Author Topic: alright guys, i need your help  (Read 5254 times)

Boudreaux

alright guys, i need your help
« on: 2005-06-02 16:55:04 »
Like many of you I love FFVII, but never got a chance to finish it on my old playstation...

So, a recently aquired friend let me borrow his FFVII for PC...before install i did some research and realized that i need patches...

I started playing the game, and everything worked great "right outta the box" but then i got to the part where cloud must race the chocobo, and low and behold, it crashes..

so, following your FAQ which i was directed to from another site, i downloaded the chocobo patch, but this is where my problem begins...

my computer has this weird virus/program that does not allow me to go into "my computer" or "my documents".  When i click to go into these folders, the computer freezes up for a minute... then all the icons on my desktop dissapear, and then everything "returns to normal"...  

as you would guess, this makes it a problem getting to my recently downloaded chocobo patch.  Now, i know this does not directly corolate to FFVII, but if someone coudl help me get rid of whatever is causing this, it would be greatly appreciated so i could go on and finally finish ffVII.

Here's what i know...i have a program that i beleive is causing it all, called "drwatson postmortum debugger" and i think it may have come from a windows update, but i am not sure.  whenever i go into the task manager and end the process for that program, everything runs normal.  When i attempt to get into my documents or my cpu, it comes back up in the task manager processes list.  

Heres how it looks when you go to the task manager
 "drwtsn32.exe"

Now, i suck w/ computers and tweaking them to work better and what not, in fact i have virtually no knowledge (as i dont know how to 'apply' the patch that i d/led either).  I tried deleting the program from my harddrive/computer to no avail, so i am at a loss of what to do next.

SO, i call upon you computer guys to help me out, I can answer more detailed questions if you have any, but if you know where to go from here let me know...

This, whatever it is, thats making my comp. screwy doenst affect internet or other games, or other programs...it just doesnt allow me to get to "my stuff" if you get my drift.  And, if at all possible, you tell me how to open/activate/apply the patch by getting around this problem, thats cool too.

Thanks for all your efforts beforhand,
-B

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-02 17:43:23 »
http://www.qhimm.com/ff7_chocobo_patch.zip

never down off site stuff stay with

www.qhimm.com
or ask us

as for virus well get a virusscaner

drwtsn32.exe my mate had this i just rebooted his pc cos it need it anyway.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-02 17:44:01 »
You will need to post your operating system.

L. Spiro

Boudreaux

« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-02 18:21:59 »
Quote from: ice_cold513
http://www.qhimm.com/ff7_chocobo_patch.zip

never down off site stuff stay with

www.qhimm.com
or ask us

as for virus well get a virusscaner

drwtsn32.exe my mate had this i just rebooted his pc cos it need it anyway.

i HAVE a virus scanner, my mom wanted to play some stupid online backgammon game, ever since then we have had this problem...I am NOT saying it came directly from this download, i think it is a windows update gone wrong, IMHO

how do i post my operating system?  Man, im sure that is a dumb question to al ot of you...

If you mean what i use, its windows XP, and since this is a donated computer, the only thing else i know is that it uses AMD chip...

Boudreaux

« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-02 18:40:39 »
alright, on the advice of another internet board, i went to trendmicro.com and used their free interent virus scan, it did a TON of infected files, but they were all deemd "un-cleanable", so i guess im stuck with them...

Synergy Blades

« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-02 18:50:05 »
Download, install, run. Gets rid of spyware.

Download, install, keep on at all times. Stops viruses/virii.

Download, install with basic options/setup if you don't know what you're doing, keep on at all times. Firewall to stop things getting in/out that shouldn't.

Anyway, back to your problem, the Dr. Watson you encounter isn't a virus, but a Windows program to diagnose problems that programs encounter. So something's messing up to cause Dr. Watson to run. If the above programs combined with a decent cleanout of all the crap programs you no longer use (Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel) doesn't fix it I'm not sure what to suggest.

this makes it a problem getting to my recently downloaded chocobo patch

Just download it straight to your desktop, no My Computer needed.

Boudreaux

« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-02 19:17:16 »
Quote from: Synergy Blades
Download, install, run. Gets rid of spyware.

Download, install, keep on at all times. Stops viruses/virii.

Download, install with basic options/setup if you don't know what you're doing, keep on at all times. Firewall to stop things getting in/out that shouldn't.

Anyway, back to your problem, the Dr. Watson you encounter isn't a virus, but a Windows program to diagnose problems that programs encounter. So something's messing up to cause Dr. Watson to run. If the above programs combined with a decent cleanout of all the crap programs you no longer use (Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel) doesn't fix it I'm not sure what to suggest.

this makes it a problem getting to my recently downloaded chocobo patch

Just download it straight to your desktop, no My Computer needed.

alrighty, im going to complete the steps you have shown here...

about d/ling it to my desktop...what i did was went to "run" then browse...found the file, and drag and dropped it on my desktop...when i tried to open it then, it still did not work...

