Author Topic: [FF7]What do I do with the joints in an animation?  (Read 6696 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
I've used the search on this and no one seems to answer this specifically. It has been helpful, though. I've managed to load all the data correctly at least.

If you've read my blog (about WM and PrC; in my profile, check it out) or even if you haven't, I've been trying to load an enemy animation frame based on the data in **da files. I can load the models just fine, display them just fine, but I can't get them in the right place. I've been trying all day to figure out what to do with the rotations now that I have them. How do I actually center each model with the next? I can load the center of the animation and the rotations of them too. I just can't figure out how to get rotations to equal joint points. I was thinking of taking the rotation of the unit vector, multiplying that by the length of the parent, then adding the parent's center to the result of that. It didn't work (either that or I'm not rotating it correctly, but I think I am). I'm apparently missing something here.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7]What do I do with the joints in an animation?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-16 00:32:54 »
Have you tried taking a look at the kimera source code? It may shed some light on the subject.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-16 02:31:38 »
I did a while back. I remember thinking "I don't get this". Maybe I'll have another go at it since I'm further along than I was.

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-16 09:02:48 »
L.spiro wrote a rather concise document on it and qhimm translated it into C i think it was on the wiki

http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Battle/Battle_Animation_%28PC%29 is the link to it i know you've probably read it already but if not there it is

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-16 20:59:59 »
The wiki page is strangely silent on what to do with the rotations once I have them. I think I figured it out, though.

Rotations are relative and cumulative. That's the most annoying part. If one bone is attached to another, the attached bone gets rotated in addition to its parent's orientation. So there could be a tail with six bones on it. Every center has to be rotated relative to the bone it's connected to. Bone A wants to be rotated 4 degrees, Bone B wants to be rotated 7 degrees but actually gets rotated 11 degrees because its parent is rotated 4 degrees.

I see why this is. They're world transformations as the polys are drawn. What's most annoying is I can't figure out how to apply these transformations correctly. Oh well, I guess I'll keep at it.

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-17 10:36:16 »
I see why this is. They're world transformations as the polys are drawn. What's most annoying is I can't figure out how to apply these transformations correctly. Oh well, I guess I'll keep at it.
Have a look how I do it for field animations http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8969.msg122920#msg122920 .

Kyo13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-16 17:00:11 »
Sorry for the dead topic :S

Having the same problem with battle models here ... I can make them matches somes positions and animations. But there's always some of them that won't matches :(
It's really hard... I've understand that the rotations are cumulatives but that didn't help me ! :S Thanks for the answers here, I'll take a look !

I wondering is there was any method to do it an easier way ... I've seen some tutorials and tried to rescale (and position) parts on 3DS (using the orignal one to place and scale) but no way that never match ! If I didn't scale it on 3DSMAx it's very small on Kimera and if I rescale it with 3DSMax (using original file as model) it's very big in Kimera ! Anyway I always have to rescale on Kimera and it's never placed like I wish :( (always need to rotate a little, move a little etc...).

I am doing something wrong ? I can't understand how you can make them matches all animation frames ?! Please any help would be much appreciated.

PS : Oh yeah sorry I'm a noob, but it's about 1 week I've seen your website, and 4 days that I used 3DSMax and others softs ... (never touched it before). So I've used my head ... I think I can understand because I've understand how to do that for the moment. Just need some tricks please !
« Last Edit: 2010-12-16 17:04:14 by Kyo13 »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-16 18:44:59 »
Sorry for the dead topic :S

I am doing something wrong ? I can't understand how you can make them matches all animation frames ?! Please any help would be much appreciated.
Why yes indeed you are doing something wrong.  Reviving a dead topic to post a problem completely irrelevant to the subject matter would be considered wrong on most accounts.  Couple that with the fact that you've already posted this problem in the Kimera thread, I'd say you've done something very wrong.  Therefore, topic locked and warning issued.
Side thought:  Why the hell does everyone think they are special and can just break rules as long as an apology is given?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-16 19:07:19 »
Funny thing that. If i said " I'm sorry, i know this is wrong" and then punched someone in the face I would fully expect to get pummeled. I don't see how this is any different.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-12-17 00:46:20 »
Very similar to the analogy I used.  Except mine involved a knife and prison time.  tomayto tomahto.

Also, posting in a locked thread FTW! LOL ROFLCOPTER  XD

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 2010-12-18 22:31:35 »
Hey Guys, what's going on in here?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-12-18 22:45:48 »
Oh, you know. Just chillin'