Author Topic: China quality parenting: mother and father sell kids to pay for MMO  (Read 4503 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
In their defense, they're only allowed to have one child in China...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
They got rid of that law when they realised that there were no girls and that they were facing the same kind of demographic problems as Japan.

Indeed, China's self-inflicted demographic problems make me think that they won't be nearly as powerful in the rest of the 21st century as most people seem to think.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-28 18:40:25 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:29:07 by Jenova's Witness »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Don't they shoot babies out of those T-shirt cannons at concerts in China?

No, they fire them out of cannons to control riots. It's how they deal with all the civil unrest.

zoostation

• All glory to the Hypnotoad
    • View Profile
Don't blame China, anywhere that has parents is bound to have its share of terrible parents. And anywhere that has internet gaming has its share of ridiculous gaming addicts.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Don't blame China, anywhere that has parents is bound to have its share of terrible parents. And anywhere that has internet gaming has its share of ridiculous gaming addicts.

This phenomenon of parents getting rid of their children in order to play MMOs does seem to be more common in East Asia, although there are a few cases in the West.

This German woman, for example, killed her children so she could play WoW. She faced a 15-year sentence. One wonders whether the sentence for repeated child murder would have been so lenient if the father had been the killer.