Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI - Definitive  (Read 117583 times)

Final Fantasy VI - Definitive
« Reply #100 on: 2009-07-16 00:29:47 »
Just wanted to show some love for this project. Also if anyones got a spar of the beta could they send it to me? Thanks :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2009-07-16 05:34:13 »
I think the last guy who asked for the beta ended up empty handed.  You could try emailing (or PMing) Changeling to remind him about this project, as I'm sure he has forgotten about it once again  :-P

« Reply #102 on: 2009-07-16 16:03:11 »
I did Email him, I hope he gets back to me.

kmfdm515

« Reply #103 on: 2010-03-03 13:18:20 »
anyone ever get ahold of the OP?  did this ever come out?

alternatively, is there any other patch out there that would put the GBA translation into the SNES ROM?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2010-03-03 15:34:53 »
anyone ever get ahold of the OP?  did this ever come out?

alternatively, is there any other patch out there that would put the GBA translation into the SNES ROM?
Check this out http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7330.msg108681#msg108681

kmfdm515

« Reply #105 on: 2010-03-03 16:07:58 »
i saw that it was almost 8 months ago...i was just wondering if anyone heard back.

if not - anyone know of any other patch out there that would put the GBA translation into the SNES ROM?

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2010-03-04 21:38:39 »
does anyone know what the beta on the first page contains

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2010-03-04 21:41:26 »
I think we've decided this project was discontinued because the author forgot about it....

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #108 on: 2010-03-09 19:22:30 »
Yes the GBA version is sh*t, and the SNES one has a horrid translation.   ;)

My computer crashed a while ago, and I lost my files.  I felt a bit discouraged as it was almost done.  But that doesn't excuse my total disappearance.

I feel bad, lately I've been getting lots of emails.  The hype of this thing has been growing and it's inspiring.  I know you've probably lost faith in me but I'm going to finish it this time.

But the thing is, what's discouraging or makes me lose interest is this isn't my creation you know?

People are expecting this from me though and I know how it feels when a mod that would make a game so much better takes forever and ever.
I'm not being altruistic, this is for me too.
And, this thread has been viewed over ten thousand times, that's good enough for me.

I could get it out faster is if I had some help.  Not that you have to but if you can contribute I would love to have you.  It's really easy, just time consuming.

The objective is to pick out or combine three translations and if you can add in a detail or two that brings out more emotion or detail that makes it all the better.
I know some of you may be thinking I just want a straight forward GBA translation but believe me it's not perfect.  A lot was censored and some of the dialogue to me seems aimed for children.
Don't get me wrong though that version is going to be the bulk of the new translation.

Anyway, first thing, Gjoerulv, my partner.  Do you have any of the files I'd given you?  Because I was quite far into the project and it would make things a whole lot easier.

So, please don't be like "Yeah yeah we've heard that before" because I will get it done soon, I promise.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-09 21:04:28 by Changeling »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2010-03-09 19:38:26 »
Weren't you trying to incorporate the FMV's too?

Here's hoping 3rd time's the charm  :)

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #110 on: 2010-03-09 20:09:13 »
Well, if by incorporate you mean throw the FMVs in with the rest of the files yeah lol :)

And it will be, trust me.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #111 on: 2010-03-14 03:11:18 »
Anyway, first thing, Gjoerulv, my partner.  Do you have any of the files I'd given you?  Because I was quite far into the project and it would make things a whole lot easier.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

That's quite the time ago, but I know I have it somewhere... give me some time to check.

Is this it? I think it's the newest ips you released.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-14 03:21:29 by gjoerulv »

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2010-03-20 21:25:09 »
Well I wish you luck. ^.^. FFVI was one of my favorites. :D. I look forward to seeing the end product of your hard work. ^.^
Thank you.

-Mendel

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #113 on: 2010-03-20 22:38:25 »
Well, so far I've finished just about every item and monster.  The magic and techniques need some work because of the space limitation. And the script is 70% complete from the version that Gjoerulv sent me.

What's frustrating me is the text limitation.  Mostly it's turned out alright but there will still be remnants of Ted Woolsleys crap and no space between item words.

Anyway my question is, when I reduce the text size, for the Dialogue and Menu fonts, I won't have more characters in these programs so they're going to have to be fixed manually if that's even possible.

What will be perfect is the dialogue, but everything that doesn't fit in the menu I'm guessing will have to stay that way unless we can figure out something.

Here are some examples of compromises.

Cursed Shld         Cursed Shield
   Mythril Shld         Mythril Shield
   Golden Shld         Golden Shield
   Diamond Shld         Diamond Shield
   Thunder Shld         Thunder Shield
   Crystal Shld         Crystal Shield
   Paladin Shld         Paladin's Shield
   TortoiseShld         Tortoise Shield

Bustier          Minerva Bustier
   LuminousRobe         Luminous Robe
   BehemothSuit         Behemoth Suit
   LeatherArmor         Leather Armor
   DiamondArmor         Diamond Armor

And I don't know how I'm going to pull the espers off.  These are the ones left that don't fit.

Shoat            Catoblepas
Carbunkl         Carbunkle
Zoneseek         Zona Seeker
Palidor            Quetzalli
Tritoch            Valigarmanda
Terrato            Midgarsormr
Starlet            Lakshmi - Actually I left Starlet there because I like it better than Lakshmi.
Alexandr         Alexander

Also the magic, there's like a 6 characters limit I believe so most of them I can't change.

