Author Topic: [FF8PC - Steam] Succession Mod (v.1.0)  (Read 22219 times)

Percival

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC - Steam] Succession Mod (v.1.0)
« Reply #75 on: 2020-11-28 16:06:55 »
@Rikku  Thank you so much!

In regards to Ragnarok, as I have said before, Succession is compatible with anything that doesn't change the field.fs files. That makes it compatible with almost all graphical mods, and around 85% of Ragnarok.

I use Ragnarok regularily, and love it, and Succession is compatible with all of the battle related changes, and character/ability changes. But any event related changes (extra battles, quests, item rewards, drawpoints, card locations) are, very sadly, not compatible at this point.

I do, however, plan to soon release a compatibility version of Martial Law. It is a re-balanced version that plays well with Ragnarok. It is the version I currently use.

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2020-11-28 16:20:31 »
My first playthrough of this game is with YOUR script, so for the rest of my life, your version will be the one that shines.

That makes me very intrigued, and a little nervous... Most people who play this mod will already have a fairly intimate knowledge of the vanilla story, including myself, of course. And I wrote this mod with that in mind. That means that your perspective and feedback will be highly unique, and potentially very informative. You might notice something that I and other players are more likely to overlook. And if your girlfriend is playing the original, perhaps the two of you can compare notes!

Please let me know if you run into any story moments that appear confusing or contradictory. And don't forget to make liberal use of the spoiler feature whenever appropriate.
« Last Edit: 2020-11-28 16:52:19 by Percival »

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2020-11-28 16:26:40 »
I think next time I play will be using PSIO on the PS1.  Will this mod be in any way compatible?  That would be amazing if so.

I'm not familiar with PSIO. Isn't it some sort of streaming service? If it relies on local files on your hard drive, then it would depend on the file structure. If the files are the same as the steam version, then this mod should work just fine. But if it functions like an ISO-style emulator, then no.

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2020-11-28 16:34:20 »
will you ever port this to Remastered?

I have to be honest, I was VERY disappointed with the 'Remastered' release, especially when comparing it to all the incredible work from the A Class modders on this site. I haven't even looked into modding for it, yet.

I absolutely plan on making this mod compatible with the Remaster, but I'm not yet sure if it will be an easy process, or a hard one.

FatherMcKenzie

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2020-11-28 17:11:48 »
Christmas came early this year :)

I would encourage you to post this on Reddit, both r/FinalFantasyVIII and r/FinalFantasy

The simplicity of the mod is notable as well. That could draw in a lot of first-time modders or those hesitant to mod.

Congrats on this big undertaking!!

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2020-11-28 17:45:54 »
I would encourage you to post this on Reddit, both r/FinalFantasyVIII and r/FinalFantasy

Thanks!  That's very good advice. As a general rule, I avoid Reddit like I avoid drinking mercury. But in this case, I'm sure you're right.

Also, FatherMcKenzie, I am very interested in your feedback on the Squall/Quistis relationship. I took your previous feedback very seriously, and did my best to bring that tension to the forefront in disc 3. There were not a lot of opportunities, but I would like to think I did well with what was available. (Don't forget to complete the Card Club quest!)
« Last Edit: 2020-11-28 17:52:19 by Percival »

Rikku

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2020-11-28 19:02:19 »
I am looking forward to play it :)

@Rikku  Thank you so much!

In regards to Ragnarok, as I have said before, Succession is compatible with anything that doesn't change the field.fs files. That makes it compatible with almost all graphical mods, and around 85% of Ragnarok.

I use Ragnarok regularily, and love it, and Succession is compatible with all of the battle related changes, and character/ability changes. But any event related changes (extra battles, quests, item rewards, drawpoints, card locations) are, very sadly, not compatible at this point.

I do, however, plan to soon release a compatibility version of Martial Law. It is a re-balanced version that plays well with Ragnarok. It is the version I currently use.

anikava

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2020-11-28 20:00:49 »
I know it's not possible ATM but i wish so much i would be able to play this mod with randomiser from Maelstorm, but unfortunately they seem to alter one and the same file. Could you make somehow sometime a way to do it, please?
https://github.com/sleepeybunney/maelstrom/tree/master/FF8Mod    :'(

Kandy_Man

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2020-11-28 22:18:19 »
  I'm not familiar with PSIO. Isn't it some sort of streaming service? If it relies on local files on your hard drive, then it would depend on the file structure. If the files are the same as the steam version, then this mod should work just fine. But if it functions like an ISO-style emulator, then no.
PSIO is essentially a flash drive for the PS1.  I'm basically asking if this mod would be compatible with the OG PS1 version of the game.  I highly doubt it will be, but it would cool if it was :)

