Author Topic: Installing The Reunion silences Audio During Gameplay on Specific Speaker  (Read 2474 times)

Kyrith

• View Profile
Hey, folks, I'm new to this forum but searched around briefly and was unable to find this talked about anywhere else, so here goes:

I'm modding FF7 for the first time, and it's been a whole process, but I had gotten the few essentials I was looking for (The Reunion and Remako field upscales) up and running together on my laptop, as well as my Switch Pro Controller functioning properly with the game.

My intention was always to hook this all up to my TV and sound system and play console style, but when I did, something very strange happened: *some of* the audio refused to play.

Specifically, cutscene audio plays just fine (both the opening logos and the opening FMV played with no trouble), but gameplay audio is 100% silent. No music, no sound effects (all I tried doing was running around the Mako reactor), and no menu blips.

When I unplug the HDMI and revert to the laptop, all the audio is present, and if I disable The Reunion and play the game through the TV speakers, the audio works just fine as well.

I'm really truly at a loss as to what could be the problem. I tried disabling a couple of the sound things in the options.ini but that didn't make a difference either.

I don't know if anyone else has had this bug, but any help would be incredibly, greatly appreciated.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
need app.log, reunion.log, audio.log - as the first post requests.  See the first post of reunion thread.

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
Hey, folks, I'm new to this forum but searched around briefly and was unable to find this talked about anywhere else, so here goes:

I'm modding FF7 for the first time, and it's been a whole process, but I had gotten the few essentials I was looking for (The Reunion and Remako field upscales) up and running together on my laptop, as well as my Switch Pro Controller functioning properly with the game.

My intention was always to hook this all up to my TV and sound system and play console style, but when I did, something very strange happened: *some of* the audio refused to play.

Specifically, cutscene audio plays just fine (both the opening logos and the opening FMV played with no trouble), but gameplay audio is 100% silent. No music, no sound effects (all I tried doing was running around the Mako reactor), and no menu blips.

When I unplug the HDMI and revert to the laptop, all the audio is present, and if I disable The Reunion and play the game through the TV speakers, the audio works just fine as well.

I'm really truly at a loss as to what could be the problem. I tried disabling a couple of the sound things in the options.ini but that didn't make a difference either.

I don't know if anyone else has had this bug, but any help would be incredibly, greatly appreciated.

why is "and play the game through the TV speakers" italicized?

you said your original problem was with TV and sound system, is said sound system the TV speakers?

if so i would try usb speakers or speaker(s) with 3.5mm jack

if not i would try to use another output other than hdmi for the sound, do you have a receiver that you can run digital optical cable or any other sound carrying cable to? (composite, 3.5mm, etc)

Kyrith

• View Profile
Using speakers via aux cable does indeed solve the problem. Unfortunately the TV and speakers I'd like to play on (I tried both playing directly through the TV speakers via HDMI and through the receiver via HDMI) do not have that option.

There are ways around it -- I was able to get sound by plugging both the HDMI (for video) and an aux cable through an adapter into AV cables on the receiver -- but I'd really like to get this to work in a simpler fashion.

I've tried using HDMI on three different TV's for a total of 4 sound systems (TV A directly, TV A with its receiver, TV B directly, and TV C via Sonos), and oddly enough it worked in precisely one of them, the last one. So I'm sure it has something to do with how the various setups are interpreting the file format of The Reunion (I have no trouble getting audio from any sound system via the vanilla game).

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
There are ways around it -- I was able to get sound by plugging both the HDMI (for video) and an aux cable through an adapter into AV cables on the receiver

you cant plug the hdmi straight from the pc into the TV just for the video and then only run the audio through the adapter?

i've had a similar situation where a certain TV would not play game sounds through hdmi (from my ps4), but the ps4 itself would play all audio from its OS just fine, and you hear clicks from the menu and all that... but as soon as you played a game... no sound from it

never did figure out a solution other than to use something else for the audio
« Last Edit: 2020-04-01 05:19:33 by Orichalcon »