Author Topic: New FF7 Tool: Scene Reader  (Read 9936 times)

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
New FF7 Tool: Scene Reader
« on: 2004-08-14 17:33:25 »
Hello Again!
I wrote another program today, and called it Scene Reader. It can extract every single file from scene.bin archive for you to edit (eg. change some names or enemy stats), and finally it has a function to build new archive from extracted (and modified) files. Here's a proof that program works:

Note that the name I changed was "Guard Scorpion", you can find it in 82th file in archive. Again, I am not 100% sure that it's bugless so please test it and write feedback.
My next step is to write editor so you can change single enemy stats and batch processing (eg. up every stat by 30%). Beware :wicked:.

Link: Scene Reader

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-15 03:05:23 »
Hahaha, that's good shit!  Can you change in-battle text, too?  At the very least, i'd like to see a path to fix that damed "Attack while it's tail's up!' typo.  (I was quite POed the first.. and second.. time i played and mindlessly followed cloud's instructions)

Or perhaps it's SUPPOSED to be that way, to prove that cloud doesn't know shit cuz he wasnt really in SOLDIER? hmmm...

blackeyed_cn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-15 19:10:56 »
 :P

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-16 06:02:07 »
Uhm...

what do i open/edit the individual files with?  a hex editor?  (doesnt like hex editors ;_;)

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-16 06:07:21 »
Yes, now everything you can do is open file with hex editor. I'm working on a program to edit some things in file, but it will take some time :).
You can use Scene.bin format description by Fremen.

Link: Scene.bin format description

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-16 06:15:51 »
a more complete version of that is in gears.....

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-16 06:43:13 »
uuhhmm....

yeah, that's not working for me... I grabbed a hex editor thingie, but i can't see anywhere in "scene82" where it says anything about gaurd scorpion... hell, it's all in jibberish ;_;

Then i remembered the whole g-zip thing, but i couldnt figure out how to decompress the files... I know how to run a program with a command line, but i didn't know how to tell it to decompress something in a different directory (hell, a different DRIVE).. guh..

i'll just wait for something with a legible interface that does the work for me.  hacking is hard -_-

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-16 06:45:41 »
You don't need gzip. My program does it all for you.
Still, text is encoded in 'FF7 way', you'll need Thingy table to easy edit the text. Name 'guard scorpion' can be found at 0x350 offset.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-16 19:02:45 »
Yeah, ok, i get what "Scene reader" does now.. but the name is kind of a misnomer.  It doesnt read anything: it just extracts the fles.  From there, the end user needs to read/edit the files using another program...

Such as "Thingy", you said?  I tried doing a google search, but "thingy" is a rather...  overused term online.  So i couldn't find hide nor hair of it... link?

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-16 20:00:57 »
Some hex editors have function to use thingy tables. Like... translhextion or thingy32. These programs using thingy tables simply convert some bytes to another, making editing file which is encoded easier.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-17 19:25:34 »
oh btw guys
the individual scene files are in FF7ascii, well the text that is
ficedula has a ff7text prog (which i asked him to kindly make), which will convert to and from ff7ascii, so u can see the text u need to edit.

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2004-08-17 19:28:03 »
This format is easy, you just need to shift every byte by 20h, eg. if you have letter 'a' which is 61h, you must write 41h. The same goes for special characters too.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2004-08-18 03:12:19 »
Quote from: M4v3R
This format is easy, you just need to shift every byte by 20h, eg. if you have letter 'a' which is 61h, you must write 41h. The same goes for special characters too.

Well it also includes formating information such as color for the data. Also some precaned 'name' characters such as Cloud Tifa Barret etc.  It's SQUARE encoded I guess one can't expect it to be easy! :)

Cyb/Stephen