Kandy_Man

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2020-12-04 09:27:17 »
I reinstalled FF8 on my laptop to give this mod a try and I'm so glad I did.  I had barely gotten out of the infirmary and had a huge smile on my face.  So far I've reached Dollet and if I had to offer any constructive criticism it would be that it seemed a little odd that Quistis is telling Squall to lighten up in the Fire Cavern after she has been shown up until then to be quite a strict instructor, and continues being quite strict afterwards.  Just a small kind of "huh?" when compared to the rest of her interactions so far.  I'll continue making notes as I go but so far I'm very excited to continue playing, awesome work.

goat

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2020-12-05 20:38:14 »
I'm loving this so far!
As my first play through, I feel like the plot is making sense.
But.... THERE ARE A LOT OF GRAMMAR ISSUES! =p

"Your" is not "you're." ;)

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2020-12-06 17:17:37 »
...if I had to offer any constructive criticism it would be that it seemed a little odd that Quistis is telling Squall to lighten up in the Fire Cavern after she has been shown up until then to be quite a strict instructor, and continues being quite strict afterwards.  Just a small kind of "huh?" when compared to the rest of her interactions so far.
That's an interesting observation. This moment is fairly faithful to the way the vanilla dialogue plays out, though the original is a little more blunt. If I am interpreting the original correctly, then this is typical for Quistis. One moment her manner is highly professional, and the next she flirts with Squall like a common school girl.

Also, keep in mind the hallway scene outside the infirmary. I believe this scene was also meant to set up the less-serious aspect of her character, where she asked Squall a personal question and then laughed at him while completing his sentences. I think the original was going for something like: confident, pragmatic, and occasionally playful. And I tried my best to stay true to that interpretation of her character.

Maybe I could see about including one more line early on that establishes her playful nature.
« Last Edit: 2020-12-06 17:28:06 by Percival »

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2020-12-06 17:22:53 »
@goat
Thanks!  I have already found a couple myself, and uploaded a small update. Any examples you provide will be fixed as soon as possible. I am my own proofreader, unfortunately, and every scene in this mod has gone through more than one edit. I will continue to update anytime you post any errors.

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2020-12-06 17:52:03 »
I know it's not possible ATM but i wish so much i would be able to play this mod with randomiser from Maelstorm, but unfortunately they seem to alter one and the same file. Could you make somehow sometime a way to do it, please?
https://github.com/sleepeybunney/maelstrom/tree/master/FF8Mod    :'(
Yeah, I get what you're saying. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly a pro coder, so something like that would be a little out of my depth. I'm sure there are others on the forums that could find a way, but not me.

Kandy_Man

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2020-12-06 19:00:38 »
That's an interesting observation. This moment is fairly faithful to the way the vanilla dialogue plays out, though the original is a little more blunt. If I am interpreting the original correctly, then this is typical for Quistis. One moment her manner is highly professional, and the next she flirts with Squall like a common school girl.

Also, keep in mind the hallway scene outside the infirmary. I believe this scene was also meant to set up the less-serious aspect of her character, where she asked Squall a personal question and then laughed at him while completing his sentences. I think the original was going for something like: confident, pragmatic, and occasionally playful. And I tried my best to stay true to that interpretation of her character.

Maybe I could see about including one more line early on that establishes her playful nature.
Yeah I remember it being the same in the original, I think what makes it a little more odd for me is that she appears a lot more strict in this mod than the original so it seemed a little more out of character compared to the original, though you're right I forgot about the scene outside the infirmary.  It's just an observation though, I'm loving it so far.

I also noticed a few grammar things as well that I kept a note of as I went:

Dollet central square, Squall: we should have tried to stopped them
Post Dollet, Seifer: Quistis... I’m ashamed (should this be I'm disappointed?)
Cid’s office: continuing to enhancing balamb gardens already exceptional reputation

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2020-12-06 23:16:48 »
@Kandy_Man
  After reviewing the Quistis scene, I agree with you 100%. While it is consistent with her character in general, it is definitely out of place within this scene. I'll fix it.
  You'll have to forgive me. I've already changed so much, that I hesitate to change more without a very good reason.

I went ahead and changed the central square scene, and Cid's office.

Seifer is a bit different, though. I definitely meant what he said, that he was "ashamed", and to imply that he was ashamed (of her). The tone I imagined was a blend of derision, condescension, and superiority. But that is harder to convey without voice acting. “Disappointed” works, and it’ll avoid any confusion, but it just doesn’t seem to cut as hard as “ashamed”. 

I just changed it to “I’m ashamed to hear you say that.” I think that helps maintain the sense of superiority that I was after.

