Author Topic: Enhance FF7 midi with any soundcard  (Read 12321 times)

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
Enhance FF7 midi with any soundcard
« on: 2003-06-09 08:30:34 »
I was messing around with this new editor I got, and I started fooling around with the ff7 soundfonts that came with ff7.I saved them to dls1 in the hopes that it would work with the microsoft sw synth. Well it worked so I started messing around and merging all the ff7 soundfonts to get something worth listening to and this is what I came up with.

To get these to work, first save the dls files to your "C:\windows\system32\drivers\"  Directory, and back up gm.dls to anything else. Then rename ff7.dls to gm.dls. I also made lb2.dls just incase you want the final boss chorr. After that just use Microsoft SW synth to playback midi. In ff7, it works best with the gm or awe midi...you will need awe to play the voices at the final boss.
Fixed a few insturment banks, but there are still a few missing. Anyway, this is pointless for sblive owners, but I thought that people without soundcards with soundfont support might enjoy this.

FF7.DLS Download
LB2.DLS Download

BTW - you will need Windows XP for this, although I hear dls files can be loaded with dx9 and the countrol panel extension...not sure on that though...holy crap, its 3:30am, better get some sleep cause i gotta wake up at 6:00-7:00 for school

Rubicant

• Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2003-06-09 11:02:25 »
Did you just take FF7.sf2 and convert it to DLS? I tried doing that before and it turned out bad. I'll test it myself now.

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-06-09 14:21:55 »
if you dont like it, i can always copy and merge fluid and a few other synths to dls. but i didnt think you would want a 80+mb dls file

Rubicant

• Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-06-09 23:25:53 »
Okay, I guess I was kinda skeptical at first. It does sound fairly decent, but there are a few flaws. That's what my dls conversion was like, too. The synth strings were really quiet, and some instruments were overbearing in volume. One instrument that I know for sure is screwy is 39-synthbass. I looked at it in awave and it seemed fine. I wonder what's wrong with it.

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-06-10 00:04:24 »
you seem to know alot about soundfonts....have you made any?
ok, enough messin around with these crappy awefonts...im going to start a new one from scratch that sounds identical to the psx version

Smurgen

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
« Reply #5 on: 2003-06-10 02:09:07 »
Anyone figure out how to yank the sounds from a PSF itself?

tekwiz99

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2003-06-10 08:59:02 »
good effort!! i'm one of those who is too lazy to load that monsterous SBLive! accessories onto windows OS. but i already have the game in seperate partition along with dedicated OS for it.

as of now, you are welcome to give us some pointers as well as for test purpose.

Rubicant

• Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2003-06-10 13:47:48 »
To answer your question, Mofokubik, yes I have worked with soundfonts. But I haven't started any from scratch, because quite frankly I don't have the patience or resources. However, I am slowly building up ff7.sf2 and I am adding in instruments here and there. However, they are instruments from other games, such as FF4 and FF5. But I did get a great sample of my electric bass. It is definately bass-ful.

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2003-06-10 17:07:30 »
if you want to use the slap bass I made a while ago, and im using in my soundfont, you can test it out or use it in yours or whatever... :) It is rather nice for how small it is

http://bin.mypage.sk/FILES/SLAP.rar

Rubicant

• Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2003-06-11 00:38:31 »
Quote from: Smurgen
Anyone figure out how to yank the sounds from a PSF itself?
They're bound to,  considering that they also found a way to take the instruments out of SPC's and plop them into .IT files. It's gonna happen sooner or later.

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2003-06-11 05:55:20 »
i dont think that there is a need to, as most if not all of the samples in the ff7 soundfonts that came with the pc version are the same as the psx version. They arent looped very good though, also the sfs are put together very badly. Im going to remake all of these ff soundfonts. The samples are small, and easy to loop, so it wont take me that long. expect it done within a week.

Goku7

• No life
    • View Profile
Re: Enhance FF7 midi with any soundcard
« Reply #11 on: 2003-06-11 23:40:22 »
Quote from: Mofokubik
I was messing around with this new editor I got, and I started fooling around with the ff7 soundfonts that came with ff7.I saved them to dls1 in the hopes that it would work with the microsoft sw synth. Well it worked so I started messing around and merging all the ff7 soundfonts to get something worth listening to and this is what I came up with.

To get these to work, first save the dls files to your "C:\windows\system32\drivers\"  Directory, and back up gm.dls to anything else. Then rename ff7.dls to gm.dls. I also made lb2.dls just incase you want the final boss chorr. After that just use Microsoft SW synth to playback midi. In ff7, it works best with the gm or awe midi...you will need awe to play the voices at the final boss.
Fixed a few insturment banks, but there are still a few missing. Anyway, this is pointless for sblive owners, but I thought that people without soundcards with soundfont support might enjoy this.

