Author Topic: Wanting a Tattoo  (Read 20655 times)

korren10284

Wanting a Tattoo
« on: 2011-07-25 02:18:42 »
I've been looking to get a tattoo (my first one).  I plan on placing it on my left pec.  I have no artistic capability.  What I am looking for is a tribalized version of the ff7 meteor.  I want to have it be similar enough to be recognized by a ff7 lover, but not look bad as a tattoo.  I have seen many meteor tattoos and most of them do not look very good.  From my lack of findings, I guess I am looking for one to be designed by somebody who is passionate about the game.  I want it to be about the size of the palm of a hand, but that is negotiable.
Thanks.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Wanting a Tattoo
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-25 12:18:56 »
This is my opinion. Others will disagree; still others will find me preachy:

Please don't do this.

Seriously, for the love of god. Don't stain your body with some smudgy, weeaboo, crummy videogame tattoo. A tattoo is a lifelong commitment, a permanent bodily change. It should signify something you will be bonded with for the rest of your life - a sibling, a parent, a child, or a terrible regret. A videogame just isn't worth that much.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-25 13:57:54 »
Please don't do this.

Fufu, don't discourage him, Bosola-kun.

People who get video game tattoos should win Darwin awards; it's one of the only ways in which sexual selection still favours high intelligence.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-25 14:23:38 »
Ozzy Osbourne, a man covered in tattoos once said, "If you really want to be unique, don't get a tattoo"

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-25 16:30:53 »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-25 18:06:24 »
Hope she got a refund, looks half assed.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-25 19:06:19 »
Doing an image seach for "tribal meteor" and "tribal circle" comes up with a couple of different things that could be combined to get the look you desire.
Maybe you should try and come up with a design based on those things, to look something like this:

It doesn't look distinctively ff7ish, though, so you'd have to work with it some.

« Last Edit: 2011-07-25 19:11:45 by Opine »

korren10284

« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-28 02:36:01 »
This is my opinion. Others will disagree; still others will find me preachy:

Please don't do this.

Seriously, for the love of god. Don't stain your body with some smudgy, weeaboo, crummy videogame tattoo. A tattoo is a lifelong commitment, a permanent bodily change. It should signify something you will be bonded with for the rest of your life - a sibling, a parent, a child, or a terrible regret. A videogame just isn't worth that much.

I understand your opinion and I also highly respect it.  I'm 26 now, and like I said earlier, no tattoos yet (or piercings for that matter).  But, I have played FF7 since it came out.  Video games have been my comfort food since I was 6.  I have been through multiple abusive fathers and other family problems, and the only thing that never judged me when I was growing up was video games.  I play video games all the time.  So, a FF7 tattoo is not just some fun idea for a random tattoo, its the symbol of a prominent positive influence in my life.  And my intent is not to get some mainstream tattoo, I want it to be very original.  This is also why I have yet to get one, because I have not been able to get the right tattoo for the lifetime commitment.  I am ready to make the commitment as long as it is for the right tattoo.  I hoped that coming on to this forum, I would be able to find somebody who has the ability to draw one for me.  Most (if not all) of the people here are fans of some degree of the final fantasy series.  I don't want some tattoo artist, who I know nothing about, to charge me for some design that I will probably not like.  At least here, the person who chooses to draw it, will do it with a passion, and that will probably be the tattoo that I want.  Thanks for the time you took to read this.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-28 05:24:34 »
The only tatoo I'd ever get would be some sort of very small emblem and then only on parts that don't distort heavily over age.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-28 05:37:16 »
a FF7 tattoo is not just some fun idea for a random tattoo, its the symbol of a prominent positive influence in my life.

If a video game is the most prominent positive influence on your life that you could think of, there's something very wrong with your life.

If you insist on vandalising your body with a "positive influence", can't it a least be some important person's name? If you did that, there'd be a  chance that not every girl would kick you out as soon as you took your shirt off.

The only tatoo I'd ever get would be some sort of very small emblem and then only on parts that don't distort heavily over age.

On your balls?

They're the only parts that don't distort with age because they're already as wrinkly as they're ever going to be.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-28 14:02:32 »
If a video game is the most prominent positive influence on your life that you could think of, there's something very wrong with your life.

If you insist on vandalising your body with a "positive influence", can't it a least be some important person's name? If you did that, there'd be a  chance that not every girl would kick you out as soon as you took your shirt off.
Personally, I find names more weird for tattoos than symbols.
I have a friend who had her daughter's name tattooed on her when she was born. I find that pretty weird. I mean, she's you're daughter. She's going to be with you daily as it is. Do you need her name tatooed on your back? I find it the equivalent of getting "Mom" tattooed on yourself somewhere.

Also, not every girl is going to run screaming at the sight of a tat. In fact, as long as it's tastefully done, I can only imagine very few having a problem with it. And these are probably not the type of ladies one would want to date anyways.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-28 14:27:51 »
My cousin has a cactuer near his ankle and it is class :P   :-D

But yes, be sure you aren't gonna regret a tattoo.  Never have a tattoo of a girlfriend :P

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-28 19:17:27 »
I'd say no, just because 1. you can never know if you will regret getting it until later on, and 2. I saw a guy who had an FF7 tattoo once, he had Tifa's Avatar down his arm, he worked at 7-11 and looked like he never worked out a day in his life.

