Author Topic: PC Games similiar to Final Fantasy?  (Read 16541 times)

Ossott

• View Profile
PC Games similiar to Final Fantasy?
« on: 2008-01-04 20:00:15 »
I've always looked for PC games which are similar to final fantasy. However, everytime I search something like IGN for RPG games, I always end up with a slew of MMO's, and a few completely  different RPG's like Fable or Morrowwind.

I'm not asking for a huge beautiful storyline with the best cinematic FMVs around, just something with similar game play style. However, on the flip side, i'd rather it not look like FF3 either.

Anyone know of anything at all that is comparable to the final fantasy lines? The only console system I own is the Wii (:() so there's no RPG lovin' there. And i'm flat tired of all the major MMO's out there. I'm in a weird transition zone waiting on warhammer or AoC to come out, and would love a time sink.

Olie

• View Profile
Re: PC Games similiar to Final Fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-05 06:54:15 »
Xenogears the orignal on PSX (PSone) i absolutely loved it.

also the MMOPRG called ArchLord pretty good never rly tried it but

if you are looking for good RPG games look on Playstation 1 that console had the best RPGs ever. (ff sereis :P:mrgreen:

PM me if u want a warez site or emulation site where ya can get ROMs from :P

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-05 08:49:35 »
He just clearly asked for PC games, and no MMORPGs...

And on that note, seeing how typical "Final Fantasy style" RPGs are mostly made in Japan, and they don't develop a lot for PC, there's really not much along those lines going for it. There are RPG Maker games, and actually a few are really well made, but most are crap, and if you're into emulation and have played lots of games, then you're going to be seeing a lot of familiar sprites and hearing familiar music.
I know a few freeware RPGs that have the side-view battles, but they look like really poor drawings that move around. The original Abaddon I thought was alright for freeware, but again you're looking at older sprites. There's honestly not a lot in that particular style I'm afraid.  :| I'd kinda like to know if there are any similar games as well, because if there is I haven't heard of it.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-05 10:16:24 »
PM me if u want a warez site or emulation site where ya can get ROMs from :P

And i'm pretty sure if that happens, you'll get your ass banned.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-05 20:30:28 »
Maybe Anachronox? It certainly had turn-based battles. I've heard it was pretty good.

Ossott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-05 23:43:51 »
Thanks for the info fellas.

Think i'm going to take the first guys advice (not the pirating bit) and play some old psx1 games. All i ever really played were the FFs, and I remember them like the back of my hand.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-07 11:23:11 »
I will ask my brother, he liked to play RPG's. Right now I remember only one, it was called "Septerra Core".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septerra_Core

--edit--
my brother also recommends 'Star Ocean' though it was probably not released on PC, but you can still play it in PSX emulators on PC.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-08 12:11:05 by mirex »

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-01-07 12:45:21 »
I know you search for PC games but if you dont mind I'll post some PS games

A game one must have played would be "Vagrant Story".
On the PSX I would badly recommend Grandia 2, its fantastic.
Or you could try the "Shadow Hearts" series, the games are great.
You could go on the old Final Fantasys or on the Final Fantasy Saga(Legends 1-3 and Final Fantasy Adventure) or even Final Fantasy Mysic Quest.
Maybe you should also try Breath of Fire.

All the games are RPGs and all are worth playing.(except for Mystic Quest^^lol and megalol :evil:)

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-01-07 16:16:57 »
Hey, now that you mention it, Grandia 2 has also a PC version (which was the one I played, by the way). It's a good game, but by no means great.

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-01-08 13:09:16 »
well actually I played it when I was 13 and at that time, it was great to me. Nowadays I find it a BIT too childish but its still very worth playing.

Does there really exist a pc version? good to know that they decided to bring at least some RPGs for the pc.

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-01-08 18:37:31 »
well actually I played it when I was 13 and at that time, it was great to me. Nowadays I find it a BIT too childish but its still very worth playing.

Does there really exist a pc version? good to know that they decided to bring at least some RPGs for the pc.

Yes, There is.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-01-10 06:14:51 »

Yes, There is.
I found it a terrible game really compared to the first one (story wise), the battle system was fine but if you have a PS2 and want a Grandia game either go the first game on PS1 or Grandia 3 on PS2 (both really decent stories)

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-01-10 20:23:47 »
everytime I search something like IGN for RPG games, I always end up with a slew of MMO's, and a few completely  different RPG's like Fable or Morrowwind.
my feelings exactly. looks like there is a depressing shortage of games like star ocean, vagrant story, final fantasy on pc. only mmorpgs and other online crap that doesn't interest a person not really into gaming, that can spend only a couple of hours per weekend gaming :/

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-01-10 22:52:06 »
To be fair, Morrowind and Oblivion loaded to the teeth with mods are two seriously addicting RPGs.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-01-11 11:54:23 »
but they are different rpg games to ff series. kinda slower paced and more traditional.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008-01-11 13:40:35 »
Obviously, just saying not all western RPGs are bad. And with the right mods, there's nothing slow about either of those two.
But I agree, I find the shortage depressing as well. With very few exceptions, I've always found the PC port of any given game to be the superior. Sadly, the Final Fantasy games seemed to fall into those exceptions until I found this site a long time ago. Square-Enix needs to hire a good team from the US to port their games to PC, even if it's only for the English speaking market, as I think they'd sell enough to justify doing so (just look at how many of us use the internet, so I'm sure most of us have decent computers). Add in some extras, do a good quality port, and let them take their sweet ass time. This will allow more people to have the hardware necessary to run the game, and plenty of fans will pick up the game even a year or more after it's console release.
On the other hand, one thing I've found is, if something makes too much sense, it never sees the light of day.

Back to reality, I'd really like to see a PC port of Skies of Arcadia. That game was full of win.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-11 13:42:45 by Tsetra »

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008-01-12 10:41:04 »
Back to reality, I'd really like to see a PC port of Skies of Arcadia. That game was full of win.
Yeah that game rawks! I have the gamecube port "Skies of Arcadia: Legend".

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008-01-13 06:31:58 »
I know Ossott said no MMOs, but I though this one was worth mentioning.  Granado Espada is a fantasy MMO with a very similar style to the Final Fantasy series.  The player controls a party of three characters, making combat very similar to FF games.  Personally I think the clothes are a little funky, but seem pretty close to the styles of recent Final Fantasy games.  I know if all I saw in a preview was this , I would think it was the next FF.  The game has switched to a free-to-play model in all markets now.  I know it's still an MMO, but you could always ignore the folks online.  :-D

Olie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008-01-15 11:49:40 »
banned on this shit? as if. i can create a new account. not that hard :P

Ossott

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008-01-15 14:08:10 »
Ya, actually when I was out of town for the holidays, shortly before posting this, I was watching my brother play Granado Espada. The characters seemed to be all whacky. Wouldn't follow. I donno, i'm a hard core raider in MMOs, so i'm picky.

I just started playing The Witcher, it's nothing like final fantasy of course, but it's sooo sexy.

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008-01-15 18:56:53 »
banned on this sh*t? as if. i can create a new account. not that hard :P

Yep.  You can also be IP banned.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008-01-15 19:52:16 »
unfortunately some people are cursed with variable ip and a bad mouth at the same time :/

Jari

« Reply #22 on: 2008-01-15 19:59:54 »
They do get their variable IP from a limited pool, though.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008-01-16 06:24:39 »
innocent bystanders might get harmed by banning that "pool", however.

this really sucks :/

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008-01-16 10:01:51 »
innocent bystanders might get harmed by banning that "pool", however.

this really sucks :/

A case of the few ruining it for the many, as usual, sadly.