Author Topic: Removing all stat increases at level up ?  (Read 4366 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
Removing all stat increases at level up ?
« on: 2008-12-31 19:51:27 »
Anyone know how to do this, with a hex editor ?

I tried some things by looking at the wiki, but they didn't work. I'm pretty sure the 12 bytes at offset 0x01F8 have to be nulled and that something must be changed in the Primary stat curve 0 - 36 (at offset 0x021C), but I have no clue what exactly.

I want to do this, because I'm making a mod in which the player would have control over his characters' growth (all random enemies would drop sources).

Thanks in advance, and happy new year everyone !  :-D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Removing all stat increases at level up ?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-12-31 21:11:06 »
I think that if you put 0 for every value from 0x01f8 to 0x0203 you will eliminate stat increases, if the wiki is right. It seems that all the bases and gradients and curves are really determining is from which of those 12 bytes' value will be the stat increase; if they are all set to 0, then the stat increase will always be zero, if they are all 10 then the stat increase will always be 10. But I'll have to check this.

It's less than two hours until 2009 here!

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-12-31 21:39:49 »
I thought so too, but I already tried that. Inputting 00h for those 12 bytes made Cloud still gain at least 1 point in each stat at level up.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-12-31 21:50:15 »
Hmmm...that is confusing. Well, it's a long shot, but have you tried replacing all the values from 0x021c to 0x046b with 0s?

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-12-31 22:11:30 »
Thanks for the help, LKM. 'Tis really appreciated :-)
I tried that, and the game... ...crashes, kinda. Cloud starts the game with 0 HP, 0 MP, 0 level, etc.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-12-31 22:20:41 »
Well, I didn't expect that to happen  :?

I can't think of anything else that would stop characters getting stat increases other than stopping them from getting level up, and that's would, of course stop them from getting HP and make them do less damage, so that won't work.

*furrows brow*

So, does anyone else have any ideas?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: 2009-01-01 13:48:50 »
As I see it Leighos Kudistos Megistos should be correct with his 1st post. There are originally some zeros there, I don't see how there could be any stat increase at all if they're all zeroes. Wierd indeed.

Making the gradients and bases zeros are pointless if the 1st work.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-01-01 14:07:08 »
This is quite odd. Half an hour ago I filled 0x01f8 to 0x0203 with 0s and my characters didn't gain anything in stats at level up (but their HP and MP gains were normal).

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-01-01 14:49:21 »
OK, never mind, I found it  :-)

You guys were right : filling 0x01f8 to 0x0203 with 0s indeed made Cloud not gain a single point in each stat... ...but only from level 2 onwards. Yesterday evening, I only tested the very first level-up, and because Cloud still gains 1 point in each stat when he reaches level 2, I thought this change didn't work at all.
It's weird Cloud still gains one point in each stat when he reaches level 2, though. But heh, I can live with only one point gained for all 99 levels :-)

Thanks a lot, guys  :-D