Author Topic: FF7 crashes frequently  (Read 4667 times)

raptor94k

FF7 crashes frequently
« on: 2006-03-11 05:59:09 »
I uh...have all the patches and stuff installed. My problem is the game frequently crashes when battles start. I made the movies run from my harddrive, and it seems to help it a little bit, but it still freezes frequently.

It freezes as the picture does the little swirly thing right before it goes into battle. I can deal with it if I have to, because it doesn't freeze all the time. It can just be rather annoying having to save every ten minutes so my game doesn't crash. Any ideas on a fix?

If you need any specs or anything let me know...

corpse

• View Profile
FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-11 08:40:33 »
The specs would be helpful. And what patches have you installed specifically

christov

FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-11 14:29:37 »
Might be a hardware/drivers issue possibly?
Update graphics drivers :)
And also oike corpse said, specs help people help you :D

raptor94k

FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-11 19:41:17 »
Patches installed:
1) 1.02 or whatever its called
2) the anti-Chocobo race crash patcher thingy (I'm not actually there yet, I just installed it for safety once I get there)
3) Movies run off of hdd

I'm pretty sure these are all the things I've done to fix up FF7. I did have to mess around with the graphics quite a bit to fix the messed up text and the gridlines. But eventually I found that running it with 3D acceleration, with nVidia box checked, and TNT chosen works the best. Or at least it fixed the text and gridline problem, perhaps this is the cause of the crashing some how?

Comp Specs:
2.0ghz AMD XP w/ Venice core (overclocked to 2.7ghz)
250gb Hitachi HDD
256mb GPU nVidia GeForce 6800gt (also overclocked can't recall exact figures off the top of my head)
1gb RAM
...can't really think of anything else you would need...Windows XP Pro is running...I guess thats it...

BTW, I've run it in both Windows 98/ME and Windows 95 compatibility modes and it crashes with both of them running. I have yet to try it without any compatibility modes on, because I assumed it would help rather than hinder it. I'm not at my computer at this moment, because it is in my dorm room but as soon as I return there tomorrow I will check it out.

If you need anything else just let me know. Thanks for all the help :D

EDIT: I will see about updating the drivers as soon as I get back, but I think they might be the most recent version already. Actually now that I think about it, they may not be...

christov

FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #4 on: 2006-03-11 23:02:24 »
well if the drivers dont do it, perhaps you could try using "software renderer" in the renderer portion of the FF7 config. It helped me stop crashes with my geforce card, unfortunately it's not as pretty but it doesn't crash anymore :)

also try unchecking the nvidia box, also helped me cut down on crashes.

VincentVal

• View Profile
FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-12 01:48:28 »
Christov?

Are you Kristov off of Romztower?

christov

FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #6 on: 2006-03-12 11:01:32 »
ermm... no. Sorry to dissapoint.

corpse

• View Profile
FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #7 on: 2006-03-12 16:32:23 »
I had this problem, I fixed by keeping the ff7.exe as v1.00 and only updating the ff7config.

I hope this helps

Kenny1036

FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #8 on: 2006-03-12 16:41:12 »
I think it happens when you alt-tab out of the game...

Midgar

• View Profile
FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #9 on: 2006-03-12 17:20:32 »
I bet its the ANTIVIRUS! Do you have antivirus running in the background? Its probably causing the crashes.

raptor94k

FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #10 on: 2006-03-12 20:55:24 »
Actually, I do have anti-virus running. I suppose I could turn it off, but being on a school network that is a last resort...

CkRtech

• View Profile
    • http://foxyford83.proboards20.com/
FF7 crashes frequently
« Reply #11 on: 2006-03-13 23:53:30 »
Well, you could always pull your ethernet cord and *then* turn it off. (or disable your networking device via Network Connections - although that isn't as much fun as yanking cords)

That way you could determine if antivirus has any impact on it at all. I don't really see antivirus causing issues with FF7...but have at it.