Author Topic: Hardware musings...  (Read 3349 times)

Contra

• View Profile
    • http://contraspontanus.deviantart.com
Hardware musings...
« on: 2003-05-15 02:51:42 »
Does anyone think it would be feasable to merge the pieces from a Portable CD player, a GBA, and PSone with controller to make a portable PSX? I want to see if I could try, although I'll probably fail, I think I'll give this a go.

Heh, any constructive criticism would be great.

~Contra, Rider of the Astral Fire~

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
Hardware musings...
« Reply #1 on: 2003-05-15 05:42:45 »
1. get one of those mini-screens
2. hook it up

my friend has a combo of those two

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
Hardware musings...
« Reply #2 on: 2003-05-15 15:49:20 »
Welll considering Sony are doing something similar anyway....

Contra

• View Profile
    • http://contraspontanus.deviantart.com
Hardware musings...
« Reply #3 on: 2003-05-15 20:29:05 »
1. With the mini screens you still have the screen, the system, and the controller. I want one unit. with the screen right on top of the disc tray, and buttons. No wires, so I can hold it in my hands and play on-the-go.

2. The new Sony product won't play PSX games, only games for it, which will be on MiniDVDs, like Gamecube games.

Cyberman

• View Profile
Portable PSX? Hmmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 2003-05-15 21:43:29 »
Well there are many approaches to this.
none of which are going to be liked in my opinion :)
Approach 1:
gut several PS ONE's of there parts
motherboard case CD unit
make a new case and then use Samsungs nifty NTSC LCD's without the '$%@#$ case.  Manufacture a new case and put the parts that WERE in the PS-ONE into the new case. The new case is a bit different. The PS-ONE controls are on the 'flip' side of the case IE all your built in controls are basically part of the case along with the screen. The CD and motherboard are on the other side (IE under the display) so the CD opens upside down from playing. It's workable but kind of ugly.Add a speaker new power supply etc. and POOF you have a portified PSONE ;)

problems
DAMN expensive a lot of work and more importantly putting new CD's into it requires you to flip your screen over then open the CD cover puting the new CD in and then closing the case. Not complicated but not friendly either.

Approach 2:
This is not going to be liked either but is MUCH more practical.
Get a LCD from Samsung 640x480 resolution and 256K colors.
Need a Smart Media card an ARM processor (Samsung makes one idealic for this), ribbon style speakers (wee?). Might want a DSP to handle sound (namely emulating midi and smoothing sound etc.) stuff some nice D2A's with coupled with TI's nice Class D amplifiers.

You need the following, source code to one of the acelerated GPU plugins, source code for one of the SPU plugins, source code for one CD plugin as well. Linux ARM source.  PCSX source code will be needed, if you can find an ARM port that's even better.

Also needed one ARM based processor with a nice developement environment. This is not too hard to do trust me. PCSX can emulate most of the PSX without TOO much trouble. You need a 256M x 32 SDRAM that gives you 32Megs of RAM for your processor. (PC133 speed is good enough for this).  As well as 2 64Mx32 PC133 SDRAM (graphics memory).
You need 2 (yes 2) AM29LV128MH113E these are 110NS this gives you 32megs of flash ROM (boot rom basically). It should store your 'main' code for PCSX.
3 Altera EP1C20's for all the glue logic clock generation video and SDRAM refresh control. (these require to be programed on boot up by the processor that's why the flash ROM is so large).

Need an embeded systems programer to do the low level programing one EE to create the video system (64bit wide might seem tiny from a PC's video perspective but we don't have a PC here do we?)  I suppose you could litterally emulate the PSX's with the hardware as well.  The biggest 'failings' would be GTE emulation that however can be handled with PCSX code.  BIOS emulation I understand is built into PCSX so that will reduce difficulties as well.

EIDE based 1/3 height DVD/CD ROM drive would work just dandy.  Since you can 'make' your own spec here.
Custom case to house control buttons USB hub ports and serial ports. Also Lithium ION battery(s) and charger electronics and charger/power supply.

Touch screen mouse would be handy and standard PSX controller ports and card interfaces as well.

Just need to code in a 'cheat' interface to PCSX and you are all set.

3:
Buy a laptop with the 3d acelerators in and use ePSXe or PCSX with the proper GPU plugins.

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Some already made a PSp with a psone...
« Reply #5 on: 2003-05-16 00:33:42 »
The whole deal is right here

http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/PSp/PSp1.htm

-halkun