Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 716630 times)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: [Release v1.4.5] WallMarket KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #975 on: 2012-06-05 16:04:06 »
Whenever the kernel is saved, its size is slightly changed regardless of whether or not there were any changes (According to CDMage; my hex editor says otherwise). When the kernel is larger than "default", this makes it impossible to insert back into the game disk without truncating it and (Probably) causing all sorts of problems. The size of the kernel objectively increases the more changes I make, but I don't know why adding slots to equipment would require more space. Aren't the bytes for these things already reserved?

The KERNEL is compressed, so simply changing bytes or even bits can create size changes. But I'm pretty sure the KERNEL is decompressed before it's copied into a buffer for the game to use, so you may be able to get away with simply moving the KERNEL's location on the disc and updating the YAMADA.BIN filetable to reflect its new position, as changing flags will increase filesize but not decompressed size. My disc extension patch should be able to help, but I don't know exactly what size increases you can get away with before you encounter complications.

Kemlin

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: 2012-06-05 17:07:28 »
I know the kernel is compressed, but the connection didn't occur to me until I retired for the evening. Yeah, I'm derpin' it.

I don't know how to move files around on the ISO, nor do I know how to properly edit Yamada to reflect my changes (Pointers, right?).

On an unrelated note, Libre is quite dandy. What I >love< is that most of the utility programs work for both the PSX and PC versions.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #977 on: 2012-06-05 23:17:59 »
My disc extension patch moves the KERNEL and SCENE to the end of the disc, and alters the YAMADA accordingly. No idea how big you can make the KERNEL before something goes wrong, though.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #978 on: 2012-07-16 11:15:17 »
it doesnt appear to save for me.  i change the buster blade to have 8 linked materia slots and weapon damage to be the same as vincents death penalty. then i start the game and go to equip the buster blade and it only has 2 linked materia

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #979 on: 2012-07-16 13:11:44 »
it doesnt appear to save for me.  i change the buster blade to have 8 linked materia slots and weapon damage to be the same as vincents death penalty. then i start the game and go to equip the buster blade and it only has 2 linked materia

Make sure it's actually saving in the directory you're playing the game from and not the VirtualStore or anything like that.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #980 on: 2012-07-16 14:06:49 »
ok so with a little help from the windows search function i found out i had several kernels. WHY?? because when i used bootleg i picked mode switching all mods for difficulty.  I was trying to edit my kernel in ff7\data\kernel\ instead of ff7\bootmodes\meXXXX\data\kernel\

theres a different kernel and folder for all game modes. meXXXX uses 2 letter abbreviations for them. little key i made up
ae- aeris revival
hc- hardcore
id- items difficult
ie- items easy
in- items normal
lw-lost wing
me- prefix on all
rm-remastered
sp- new spell names
sr- scene redux

my problem is solved i hope this helps others

Datapack

• Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: 2012-09-05 10:25:55 »
NVM found it.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-05 10:53:06 by Datapack »

RilleL

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: 2012-09-14 11:13:10 »
Maybe it's too much to ask, but can anyone help me edit my kernel/kernel2 to allow the ultimate weapons for all characters to have normal materia growth (ex Premium heart (materia growth: none -> normal))?
Wallmarket crashes for me, maybe my PC lacks visual basics or something, but I'm hesitant to install something additional just to edit this simple thing.
I have mods so I uploaded my kernel.bin files in case they're already modified from default.

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/Pp3cLeRnm6X8%2FlVyifYREg

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #983 on: 2012-09-14 12:43:05 »
Maybe it's too much to ask, but can anyone help me edit my kernel/kernel2 to allow the ultimate weapons for all characters to have normal materia growth (ex Premium heart (materia growth: none -> normal))?
Wallmarket crashes for me, maybe my PC lacks visual basics or something, but I'm hesitant to install something additional just to edit this simple thing.
I have mods so I uploaded my kernel.bin files in case they're already modified from default.

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/Pp3cLeRnm6X8%2FlVyifYREg

From the first post:
Requires:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or higher
Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 or higher (for WallMarket)

If you won't install what's needed then you won't be able to use it. It's common computer sense. It's a library package, not a virus.

RilleL

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: 2012-09-14 15:43:09 »
From the first post:If you won't install what's needed then you won't be able to use it. It's common computer sense. It's a library package, not a virus.
I'm sorry to have offended you by requesting something that would've taken 5 min. I also said that I'm not thrilled to install a library package for a simple, one-time thing.
Thanks for nothing.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #985 on: 2012-09-14 16:06:31 »
since you asked so nicely, here
http://www.mediafire.com/?m33cn9p89ttbd9i

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #986 on: 2012-09-14 18:14:26 »
I'm sorry to have offended you by requesting something that would've taken 5 min. I also said that I'm not thrilled to install a library package for a simple, one-time thing.
Thanks for nothing.

