Author Topic: [FF7PC] Are there any mods that fix the PC port's broken lighting?  (Read 365 times)

Lollie

• View Profile
Ever since the '98 Eidos port (and right up to the most recent console ports), every room in FF7 has had broken lighting. The ports light everything from the camera's position (like a camera flash), instead of using each room's lighting information.

Are there any mods that fix the lighting? Or any hard info on why the lighting is broken like this?

(Imgur album with full-res comparison images)

« Last Edit: 2021-02-19 11:30:40 by Lollie »

Kuraudo.

• Panta rei
    • View Profile
You are talking of the 3d models light in field right? That's a known issue. But I'm not sure if anything was done yet.
« Last Edit: 2021-02-23 06:47:14 by Kuraudo. »

Fewtch

• All good things in time
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Its wild that Ive never noticed this before, nor have a heard any mention of it anywhere, but there it is, impossible to miss now that I see it.  ???

Kuraudo.

• Panta rei
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2021-02-23 06:42:18 by Kuraudo. »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Its wild that Ive never noticed this before, nor have a heard any mention of it anywhere, but there it is, impossible to miss now that I see it.  ???

I have brought this up some years ago on the reunion thread. The problem is a bit difficult. The main problem is probably a difference in displaying coordinations. The PSX has some strange logic and doesn't follow the usual xyz. Though the PSX does also bake the light on the models and I can't say in what position it does that. On PC the light is applied in real time on the model.

Lollie

• View Profile
2005: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=4582.msg61116#msg61116
Wow, 2005. This thread in particular gave some decent insight into FF7's field lighting, thank you for digging it up!

I have brought this up some years ago on the reunion thread. The problem is a bit difficult. The main problem is probably a difference in displaying coordinations. The PSX has some strange logic and doesn't follow the usual xyz. Though the PSX does also bake the light on the models and I can't say in what position it does that. On PC the light is applied in real time on the model.
Ah, I saw your name in Reunion's big spreadsheet about this bug! I never realized that FF7-PS1's lighting wasn't being updated on every frame, that's a funny quirk. Thanks for the info!

After a little poking around, I have a suspicion that lighting is baked into models based on what the first available animation is for each model per field (this usually ends up being a neutral standing pose). It seems though that Makou Reactor can't currently edit which models appear per field in FF7-PS1, so I don't know how to test this theory..