Boudreaux

« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-02 19:47:46 »
well, no such luck w/ the search and destroy program...i ran it, cleaned out, purged and restarted...still getting the same screwy stuff...

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #8 on: 2005-06-02 22:00:36 »
I don't really like making suggestions when it comes to windows.

But if that was happening to me, and If I couldn't figure out why....
I'd just reinstall Windows. I haven't done that in a very long time...but I'm fairly sure that Windows has a repair feature, where you can re-install it without losing anything on your harddrive, but don't quote me on that.

....are you logged in as the Main User and not a....ummm.... I forget....logged in as a restricted user. Are you sure your not trying to access someone else's My documents folders. Also, if you don't have Administrative access...you most likely can't install programs...., that may include patches. It's also possible that all directories are locked out from you. It's also possible that you have some kind of Parent Blocking Software installed on your (moms?) PC.

It's very strange that you can't access directories like that if your logged in as the Main user.

Boudreaux

« Reply #9 on: 2005-06-02 22:06:24 »
Quote from: Threesixty
I don't really like making suggestions when it comes to windows.

But if that was happening to me, and If I couldn't figure out why....
I'd just reinstall Windows. I haven't done that in a very long time...but I'm fairly sure that Windows has a repair feature, where you can re-install it without losing anything on your harddrive, but don't quote me on that.

....are you logged in as the Main User and not a....ummm.... I forget....logged in as a restricted user. Are you sure your not trying to access someone else's My documents folders. Also, if you don't have Administrative access...you most likely can't install programs...., that may include patches. It's also possible that all directories are locked out from you. It's also possible that you have some kind of Parent Blocking Software installed on your (moms?) PC.

It's very strange that you can't access directories like that if your logged in as the Main user.

i asure you, i am the main user, and i have set up the entire XP myself...well, as much as i can w/ my VERY limited knowledge...perhaps if it is possible to "reboot" windows (see: reinstall) WITHOUT losing info on my harddrive, that would be great and i guess i could try that, anymore Info on that would be great...so i could make an informed decision on what to try next...

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-06-03 07:00:01 »
No, usually reinstalling means wiping your Hd clean first.

I would reccomend getting your hands on a second HD, backing up all your mp3s/pictures/game saves/important files on that, then reinstall windows on your main drive.  Then either move everything back ro just keep it there.

Windows Restore only works when something's happened to windows that fucked it up and you need to go back to an earlier state; it wont back up all your files and keep them on your hard disk where even a reformat wont hurt them or anything magical like that.

Boudreaux

« Reply #11 on: 2005-06-03 15:29:18 »
thanks for all the help so far, i am currently trying another anti-virus progrom from AGV, its scanning and finding all kinds of stuff :-/...i'll let you know how it goes...

Nanaki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-06-04 09:23:36 »
Quote from: Boudreaux

i HAVE a virus scanner, my mom wanted to play some stupid online backgammon game, ever since then we have had this problem...I am NOT saying it came directly from this download, i think it is a windows update gone wrong, IMHO

easy no need to snap (double poster) Welcome

Boudreaux

« Reply #13 on: 2005-06-04 23:09:35 »
okay, so here's whats going down...

On even MORE advice I have received i decided to try AVG anti-virus...i ran the complete scan (lasting over 2 hours) and it found well over 7k INFECTED files and 3 different Trojan Viruses.  Over the course of the past coupla days, i've had to run this test many times b/c my computer (remember i mentioned its donated) keeps over heating...so i have to start all over (lame, i know).  However, each time it does another scan, the infected file number is WAY lower, so i just keep chipping away at it and maybe eventually it will work its way through all the infected files...

I am now already able to open up "my documents' and "my computer" know, which was my main goal...but im still having trouble w/ this drwtsn32.exe  i now have a notepad icon on my desktop that i did not put there.  I put it in the recycling bin, but everytime i have to restart the comp, it comes back (annoying little thing).  Is there anyway i can get rid of the entire program so that i dont have this problem?

Again, thanks for all your help so far, keep it coming...

MaTiAz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005-06-08 08:58:44 »
Quote from: EmperorSteele
No, usually reinstalling means wiping your Hd clean first.

No it doesn't. Windows has a repair feature, so when you reinstall windows, it only replaces damaged system files with working ones. Clean install means wiping the HD clean and then installing the Windows.

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-06-08 21:21:24 »
I find that usually its even easier to use the program thats lready installed to set your computer back like it was at a certain date, clears up most things.