Author Topic: FF7 Crisis Core Upscale Project  (Read 487 times)

eqprog

• View Profile
FF7 Crisis Core Upscale Project
« on: 2020-06-26 05:46:35 »

After a couple of months of work, I'm finally ready to present to you all the first beta for my (much bigger than imagined) quarantine project.

Here's some screenshots:

A big thank you is necessary to Devina and KaosuReido of this very forum, whose work in upscaling the FF7CC UI inspired me to start working on this project.

Follow the (super basic) instructions on the github page for installation. At this current stage, please don't report simple things like "this texture looks bad." There is manual editing which will be necessary to fix some of the textures, mostly those with transparencies. However, feel free to contribute any work to the "missing textures" branch on the github page if you are so inclined.

Otherwise, enjoy! I will do my best to regularly update this project as long as I am able.

Download FF7CCUP on Github.

Download FF7CCUP on Google Drive.
(Keep in mind that the github page will always have the latest available version - I will try to remember to update this link as things progress.)
« Last Edit: Today at 04:55:48 by eqprog »

Devina

• View Profile
Re: FF7 Crisis Core Upscale Project
« Reply #1 on: 2020-06-26 08:07:06 »
As the instructions say, everyone can download it by clicking Clone (green button) > Download zip. Put everything inside the FF7CCUP-master folder into the ULUS10336 folder. It will be 3GB worth.

I encourage everyone using this to go into PPSSPP's Options > Controls > Control mapping.
Scroll down to Texture replacement and assign a keyboard shortcut to it, so you can easily compare before/after.

I would actually encourage people to be on the lookout for certain texture issues, because some stuff may go unnoticed.
This includes:

-Offensively bad textures which you think may go unnoticed because it may be somewhat hidden away
-Textures which look too inaccurate to the original or lose important detail when upscaled
-Texture seam issues, example: https://i.imgur.com/PU6Vyes.png
-Animation errors which are likely to occur when the low-poly models are on-screen, example: https://i.imgur.com/A29mW9U.gif

But like eqprog said, if it's as blatant as an obvious ugly Shinra logo or something, then we probably already know about it.

Some people may be wondering how this project compares to vierock's. Our version is incompatible with vierock's who seems to have left the forum and abandoned their project, so don't try installing both of them. Our version currently is currently a basic upscale of essentially everything whereas vierock's misses a lot. We do plan on going into certain textures and HDifying them while trying to be faithful to the original where it counts. Also, me and eqprog plan on being active so this project won't be abandoned and will have constant updates. Our project is also going to be more open source so all texture artists are welcome.
« Last Edit: 2020-06-27 09:33:34 by Devina »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-06-30 03:36:03 »

Devina, I edited your idea a little bit. I tried to put the psd file on git but apparently it was too big.

Otherwise, some work done on the backend stuff for the texture gallery/viewer.  Eventually I'd like to develop it as a more flexible tool so that other people making similar projects will be able to utilize it. I've got two more days in a row off from my day job so hopefully I'll be able to implement all the features in that time.

For those wondering what I'm talking about:

If you run "eval_img.py" (python required - instructions on github) you can use this program to compare the original texture vs the upscaled texture, as well as open up both files in your favorite editor/viewer. Hopefully I will get some updates done soon which will let users apply filters to easily find the texture that they want to edit.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-06-30 10:50:24 »
That computer screen is defo an improvement. :)

I just noticed that a lot of textures have a bit of a chromatic abberation applied which sucks a bit, some worse than others. Ideally, we should try to remove it. For grey/black textures (like Zack's hair), it's easy to remove it via Photoshop via desaturation. I doubt you want to go through the whole game game, but you have the masterdumps folder, so you could always locate the bad ones.

Do you think you can fix some issues?

-Missing glass on the big windows near debriefing room
-While wearing Zack's black outfit, if you idle a bit, one of the animations wasn't done
-In the Loveless alley, the floor texture near the sewers holes is off. Also, just the floor in general looks poor

I plan on doing these textures so you don't have to worry about them:

-Lvl 49 Soldier floor texture
-Shinra logo elevator
-Logo on blue car in exhibit room
-Shinra sign and door in exhibit room
-Shinra signs in main lobby
-License plate in Loveless alley

I find specific textures using this method:

-Save state at the scene
-Drag textures folder out of memstick folder
-Dump textures
-Drag textures back
-Look in the "new" folder to get the filename

Copy the file name and look for it in the textures folder.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-06-30 18:20:08 »
Holy cow Zack never looked this good - except when his swimwear

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-07-01 01:43:13 »
Yeah, the way the emulator dumps the textures really works against us. I wish there were a better way to distinguish what we were dealing with.

I spent waaaay too long today fiddling with this. I guess you could say the whole thing is a learning experience! Whatever my next project is will hopefully go smoother.

Anyways, I got the evaluator able to filter by the available categories. It could be implemented a little better but I think I'm almost at the point where it works for what we need it for and I won't be really improving it much. Tomorrow I will add a search field so that you can search by filename.
Honestly its too difficult to go search for specific textures so what I'm doing is just getting myself into a category and working at it one by one.

Chrysalis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-07-01 15:20:54 »
amazing work, thanks.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-07-01 21:26:47 »
I would actually recommend doing it by chapter, not by folders, because that's how people will experience the game.
I think that way, it'd be better to focus on the things that matter more.
For example, I'm in chapter 1, doing various signs around the Shinra Building.

What world map did you use for the computer background btw?
There's a world map in the hallway that needs a new version. I can work on that.

I also think it'd be a good idea if we began using this thread as a way to keep us updated on what's being added/changed. I notice you're doing some stuff on Github, but I don't really know what you're doing because that website is a bit confusing.

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2020-07-01 22:17:23 »
That looks very very good. Great job!

As for the world map, check out the /edits/linked objects folder and open world_map.psb . Assuming you're using photoshop it is a smart object that will update in your documents if its modified. Here's a png tho.

As far as the source, I took a depth map meant for a 3d printer and essentially colorized/texturized it.

Yesterday I was mostly working on improving the texture viewer. Today I'm working on the foliage textures. I haven't pushed anything yet. I decided to do these first because the AI really did a bad job and they require a bunch of tedious editing. I've taken a big chunk out of it so far though.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:17:46 by eqprog »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 04:05:29 »
Posting an example here so the work can be seen:

Original

AI upscaled... I put a background on this one to make sure the artifacts could be clearly seen

A little bit of TLC put on it and it looks much better. I kind of have a process now so hopefully the rest of them should be done in the next few days.

Devina, continue working as you are, I think its a good idea. Just make sure you push your work to the repository. I recommend you get the github desktop application that way you'll have a working folder on your harddrive to more easily get your work uploaded. The best way to make sure we don't do overlapping work is to work in different areas and to keep the branch up to date.

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 04:54:46 »
I got some feedback saying that downloading this from github is very slow - here is a google drive link to the version we have now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xj4KSkRlcfxIlmmRYiCLhOmc4P6A_-Kw/view?usp=sharing

Keep in mind that the github page will always have the latest available version - I will try to remember to update this link as things progress.