Author Topic: Excessive Quoting and Other Problems  (Read 12388 times)

qwerty

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
Excessive Quoting and Other Problems
« on: 2004-08-08 19:44:58 »
I've noticed some problems about extensive correcting done by the mods. I'm wondering if it's possible to do a "highlight and quote" kinda thing maybe with a phpBB plugin of some sort? I've seen pages of quotes for one sentence of comment. Maybe this will bring some stress off the mods and they will be less crabby. :)  j/k But it would help dial-up users with loading times.

Another problem is inactive users. There are around 800 something users registered here and they only have like 5 posts to their names. Some registered back in 2001! Maybe there's a way to limit the inactivity period to something like 1 year to keep the numbers down. I'm so sick of having to dig for miles to find users on this site or posts done by people who actually stay here. I have to be very specific if I don't want a flood of posts done by people who I don't even know or had something real to say. It might easier to make an archive of old posts from longer than 8 months ago that won't mix in with the regular search tool. Maybe make a seperate search tool for very old posts?

I hope someone considers these ideas for future implementation into these forums. Thank You.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • No life
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-08 20:11:11 »
The exssecive accounts are what happens with most BBS systems. It's an arifact of the system itself.

As for quoting, It's not so much the one line posts that are a problem, it's with you get a half of page of the following:

"yea"
"you think this?"
 "sure"
 "Ok, when"
 "soon"

That grabs my goat. All you need is three or four posts like the above for it to be annoying.

Darkdevil

• Freak
    • View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-09 07:27:39 »
I take it you are reffering to the post destroyers qwerty.

These only ever happen when the mods and admins get significantly pissed (Read : in a banning mood)  Allthough bunnie maru seems to havea likefor them too.

Halkun : Thats probably my fault those happen...Im not really a man of words >_>

Aaron

• No life
    • View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-09 12:11:26 »
We actually did recently remove all users who had 0 posts... the user list used to be a lot longer. :P

I usually correct certain things in the forums I moderate, one of them being excessive quoting.  For instance, you don't need to quote half a page of text if it was in the post right above yours, or have a quote-in-a-quote-in-a-quote of past conversation.  You can easily modify what is to be quoted when you are making your post, and you don't have to use the Quote button to respond, you can just copy a sentence to the clipboard, paste it in your reply and use [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags.

[Edit] The 0 post users are still there... hmm... I thought I remembered them being removed when we got the new banner across the top.

qwerty

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-09 13:29:45 »
I know about the copy paste technique but some people are too lazy. That's why I suggested the highlight and click method. To help stop the over-quoting.

I also said the inactive users should have a time limit. If you destroy ALL of the 0 count posters, some could be newbies that just signed up a day ago! Then it'll become a deterrent to the site.

Yeah, I know the plans sound stupid, but it helps. I'm still looking foward to some more suggestions though.

Relf

• Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-09 13:58:43 »
One question is however, is who's/what's going to go therough the members list and pick out who stays and wo goes? :-?

Jedimark

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-09 22:00:19 »
An e-mail could go out to everyone with 0 posts or something asking them to re-validate their account. If they don't do it within a fixed time period then delete the account.

Relf

• Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-10 00:12:57 »
Some users have stopped posting but have posted 1-5 times asking a question, however will a deleted account remove their posts?

Ged

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
    • http://acn.waw.pl/vanyel
« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-10 06:11:49 »
AFAIR, after the deletion of an account, such posts are left as written by nick, "guest" underneath.

Bunnie-Maru

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-10 07:53:07 »
Lets face it:

Alot of the time, people just need a quick solution to a frustrating problem. Arn't Guests allowed only in the Completely Unrelated section? Why not put Guests in all of them? People dont stop by for a quick chat about Hiding Files, Crashing Hard Drives, and PSP Rip-offs, so why put only Guests in Completely Unrelated? I think it would save alot of space and reduce the amount of dead weight.

Then again, I could be totaly wrong and not know Guests are allowed on all boards... :isee:

J*** H*******

« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-10 19:48:20 »
Message.

Bunnie-Maru

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2004-08-11 00:56:00 »
Care to explain how exactly it would do that?

I kinda just did...o_o

People make accounts just so they can ask a question, and forget all about them...if Guests were allowed on all boards, people wouldnt be making accounts to ask one question and then forget all about them and just leave them active...

I'd rather see 100 guests than 100 users with 2 posts to their name, both posted 2 years ago  -_-

Qhimm

• Founder
  • No life
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #12 on: 2004-08-11 01:31:44 »
  • Guest posts are harder to moderate. An unused account is easy to remove.
  • One account only takes up about as much space as one medium-sized post. There are 800 users, but 32,000+ posts.
  • If you have to register to post, it's too much hassle unless the question is actually important.
  • If you can just post as Guest and leave, why bother even looking at the rules?
  • If Guests were allowed on all boards, people wouldn't even have to spend any time making an account, they can just post and forget about it. I'd rather see five barely-used accounts than ten abandoned topics which have to be left intact, just in case the original poster should ever bother to check up on it (and he/she would have to check back, since email notifications doesn't work for guests). If someone is having trouble remembering a registered account, why would they remember a stray post?
  • [/list:u]I needn't go on, need I?

fuchisasquatch

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
    • http://aa.1asphost.com/sasquatch/
« Reply #13 on: 2004-08-15 12:50:36 »
i take blame to one of these inactive accounts

the account "sasquatch" i made but the vertification never reached my inbox as it was 100% full..i had about 7 virus emails in french..some zip file attachments (about 250kb each). Hotmails limit is 2mb..so yeah

i tried to sign up again but it said it was already used..so i had to make a new acount..which said no cuz the email was already in use..so i made it go to my yahoo account..

wish you had some sought of re-re-activation thing...hehe

sorry bout that though..

qwerty

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2004-08-15 13:21:15 »
At least you came back to the site!

fuchisasquatch

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2004-08-15 13:39:39 »
hehe yeah

after that i was still looking at heaps of stuff in this forums for a couple of days..just as an unregistered user..then i finally was bothered to re-register...

Relf

• Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2004-08-16 03:38:45 »
Quote from: fuchisasquatch
hehe yeah

after that i was still looking at heaps of stuff in this forums for a couple of days..just as an unregistered user..then i finally was bothered to re-register...

Heh, Bunnie-maru was here for a whole 2 years without being botherd to registar
Happy? 8)

Bunnie-Maru

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2004-08-16 04:14:00 »
Yes, I was around here for about 2 to 3 years actually...more around three.

:wink:

Note:Yes, I much happy.

8)

fuchisasquatch

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2004-08-16 08:56:25 »
wooah thats a bloody long time..