Thanks, again!
« Last Edit: 2020-12-07 00:54:50 by Percival »

goat

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2020-12-07 10:29:19 »
I had been keeping a small tally of grammar issues... but then they sorta became too common and I lost count. Heheh. Sorry. =p

But to be honest, after watching some gameplay of the original, I have to admit that outside the grammar issues, your dialog is so REAL and TRUE. It's simply beautiful! I love your version, and when comparing it to the original, your version SHINES with true feeling!

Like while meeting Edea in the Orphanage at the beginning of disk 3, the way you wrote Squall's anger is SO DAMN REAL, and so powerful. I was SHOCKED to see that same scene play out in the original: It was so underwhelming.

Gosh, I'm LOVING your mod. But I swear, the only thing that's keeping it from truly replacing the original are some grammar issues. These grammar mistakes really are quite common to be honest, so I've stopped keeping track. But either way, I'm really appreciating and enjoying your mod. it is making my first playthrough MEANINGFUL.

And I'm learning more about you too. The way you write is powerful and engaging. It's refreshing and glorious.

Kandy_Man

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2020-12-07 11:06:41 »
@Kandy_Man
  After reviewing the Quistis scene, I agree with you 100%. While it is consistent with her character in general, it is definitely out of place within this scene. I'll fix it.
  You'll have to forgive me. I've already changed so much, that I hesitate to change more without a very good reason.

I went ahead and changed the central square scene, and Cid's office.

Seifer is a bit different, though. I definitely meant what he said, that he was "ashamed", and to imply that he was ashamed (of her). The tone I imagined was a blend of derision, condescension, and superiority. But that is harder to convey without voice acting. “Disappointed” works, and it’ll avoid any confusion, but it just doesn’t seem to cut as hard as “ashamed”. 

I just changed it to “I’m ashamed to hear you say that.” I think that helps maintain the sense of superiority that I was after.

Thanks, again!
I completely understand not wanting to change things without a good reason, and glad you agree, I'm loving it so far so I want it to be the best it can be :)

I get what you mean with Seifers dialog now, I think that small change will clear things up.  If I find anything else I'll be back :D

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2020-12-07 17:46:09 »
@goat
  Wow, thank you!  That is high praise. It's perhaps the most encouragement I've had for this mod, yet.

Regarding the grammatical issues and typos, I may have overestimated my ability to proofread such a large script with no spellcheck or auto-correct. (Which is kind of funny since I’ve worked as a proofreader in the past. But maybe it’s a little different when it’s your own work.)

I’ve already started another play-through solely for proofreading purposes. I apologize for releasing the mod in its current state, and I’m continuing to release updates every few days with any corrections I make.
« Last Edit: 2020-12-07 19:08:49 by Percival »

circle

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2020-12-10 04:41:06 »
Hi Percival, congratulations on finishing the mod! I'm excited to play it soon

You mentioned that the mod is mostly compatible with Ragnarok, but not completely due to both mods using the same file. I assume that means Ragnarok should be installed first because Succession will then replace one (some?) files? I haven't tried a gameplay mod for FF8 before, so I thought it'd be fun to try (most of) Ragnarok along with Succession

HeavensFury

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2020-12-16 00:04:51 »
Keep up the proofreading work, Percival! It's coming along nicely. Beautiful work indeed. lol

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2020-12-16 19:09:07 »
@Circle
 Yes. Follow all of Callisto's instructions, then drag & drop the Succession files last.

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2020-12-16 19:13:31 »
@HeavensFury
  Thanks! I just uploaded another update, which includes my correction of the Fire Cavern scene with Quistis. I also updated the first discussion between Rinoa and Quistis on the train after Timber. It was a tertiary scene on my bucket list. Rinoa no longer criticizes Zone's apparent vice.
« Last Edit: 2020-12-16 19:39:32 by Percival »

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2020-12-16 19:32:51 »
@Kandy_Man
  For the Fire Cavern scene, Quistis is no longer trying to flirt with Squall. Instead, she’s nagging him with advice, and Squall becomes visibly upset with her.

I believe this fits the tone much better, and is in harmony with her repeated and overbearing tutorials. Especially because it should be assumed that Squall doesn't actually need these tutorials (like how to use his own gunblade), even if a first-time player does.

Let me know what you think!

Kandy_Man

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2020-12-17 08:01:28 »
@Kandy_Man
  For the Fire Cavern scene, Quistis is no longer trying to flirt with Squall. Instead, she’s nagging him with advice, and Squall becomes visibly upset with her.

I believe this fits the tone much better, and is in harmony with her repeated and overbearing tutorials. Especially because it should be assumed that Squall doesn't actually need these tutorials (like how to use his own gunblade), even if a first-time player does.

Let me know what you think!
That's a very interesting approach, I'll take a look later today! :D