Author Topic: guide  (Read 11279 times)

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
guide
« on: 2005-08-02 11:57:27 »
whats the best gude for FF7, ive seen loads online but they are all a bit messy, has anyone got the official guide in PDF? they could email me or know where it can be downloaded, ???????

Relf

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #1 on: 2005-08-02 14:03:43 »
It might just be me but wouldent having and giving away a PDF version of othe official strategy guide be slightly less than legal?

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
guide
« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-02 17:40:33 »
isnt it out of print, anyway  reselling it on ebay is probably worse as they are making money off it. also i think all the mods for the game are illigal too modifying the game code an all,

i dont support pirate copies of the game, as if everyone did that it would stop them making games, but the guides never going to be reprinted or resold,

Borman

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #3 on: 2005-08-02 17:59:14 »
May be out of print, but you can still find it in a lot of stores. FFVII for PC is generally out of print and decently hard to find in a lot of stores, but they still dont let you download it :P

Books and guides are reprinted pretty often, check out some of the markets in China and Taiwan for examples of that.

Some mods may be considered illegal (IE, No-CD cracks that circumvent copyright protection), but most, if not all of them here arent.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
guide
« Reply #4 on: 2005-08-02 18:01:45 »
Copyright

Read and be enlightened.

Producing further copies of a copyrighted work is, by default, forbidden. Modifying and/or selling it is not.

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
guide
« Reply #5 on: 2005-08-02 18:13:36 »
Quote from: ficedula
Copyright

Read and be enlightened.

Producing further copies of a copyrighted work is, by default, forbidden.Modifying  and/or selling it is not.

most of the forum is set up with people modifying the game

ficedula

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #6 on: 2005-08-02 18:19:03 »
Indeed, and as I said, that's not forbidden by copyright. You did read that, of course?

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
guide
« Reply #7 on: 2005-08-02 18:48:31 »
the back of my final fantasy 7 box says

unauthorised copying,  ADAPTATION, rental, lending, RE-SALE, charging for use broadcast, public performance distribution or EXTRACTION of this product or any trademark or copywrite work that forms part of this product are prohibited.

Borman

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #8 on: 2005-08-02 18:55:04 »
Prohibited by Square, but not necessarily by the law. Doing so would void a warrenty most of the time.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
guide
« Reply #9 on: 2005-08-02 19:03:48 »
Anyway, you can stop arguing about it.  YES, we modify the game.  NO, we're not going to help you get the official guide for free.  They have some nice guides over at GameFAQs.

ficedula

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #10 on: 2005-08-02 19:04:23 »
Indeed. As my previous link documents, selling on a legally obtained copy is explicitly allowed in most legal regimes. Square can forbid it all they want - you're still allowed to do it. Same applies to reverse engineering the file formats (well, maybe not in the US, but we're talking about sane legal regimes here, and luckily most of the hackers on the forum don't live in the US).

Distributing extra copies, however, isn't explicitly allowed in most places: it's explicitly forbidden, since that's what copyright is all about.

EDIT: Sorry Aaron, looks like you just beat me to the 'Submit' button ;)

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
guide
« Reply #11 on: 2005-08-02 23:24:09 »
Just to let you know, in the UK a new version of the game guide has just been reprinted by bradygames.

sells for £12.99 in most shops that carry it.

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
guide
« Reply #12 on: 2005-08-05 13:32:28 »
Quote from: James Pond
Just to let you know, in the UK a new version of the game guide has just been reprinted by bradygames.

sells for £12.99 in most shops that carry it.

thanks do you know where stocks it, ive found one on amazon for under £10 might order one from them, btu id stilllike a copy on PDF so i can put it on CD

James Pond

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #13 on: 2005-08-05 20:44:44 »
Nope. Its not legal.

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
guide
« Reply #14 on: 2005-08-06 08:51:54 »
but if i own the book arnt i entitled to make an electronic back up?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
guide
« Reply #15 on: 2005-08-06 14:32:49 »
Sure, if you own the book, you can get a scanner and Adobe Acrobat (or some cheaper PDF solution) and make a PDF yourself.  I think this is fine, as long as you don't give it to anyone else.

James Pond

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #16 on: 2005-08-06 15:42:40 »
Thats if you want to scan in every page....

Phyltre

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #17 on: 2005-09-05 01:29:05 »
My local Barnes & Noble still has a vintage copy of the strategy guide in it.  Kinda funny, it's been on the shelf for years now in several different places as they've shifted the book sections around.

As for the whole copyright thing, I'm sick of hearing about it.  Life isn't about laws, it's about the repercussions of actions.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
guide
« Reply #18 on: 2005-09-05 02:56:00 »
Quote from: Phyltre
Life isn't about laws, it's about the repercussions of actions.

Ah, but life is about laws. without them, there would be no video games period, or civilization for that matter.

jamesyfx

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #19 on: 2005-09-05 07:17:51 »
We only hear about laws a lot because people keep trying to break them. :p

Bunnie-Maru

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #20 on: 2005-09-05 13:52:03 »
Mmmm, life without laws.

sign me up.

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #21 on: 2005-09-05 14:23:02 »
stop posting things like that... its making me excited =/

Phyltre

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #22 on: 2005-09-05 15:32:12 »
Quote from: RPGillespie
Life isn't about laws, it's about the repercussions of actions.

Ah, but life is about laws. without them, there would be no video games period, or civilization for that matter.

I don't follow.  Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but the fact that we need a society with laws doesn't mean that therefore life is ABOUT laws.  Life is not about laws.  Laws are meant to conscript action in a way that manages the repercussions to people's actions.

Just because something is law doesn't mean it's right, or should be followed.  If you understand the law system, you know that pretty much anything could become law sooner or later, depending on politics on that given day.

...I guess my point is, probably fifty people have read that same strategy guide in that Barnes & Noble.  It's been used many, many times by many people without ever even being sold.  And yet having a .pdf copy is wrong?!  In practice, the law makes little to no sense.  When there is no negative repercussion, it's not wrong.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
guide
« Reply #23 on: 2005-09-05 16:32:18 »
you nkow theres a saying, if noone knows about it, its not illegal ^^

Bunnie-Maru

• View Profile
guide
« Reply #24 on: 2005-09-05 18:47:27 »
...I guess my point is, probably fifty people have read that same strategy guide in that Barnes & Noble. It's been used many, many times by many people without ever even being sold. And yet having a .pdf copy is wrong?!

Ah, but this arguement can be made about every book in the store! So hell, why not have .pdfs of them all!? I mean hell, Im sure they've all been read by 50 or so people and no one has bought them. So in essence, why do we have bookstores in the first place? Why do we even sell books!

Answer those two questions, and you will answer your own.

Not so much as it is wrong as it is opening a flood gate. Who wants to do stuff for free?

Besides:

1.It would be pretty hard to go to a bookstore, read where you're having trouble, then go back home and remember how to do what for some people.
2.Multiple trips would be required for those with multiple problems. You've solved the problem, but now you're faced with a new one. Strap that baby into the car seat, its time for another trip to the bookstore!
3.All the smart kids read the unofficial FAQs online.  :P

These though....I don't know if they're right or wrong.

http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part01.html