Not saying that would be you, but yeah.

Honestly, you do whatever you decide, it's not like its our bodies you are getting the tattoo on, but if it were me, I would stick to getting a shirt, or a necklace instead.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-29 17:26:24 »
Personally, I find names more weird for tattoos than symbols.

Surely that depends on what the symbol is?

For example, aside from my philosophical objections, I'd see a tattoo of a crucifix or a star of David as being less weird than a name. But this is a symbol from a video game. That's far more weird than a name.

Every time he explains to someone what his tattoo is and he's not at some weeaboo convention, they're going to give him very strange looks. Having "mom" tattooed on his arm would be less weird.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-30 00:49:23 »
I have wanted a tattoo since i was probably 15. I am 26 now nad still have none. I've picked out tattoos on 6 occasions since then, and kept a copy of it. I kept telling myself, "If i still want this in 6 months, then I'll get it." And every time, 6 months down the road, I pat myself on the back for not getting one.

I recently had a friend of mine draw up a sick tattoo of some lines of text that would run down the majority of my back. That was 3 months ago, and I already feel good that it's not permanently stuck to my back.

Lee

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-30 01:12:33 »
One can never go wrong with a penis butterfly tattoo . . .  :-o

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-30 05:27:00 »
i don't think he's asking if he should get it, he's asking for a good design for it. i honestly don't think people should be shooting this down.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-30 05:29:38 »
Even if it's a really terrible decision?

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-30 05:42:40 »
Even if it's a really terrible decision?

not your basic decision to make, nor influence.

he asked for a little help finding a good image to use, not whether or not he should get the tattoo.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-30 06:25:00 »
Korren10284, I am assuming you are getting the tattoo becuase you will like it and realize its significance, not because you want to show it off or impress others.  It is an irreversible decision, but you've probably already considered that.  That being said, I think it is a great idea and your choice of a tribalized Meteor means that it wouldn't be bizarre in social settings if that is one of your concerns.  Just make sure that you go to a reptuable tattoo parlor and you have it done by an experienced artist.  Even if you do end up regretting it sometime in the future...what repercussions do you really face?  I don't see any.  A wrinkly symbol of absolute joy on an aging man-chest, or a wrinkly man-chest without the symbol...what's makes one so bad/regrettable?

I understand regrets about a name or something of great significance that has lost its prior meaning, but are you really going to wake up one morning 20 years from now and say, "Damn that Final Fantasy VII, why was it ever a significant part of my life!"  Love for FFVII is not temporary; like a diamond...it's forever.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-30 06:35:21 by xLostWingx »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: 2011-07-30 09:05:03 »
I understand regrets about a name or something of great significance that has lost its prior meaning, but are you really going to wake up one morning 20 years from now and say, "Damn that Final Fantasy VII, why was it ever a significant part of my life!"  Love for FFVII is not temporary; like a diamond...it's forever.

notsureifserious.jpg

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #21 on: 2011-07-30 12:41:18 »
notsureifserious.jpg

In this instance "you" is referring to Korren, not the general 'you all'.  Why is anyone who will not hold this game close to their heart even visiting Qhimm?  A 14 year long emotional attachment is well beyond most people's minimum requirements for getting a tattoo of something.  Besides, a tribal meteor is relatively benign.  I wouldn't agree that he should get a portrait of Aeris on his chest or a Midgar Zolem on his forearm.  No disrespect, but your position seems to be that no one should get a tattoo ever.  Different people treat cherished memories differently.  Some people take 200 photographs every family event, but some take none.  Some people feel the memory in their mind is sufficient.  Korren seems to want something symbolic and tangible to serve as a constant reminder...this tattoo seems appropriate for him.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-07-30 16:57:20 »
In this instance "you" is referring to Korren, not the general 'you all'.  Why is anyone who will not hold this game close to their heart even visiting Qhimm?  A 14 year long emotional attachment is well beyond most people's minimum requirements for getting a tattoo of something.  Besides, a tribal meteor is relatively benign.  I wouldn't agree that he should get a portrait of Aeris on his chest or a Midgar Zolem on his forearm.  No disrespect, but your position seems to be that no one should get a tattoo ever.  Different people treat cherished memories differently.  Some people take 200 photographs every family event, but some take none.  Some people feel the memory in their mind is sufficient.  Korren seems to want something symbolic and tangible to serve as a constant reminder...this tattoo seems appropriate for him.

I agree with your point. Plus, if it's on his chest, it's not going to be seen at many social settings other than the pool or swinger parties. At which point he can always just say "It's a meteor" and not explain it's from an rpg.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-07-30 18:53:24 »
/\ That works if you do that, kinda like how I wear Squall's necklace from time to time and if somebody asks me why I got it, I say "Because it looks cool" not "Because I love FF games"

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-07-30 20:13:54 »
Well I say cactuer cause they are class and funny :P