FF7.DLS Download
LB2.DLS Download

BTW - you will need Windows XP for this, although I hear dls files can be loaded with dx9 and the countrol panel extension...not sure on that though...holy crap, its 3:30am, better get some sleep cause i gotta wake up at 6:00-7:00 for school

As I recall, there were a few attempts at replacing the GM.DLS file for better MIDI playback, but for some reason Windows noticed it and immediately "repaired" the new file, replacing it with the standard GM.dls.

How did you get around that, especially in XP?!?!?!  I would've expected Win98SE and lower to allow you to pull it off (since it doesn't have that automatic critical windows file protection thing that this is an example of)....

Good job. :D

Oh, one more thing.  Try making another conversion, this time from SF2>DLS2, since the file formats share many of the same features and thus theorectically make the conversion more "stable" in terms of having all the instruments not have those wide volume sweeps between each other.

Anonymous

Re: Enhance FF7 midi with any soundcard
« Reply #12 on: 2003-06-12 00:34:34 »
Goku7

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2003-06-12 01:10:59 »
Of course!  Now why didn't I think of that?! </rhetorical question> :P

By the way, what are the backup files stored as (I assume they're using a different file extention and/or are compressed), and where are they?

-edit-
Memo to self:

Next time, read the stinkin' thread that was linked, before asking a stupid question. :P

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2003-06-12 02:37:20 »
right now, im remaking the ff7 soundfonts that came with the pc version so they sound just like the psx version. also when im done with that, i will do a perfect conversion to dls2, and find an alternative/better way to load the dls files...
i tried the dls files on my schools computer, there was a soundmax dls loader on it already, and it worked at first, then windows picked this up and i couldnt use it anymore...i just need to find a better synth than microsofts....

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2003-06-13 21:12:58 »
1, i figured out how to load sf2 files with any card..but windows protection makes it freeze after a few seconds, and i found a few more solutions.

2, i dont have the psf files on this computer, so can someone please check this to make sure it sounds like the psx version or not..
http://bin.mypage.sk/FILES/Wave3.mp3
its what i got done so far with this crappy soundfont.

Goku7

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2003-06-13 22:33:21 »
Sample-wise, it sounds close enough (that goes for each instrument, so good job), though you're missing the bass line...either that, or your soundfont is missing a bass instrument.

Keep on working, its showing promise. :D

On a side note, how big is the 'font?

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: 2003-06-13 22:46:41 »
Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2003-06-13 23:11:23 »
im building it from scratch and i dont have every instrument done yet, right now it uses about 3mb of ram...

to load sf2 files with non creative labs, i used virtual synth, and some new drivers for it and nt called midi yoke...with most soundfonts the instruments are really screwd up, but its a start... :wink:
im going to see how well gravis soft synth works later...and maybe see if i can load soundfonts into jet midi...

and here is what i have done with my font so far so just try it for yourself...
ff7 awe soundfont remake
and btw, i made it for gm, not awe or xg or anything like that

tekwiz99

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2003-06-14 05:00:23 »
going to test it over the weekend... nice effort!! :love:

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2003-06-18 00:35:05 »
damn, this is what i have done so far -_-
i thought that i would be done by now. no matter, i will still be done in a week (before i go on vacation) tell me what sucks so i can fix it

i already know the violin is really bad, and the banjo isnt so hot either.

Final Fantasy 7 Soundfont

Rubicant

• Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2003-06-18 01:21:02 »
Not too bad. Some of the instruments are overly quiet. Especially on the bike chase song. But you definately did iseki the sloppy way with using instrument 128. Oh well, I'm not complaining. I don't even use midi/soundfonts anymore...let alone play ff7.

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2003-06-18 01:30:59 »
Heh, In Iseki I just recorded and looped it from the psx version, then since there wasnt any drums in that song, stuck it in patch128 on channel 10. I tried using pitch bend but it sounded really bad.

KojiroTakenashi

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2003-06-19 17:39:33 »
Hey there.

...You bastard.

As I recall, there were a few attempts at replacing the GM.DLS file for better MIDI playback, but for some reason Windows noticed it and immediately "repaired" the new file, replacing it with the standard GM.dls.

Yes, the PCDLS project, which never really got off the ground because...well, meh, I'll do it later. XD

Mofokubik, Join us...and together...we might actually get some real progress done.

Mofokubik

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2003-06-20 02:41:10 »
ill join you as soon as i get mine done first. i was planning on finishing this sf2 100% then doing all of the midis, then making a patch, then converting the sf2 to dls, then fixing any broken instruments in the dls. It sounds like alot, but its really not that much at all. your welcome to help me if you want :P