Cure 2            Cura
Cure 3            Curaga
Antdot            Poisona
Life            Raise
Life 2            Arise
Life 3             Reraise
Fire 2            Fira
Fire 3            Firaga
Ice            Blizzard
Ice 2            Blizzara
Ice 3            Blizzaga
Bolt            Thunder
Bolt 2            Thundara
Bolt 3            Thundaga
Demi            Gravity
Quartr            Graviga
W Wind            Tornado
Mltdwn            Meltdown
Mute            Silence
Safe            Protect
Muddle            Confuse
Bserk            Berserk
Rflect            Reflect
Haste2            Hastega
Slow 2            Slowga
Warp            Teleport

Ahhh....anyway.  It's Saturday night and I'm going out.  If any of you guys have some time tonight figure this out.

Here's the update.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/THE0N3RlYStlaFEwTVE9PQ

And here is the new translation FAQ.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/930370/47015

It has all the names from SNES to GBA
« Last Edit: 2010-03-20 22:54:26 by Changeling »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2010-03-22 06:35:33 »
Mirror'd. I don't trust yousendit.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-22 06:44:12 by Covarr »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #115 on: 2010-04-03 01:38:15 »
Alright, I've got some more work done on this tonight.

And I've decided, that since we can't come to a consensus and I can't make up my damn mind I'm going with the FFVI Advance font.

There's only one problem with it though, I don't know what it is.  Does anyone know?

Also Gjoerulv, I need to ask you some questions so can you leave your MSN open?

My biggest one being is it possible to add more character space in the battle menu.  I know I've asked this before but this goes out to everyone it's so frustrating to try and compensate for the lack of space.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-03 01:40:39 by Changeling »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2010-04-03 05:38:11 »
And I've decided, that since we can't come to a consensus and I can't make up my damn mind I'm going with the FFVI Advance font.

There's only one problem with it though, I don't know what it is.  Does anyone know?
It's probably a custom bitmap font, as video game fonts often are (especially on 2D systems). Your best best is ripping the font, either using tile software (if it's not compressed), or getting it from screenshots (if it IS compressed).

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2010-04-09 14:40:40 »
Mirror'd.

From what i've understood this will be a snes rom turned perfect, right?
How can i play this?

Btw, loving your effort changeling, FF6 is one of my favourites of the series.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2010-04-09 16:10:59 »
Mirror'd.

From what i've understood this will be a snes rom turned perfect, right?
How can i play this?

Btw, loving your effort changeling, FF6 is one of my favourites of the series.
It's a .ips file. Using a program such as Lunar IPS to apply it to an unmodified FFVI ROM. However, I have not tried it myself, opting to wait until he's finished.

Changeling, are you working with a US or Japanese ROM here? What ROM does the patch need to be applied to?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2010-04-11 17:25:32 »
Still looking forward to this.  Any progress update?

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #120 on: 2010-04-11 17:47:20 »
Well I haven't much to do today so I've been planning on it.  Just keep the messages coming they make me feel guilty enough to work on it lol

No I'm just kidding I want to get this done.

Check this out, it's called Lunar Expand.  This guy TimeSpace sent me a link to it two years ago but I never looked into it.

http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/le/index.html

Could this help with the battle menu?
That's all I need help with and I'll take care of the rest.  I just need a bit more space and worst case scenario we can't do anything about it then we'll just make the magic FF7 style and improvise with the espers, etc.

But overall don't worry, this will come out.  It was supposed to come out two years ago I know, and I know this may sound like a lie but my computer did crash, luckily I got a copy sent to me so I mean it should be done in no time.

Final Fantasy VI has so much potential, everything I'm doing here will make it really impressive.  Up there with VII.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-11 17:53:16 by Changeling »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2010-04-11 18:18:02 »
can we put higher rez sprites in? think the highrez texture packs for ocarina of time etc.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2010-04-11 20:10:09 »
I doubt this would be possible given the size requirements of the sprites. I do not think it is something that can be changed. I could be wrong however.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #123 on: 2010-04-11 22:14:25 »
can we put higher rez sprites in? think the highrez texture packs for ocarina of time etc.

Well, you could do it if you really wanted to.  But you would have to make an entire port of it for windows.  Then we could have it in widescreen HD...whatever

If you're up to doing that go for it.  I really doubt that would happen given the amount of work that you'd have to do.  

This guy made A Link to the Past for windows basically, but what he made it into a free online game that was actually cool.  It was like a small online community of about 200 people and everyone knew everybody.  Sparring was what made it fun.  I was into it when I was a kid.  56k modems and sh*t lol.

Then he started to charge money for it, got sued, but it's still around because it was different enough I guess.  But it's not the same old game anymore, it looks completely different.  But that link will give you a taste of what it's like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwE8-8GTFhw

But back on topic I'm getting some more work done, so don't worry.  It will be out soon and it won't take forever.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-11 22:21:49 by Changeling »

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2010-04-18 08:45:12 »
How's this coming?
Changeling are you going to finish first what you intended in the beginning or will you stall it and work on the menus/HD thingy?

One thing at a time, man, one thing at a time :P