
The Turbo option was in the 2013 version, too. I was surprised it wasn't in FF7 at all (except for the Switch version from what i've read). I've always thought that the biggest mistake with FF8 on Steam is the 2013 version. They should've avoided making it or just give the Remaster as a free upgrade to all owners. It was clearly made with consoles in mind.

Funny how they called the PC players "hardcore" but gave them more boosters...

LordUrQuan

• VirtualBox dweller
  • Insane poster
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2019-09-15 20:43:49 »
So here's my honest take after spending some time with the PS4 and Switch versions.

For Console players: Buy it. It's the only version that is available anyway and it's definitely worth the 20$. Especially on the Switch. Sure, you don't have the trophies (big deal anyway 🙄) but you get portability + the graphics don't look as bad on the 720p screen.

For PC users... Honestly, if you don't mind spending some time modding (and since you're on this forum, I'm gonna assume you don't), you don't need to buy this version. I think that the original, modded game might be a better fit. Unless you REALLY want the turbo option. Other than the turbo option, if you already own the original, you don't need to buy this one.
Have a karma +1  (because someone *cough cough*) is karma-bombing everyone these days out of spite.  Very honest, but still leaves me in the lurch being a PC'00 owner of FF8 and only a PS2 for consoles... I'll still have to wait for O8 it seems  :-[

-Ric-

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2019-09-15 23:08:37 »
The Turbo option was in the 2013 version, too. I was surprised it wasn't in FF7 at all (except for the Switch version from what i've read).

Well I actually didn't know that the steam version of VIII had the turbo lol. FF7 on PS4 has the turbo too btw, I believe the same is true for the Xbox.

Have a karma +1  (because someone *cough cough*) is karma-bombing everyone these days out of spite.  Very honest, but still leaves me in the lurch being a PC'00 owner of FF8 and only a PS2 for consoles... I'll still have to wait for O8 it seems  :-[

Haha yeah, there's a lot of salt around. Well this new version isn't "bad" by all means. While I do believe that the older versions with the right mods can end up looking better, for people who are too lazy to bother with modding and just want something that's ready to go out of the box... for 19.99$ it's still a good buy. Besides it's a matter of time before it goes on sale and drops to 14.99$ or something.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • No life
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #223 on: 2019-09-15 23:26:13 »
Here's some more salt for you. Preferring an out-of-box experience doesn't equate to being lazy. Some folks just want to use their time elsewhere.

-Ric-

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2019-09-16 00:13:38 »
Here's some more salt for you. Preferring an out-of-box experience doesn't equate to being lazy. Some folks just want to use their time elsewhere.

Absolutely. I didn't mean lazy in a negative way. More like "I don't have time for all this and just want to enjoy the game".