Author Topic: [FF7] Tutorial for Bootleg - Tifa's Bootleg  (Read 2436247 times)

Kompass63

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Tifa's Bootleg
« Reply #875 on: 2013-06-07 13:41:52 »
Why are we locked into using bootlegs virtual drive?
locked? Absolutely not!
You can always change the drive letter (FF7 BootLoader -> Configure, do not forget to uncheck automount and do not forget write CFG) if there is media inside with correct name.
However, if you have checked the box next to Auto Mount is entered in the registry of the drive letter of the virtual disk.
For me it is (mostly) not logged in the system quickly enough, which is why I get an error message.
That's why I do not use the automount feature.

is this been the case in all of the bootleg releases previous?
I believe this was only a problem when the re release came out and people had no more original CD's.

I'm guessing if PB didn't make bootleg compatible with XP it isn't something he can easily fix in the future? And it's not something possible to fix by changing your converter, right Kompass?
Actually, I had assumed (apart from the virtual hard disk) that bootleg is already XP Compatible.
The error message "Invalid switch - I" taught me better
Some commands react differently between XP and Win7.
Also, the command line in 2146 (START /w /MIN "Bootleg - Unzipping" "7za.exe" x -y -o"%BootlegTemp%%Sprinkles%" "%Sprinkles%"), danceswithchihuahuas is stuck at the seems, not to function as intended under XP.
I wonder anyway why PB in many places starts a new DOS process, I would have written there simply
7za.exe x -y -o"%BootlegTemp%%Sprinkles%" "%Sprinkles%" >NUL

One would have to try out each command in XP, if it works as well as under Win7.
That's a lot of work (the Bootleg.bat has 10572 lines) for a few people who still use XP ... but doable.

The advantage to the Vdrive is speed, presumably? Besides convenience, obviously.
Convenience yes, speed no...
For a full installation of the game, only the video sequences are loaded from the CD.
Since these are now available through bootleg on the hard disk, the CD is actually no longer needed.
But "FF7.exe" asks the CD anyway.
You can even have a floppy disk in drive A: use the name FF7DISC1 ... (speed ???)

This issue is seperate from write protection, though... I do not remember having problems with file write protection being on when modding ff7 under xp 32 bit.
Yes, I've also rarely had problems with the write protection.
In the German version, almost all files are installed with write protection enabled.
In theory, this prevents that the files are deleted or tampered with.
In XP seems to not or not always function properly.
But it is always safer to remove the write protection if you want to change the files.

But again I have never used the re-release. I bought a used but originally owned and fairly mint copy of ff7 PC on ebay in like 2002 for 80$ US iirc and then couldn't get it to work very well until 2010 or whatever it was when I found this forum. This game has given the tinkerer in me a lot of hamster-wheel time.
2002 was about the year in which I also had massive problems with FF7 >:(
While running the game, but it crashed again and again from different video sequences.
I definitely needed a year to encircle the error and find a solution.

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: 2013-06-10 15:55:51 »
Okay, this looks to be the final issue before being able to actually play, when I press Play FF7, the mounting works but now the config crashes, doesn't load at all

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: 2013-06-10 16:03:20 »
Okay, this looks to be the final issue before being able to actually play, when I press Play FF7, the mounting works but now the config crashes, doesn't load at all

Nvidia? If so, then look at this:
Driver 306. works. But I don't know from which one exactly the confic dosen't work anymore...
It's nessesary to run the confic with the integrated graphic card. You could add FF7confic.exe in your Nvidia driver 3D-setting and choose to run the programm with the integrated graphic card.

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: 2013-06-10 16:23:37 »
Nvidia control panel doesn't give me an option to run programs with the integrated card

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: 2013-06-10 16:31:48 »
Do you have an integrated card?

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: 2013-06-10 16:39:19 »
I do, I recently updated the driver for it

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: 2013-06-10 16:52:53 »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: 2013-06-10 16:57:22 »
For whatever reason, integrated graphics cards dont seem to play well with aalis driver. Or something. Which one do you have? So is that what you use to game with? Or do you have a dedicated card as well?
« Last Edit: 2013-06-10 16:59:30 by Template »

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: 2013-06-10 16:58:57 »
My integrated is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, my Nvidia is a GTX 670

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: 2013-06-10 17:05:45 »
Then you should be able to switch the graphic card in the Nvidia control panel. (It's the 2. point)
In the 3D setting you should have an option for it. Try to switch it temporary in the global setting. You only need to run the confic once (and after changes to the sound card).