Two things are preventing me from saying what I want to say: no one is irreplaceable, and I happen to like the enthusiasm here. Rather than be warned or whatnot for whatever hot-headed thing I was GOING to say (I was SO close to clicking "Post") let me just attempt to calmly say that this is not the place for requests like that. This is a support thread for WallMarket. You complained it wasn't working and I suggested how to solve that. I didn't provide you with "nothing".

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: 2012-09-14 18:18:38 »
Thanks for nothing.

The author took hours and hours making his tool.  And you can't spare 5 minutes to use it?   :-o

RilleL

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: 2012-09-14 19:47:17 »
Two things are preventing me from saying what I want to say: no one is irreplaceable, and I happen to like the enthusiasm here. Rather than be warned or whatnot for whatever hot-headed thing I was GOING to say (I was SO close to clicking "Post") let me just attempt to calmly say that this is not the place for requests like that. This is a support thread for WallMarket. You complained it wasn't working and I suggested how to solve that. I didn't provide you with "nothing".
Alright, noted.

since you asked so nicely, here
http://www.mediafire.com/?m33cn9p89ttbd9i
Thanks a lot.

Edit: hey, did you just troll me? :P

« Last Edit: 2012-09-14 19:58:35 by RilleL »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #989 on: 2012-09-14 20:07:08 »
Maybe.
You got ultimate weapons that have growth
No idea about the rest. I gave you the current kernel for Nightmare  :mrgreen:

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #990 on: 2012-09-14 20:22:05 »
I'm sorry to have offended you by requesting something that would've taken 5 min.

People here spend massive amounts of time creating tools for other's enjoyment with no recompense whatsoever. And you think that five minutes of their time is less valuable than the oh-so-terrible inconvenience of you following two lines of instructions? Do you have any idea how horrifically self-entitled that sounds?

I also said that I'm not thrilled to install a library package for a simple, one-time thing.

And? You were told you needed the package to use WallMarket. You decided you didn't want to install the package for... whatever reason. Therefore, you don't get to use WallMarket.

I fail to see the problem here.

Thanks for nothing.

Lose the attitude. Now.

RilleL

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: 2012-09-14 20:50:37 »
And you think that five minutes of their time is less valuable than the oh-so-terrible inconvenience of you following two lines of instructions? Do you have any idea how horrifically self-entitled that sounds?
I think that asking for 5 min of anyone's time (including my own) doesn't sound entitled at all. I thought this was a place to help other people, not a competition to see whose time is worth the most. I also did not ask for the author to personally service me, but the assistance of the community.
People got very aggressive fast even though I was perfectly civil the whole time. So far as having a moderator come to fan the flame even though I'd already dropped the whole thing.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #992 on: 2012-09-14 21:03:07 »
People here get very upset if you ask for someone else to do something you could easily do yourself but won't due to reasons that areessentially stubbornness

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #993 on: 2012-09-14 21:15:57 »
People got very aggressive fast even though I was perfectly civil the whole time.

"Thanks for nothing" is not civil.

I'm finding it pretty tricky to interpret your posts on good faith. Continuing to argue will not make it easier.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-14 21:20:01 by Bosola »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #994 on: 2012-09-14 22:29:06 »
Oh god I can't resist

"Bosola is on fire"

YES, YES I WENT THERE
AAH

JokerTheRoyale

« Reply #995 on: 2012-09-23 21:47:34 »
I was just wondering how I would keep the kernil.bin the same size as the original? I've been messing around with the latest WM and everytime I edit something, primarily making the Masamune usable by Cloud, the size increases. Was wondering if there was a program to reduce the size to the normal amount.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #996 on: 2012-09-24 01:04:27 »
...everytime I edit something ... the size increases.

I've never heard of this happening. Usually it becomes a few bytes smaller and only goes larger than the 22K it's allotted if a lot of changes are made. How large does it become?

Dormeur

« Reply #997 on: 2012-09-29 18:49:11 »
Hello everyone, I've got a problem with WallMarket 1.4.5

Let me explain:

When I try to open a kernel file (version 2012) in order to translate the objects names, an error message appears and the software crashes

I pount out that everything works with the old kernels version, that is to say the 1998 one

Is the software compatible with the new kernels version ?

Thanks for your help, cordially

:-*

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #998 on: 2012-09-29 19:22:04 »
I was told that they are the same file byte-for-byte. I don't have a copy of the one on Steam so I can't say for sure. Could you email it to me so I can check?

Dormeur

« Reply #999 on: 2012-09-29 19:30:37 »
Ok, I send it to you ! ;D