Author Topic: A challenge - hack FFVII International!  (Read 8725 times)

D@rio

• View Profile
    • http://www.myfantasy.prv.pl
A challenge - hack FFVII International!
« on: 2005-07-30 14:53:39 »
Okay, not _really_ a challenge, but more like a question for help ;).

I was interested in extracting the info about weapons, summons, etc., from Final Fantasy VII International. Well, I don't know almost anything about programming (apart from PHP, but that's a different topic), and seeing as this is mainly a graphics question, I'll probably never succeed here.

So basicly, here's the thing - FFVII: Int is a re-release of the original FFVII in Japan, with a special 4th disc, on which you can find various info regarding items, weapons, accessories, etc. The interesting thing is that every item has a bigger image of itself. I think most of us would be mainly interested in that.

Here's a data file with the accessories (2MB). If anyone wants to have a shot - go ahead. NPK is a format used by Nebula for packing files, so maybe this is it, but I couldn't get to a program which would unpack them - only got source code of the SDK. If anyone wants to have a look at it, just Google for "SDK NPK Nebula".

I think that's it. Good luck to anyone who'll take a shot at this :)

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-30 15:38:46 »
I've downloaded it and I'll take a look at it.

If I'm able to decode the files right, I'll add another plugin to my Archive Decompressor Kaddy...hehe

- Alhexx

- edit -
Oh hell, that file looks very ugly in my hex editor...

- edit 2 -
I've taken a look at the nebula2 SDK, and I can tell you that the file isn't a nebula file, at least nebula's packer tool cannot decompress the file... :(

D@rio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-30 16:44:00 »
Quote from: Alhexx
Oh hell, that file looks very ugly in my hex editor...

Doesn't it? Some strings repeat themselves, so my guess is that some basic encoding is used there. Still, I'm no expert, so I'll better just stay quiet.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-31 09:38:34 »
Doesn't look good. Its either encoded/compressed, or there is not all the info in this one file.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-31 12:59:13 »
I've gotten the basic file structure nailed down, as well as most of the compression scheme used. The details still elude me though, and I don't know what kind of data this is supposed to be in its "raw" form.

D@rio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-31 14:46:11 »
Quote from: El Qhimm
The details still elude me though, and I don't know what kind of data this is supposed to be in its "raw" form.

Seeing as in this file only the accessories data is stored, there are 32 accessories. The data stored in every file should be:

* Image, partly transparent
* Name
* Price
* Description
* Ways to obtain

I think it would be easier to work on, for example, weapons, but it's a 8MB file. If anyone wants it, it's here. In the weapons file, the used data is:

* Image, partly transparent
* Name
* Character
* All the stats, as in: strength, Materia slots, Materia gworth, etc.
* Price
* Description
* Ways to obtain

Don't forget that everything's in Japanese. You could search for such words like "SOLDIER", "DEATH", "BIRTH", etc., though. The price of the Sneak Glove should also be "unique", in a way.

And now, some images, for your viewing pleasure:
* Cloud's Buster Sword
* Cloud's Organics

Accessories
* Cursed Ring
* Reflect Ring
* Sneak Glove
* Talisman

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-31 15:55:21 »
Hmm that weapons file seems a bit corrupt, at least in the beginning... unless FF7 data files are known to contain text about downloads, epsxe and bitcomet :P

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-07-31 17:07:10 »
Is this the playstation or PC variant of FF7?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #8 on: 2005-07-31 17:16:11 »
Seeing as it's FF7 International, that would be PSX. ;)

D@rio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-07-31 23:13:35 »
Quote from: El Qhimm
Hmm that weapons file seems a bit corrupt, at least in the beginning... unless FF7 data files are known to contain text about downloads, epsxe and bitcomet :P

...That's strange. Uploading the file ATM again, it should work correctly this time (still 6 minutes left).

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #10 on: 2005-08-01 06:36:39 »
That seems to have fixed it. :) The entire file fits the pattern I've seen in the accessory file, now.

Ido_Alpha_Omega

« Reply #11 on: 2005-08-02 00:54:48 »
I've been using ePSXe to run the 4th disc, and I've had moderate success with just taking screenshots with ALT + Print Screen for many of the items, armor, and weapons (like on THIS PAGE). It's not a feasible solution for anybody who doesn't have a lot of time on their hands, but it works for me.

It would be nice, however, to be able rip the images straight off of the CD or Binary file.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #12 on: 2005-08-02 06:17:31 »
Well, I have the format mostly decoded, but I'm sad to report that there are no transparent images or anything. Each weapon/item/whatever is just stored as a full-screen image, so extracting them would be pretty much identical to just taking a screenshot.

Oh, and either I don't have the proper start of the accessory files, or the NPK files are inter-dependant and rely on being decoded in the proper order. The weapon file is a starting file (no prior dependencies), so I've been able to rip images from there into TIM files. I'll release a small program for it along with descriptions shortly.

D@rio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005-08-02 15:02:33 »
The accessory file should be okay... At least it looks okay on the server.

And looks like snailrush beat you to it, but his utility has some problems on a few specific files. I extracted the characters, monsters, accessories, and a few other data with it. Still can't get the misc. items from towns, and other strange NPC files.