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: 2013-06-10 17:17:26 »
There is no option to switch to an integrated graphics card, I'd be more than happy to go on skype with someone and share screens or stream it on twitch TV

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #886 on: 2013-06-10 18:29:38 »
There is no option to switch to an integrated graphics card, I'd be more than happy to go on skype with someone and share screens or stream it on twitch TV

Integrated Graphics will not work. Your 670 is more than enough. The Nvidia 320.xx drivers have LOTS of issues, and it's recommended to stick with version 314.xx or earlier.

FF7Config crashes is addressed in the FAQ section after the Tutorial: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.msg183582#msg183582

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: 2013-06-10 20:41:23 »
I installed the missing .dll and it still doesn't work....I'd really appreciate it if someone could go on Skype or maybe something related to remote access

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: 2013-06-10 21:05:21 »
okay, i had to install Nvidia Driver version 310 for it to work, but now, after the New Game or Continue screen, it just goes black

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: 2013-06-10 21:07:00 »
You should revert back to the older set of drivers for your card, and do the profile for the game as suggested above in order to force this Frankenstein's monster of a modded 15 year old game to work, you might lose a few frames in quake but i dunno what else to tell u. This has zero to do with bootleg and everything to do with your computer's hardware. You might just as well be posting in the Nvidia forum.

Edit: meh, sorry clicked through the new post warning. So lemme look and see if I have any helpful suggestions from here.

first thing I would try is make sure you set profile for the correct executable... idk I use the bootleg bat file that it makes a desktop shortcut to not sure how the profile works exactly.

failing that, if you are sure that your nvidia card is actually being used to run the game, start turning off things in the bootloader config, first the safe mode of the movie player, then shaders. but all the mods should run np on your card, I think the profile isn't set but not positive by any means.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-10 21:22:41 by Template »

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: 2013-06-10 21:18:59 »
I'm sorry if I'm being a pain, I just really want to get this to work, its my favorite game

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: 2013-06-10 21:24:03 »
nah nah i don't blame you. You are going about things logically. Keep info coming tho, does the start menu look weird? or nice and crisp and clear. give us your APP.log as well

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: 2013-06-11 04:27:27 »

missing this ryaa file....

This error comes up in notepad:

Error in blackbgb: converting to field failed, Attempted to read 323135 bytes from 36fe

Error in elminn_1: Incorrect number of entries: 16/17
« Last Edit: 2013-06-11 16:13:03 by Exceed »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: 2013-06-11 18:03:39 »
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AniNoDVsrYhVdG0zZERUT0tsOF91eHE2WHo4ZWRseWc&gid=3

The ryaa file is Cait Sith's battle skeleton. I don't know how it happened, but it didn't install correctly.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: 2013-06-11 18:29:14 »
The incorrect # of entries message is supposed to happen if you installed the menu overhaul.

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: 2013-06-12 16:50:56 »
It just crashed while Cloud was telling the Nibelheim story and Sephiroth goes crazy in the Mako Reactor and the capsule breaks letting the monster fall out. After that cutscene it black screens and stops working. Other than this its been working smoothly

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: 2013-06-12 19:13:54 »
What was the app log after the crash?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: 2013-06-12 22:04:47 »
Template responded to this problem before: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12008.msg196323#msg196323

We still need you to post your APP.log right after the crash occurs.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: 2013-06-13 02:51:51 »
Pretty sure that's the same crash I was getting... But I haven't been able to duplicate it dince that first bootleg 40 install. unchecking remove glitches from facepalmer did get rid of it the first time, but I've rebuilt ff with those glitches removed since and gone through that flashback with no crashes. May be totally unrelated but there's something about ff7music and the piano in Tifa's room that causes problems after that scene. I've since been using the OSTRemastered soundtrack now a while and doesn't seem so crash happy.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: 2013-06-13 03:02:19 »
But OSTRemastered runs through FF7Music as well. It's what I always use. What music set were you using during the crash?