Author Topic: Installing windows xp sata hardisk  (Read 12673 times)

Zophixan

• View Profile
Installing windows xp sata hardisk
« on: 2008-06-05 21:23:54 »
Hey guys, due to warranty purposes, i have to install windows xp on my laptop. Its proving to be difficult due to the lack of sata drivers. I don't seem to be able to find them for my laptop! I have a HP dv8263ea. Can anyone help? Point me in the right direction? My slip straemed disc didn't work :'(

Fenrir

• View Profile
Re: Installing windows xp sata hardisk
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-05 21:51:02 »
The Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M) driver seems to be the one your looking for.  You want to put that on a CD or floppy and when you start installing xp the blue screen with white text appears on the bottom "Press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID driver...." press F6 and put in your disk with the sata driver. I found plenty of sites with the driver download by just googling "Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M)"

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-05 22:24:01 »
People with notebooks usually don't have a USB Floppy to install SATA drivers from, so you will either have to use nLite to merge them with install CD, or search in BIOS Setup for an entry like "SATA Native mode" and set it to disabled - that will allow legacy software to detect your HDD as a normal PATA drive.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-05 23:34:42 »
People with notebooks usually don't have a USB Floppy to install SATA drivers from, so you will either have to use nLite to merge them with install CD, or search in BIOS Setup for an entry like "SATA Native mode" and set it to disabled - that will allow legacy software to detect your HDD as a normal PATA drive.
Slipstreaming ftw! \o/

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-06 08:51:40 »
I have a HP 6720s which had Vista basic on it, had to set the HDD to native to install XP (infact had to leave it native or I can't boot XP :))

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-06 09:04:17 »
You have to install the SATA driver before turning the native support off.

Edit: Lol. Turning the native support on ofc :) Still, slipstreaming is easier once you get the correct drivers.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-06 12:06:04 by dziugo »

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-06-08 11:04:35 »
I have a HP 6720s which had Vista basic on it, had to set the HDD to native to install XP (infact had to leave it native or I can't boot XP :))
Nice laptops man! I have a NC8000 and a NC6320 from work which I mostly use. It also had Vista on it but hell, me wants xp :)

You have to install the SATA driver before turning the native support off.

Edit: Lol. Turning the native support on ofc :) Still, slipstreaming is easier once you get the correct drivers.
Yeah, though it was a pain to do the first time XD

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-07-10 02:12:04 »
I know this is a month late, but I've been away and thought this may help.

Here is the most up to date SATA XP drivers for your notebook model I found.

Click me!

Any other XP drivers you may need for your notebook model can be found here.

Now Click me!

Some older models required a BIOS update for better SATA performance.  The most recent BIOS is located on the same page as the second link.

Zophixan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-07-27 13:23:30 »
Hiya guys! Sorry for not thanking you guys :-p, I got my laptop fixed with your guys advice - only just got it back from the manufacturer. Thanks!

Fenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-08-02 05:25:29 »
Nice, good to hear. Hope it didn't cost you too much.