Author Topic: [FF7] Dramatically improved pre-rendered backgrounds - FacePalmer (v3.0)  (Read 130067 times)

-Ric-

• View Profile
im uploading at 200 kb's and downloading at 30 kbs xDD

but its ok.. after 2-3 people finish it downloading and (hopefully) leave it seeding.. it will get rly fast

Kemlin

• View Profile
I'm up to about 600KB now. It doesn't take too long to go faster.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
Here are the commands to easily install these files from the command line.

Copy the 'field' folder from inside FacePalmer.zip and paste it into C:\Temp.
Download and run unrarw32.exe.
Place 'unrar.exe' in C:\Temp.
Start a command window and enter this code or create a .bat file.

Code: [Select]
    REM *** SET FF7ModPath=Your Final Fantasy VII installation folder
    SET FF7ModPath=C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII
    CD /d C:\Temp
    FORFILES /m *.rar /c "cmd /c ^0x22C:\Temp\unrar.exe^0x22 x -y @file ^0x22%FF7ModPath%\field\^0x22"

-PitBrat

Omzy

• View Profile
Alternatively, with WinRAR, you can just follow this procedure:

Also, it might make it easier for future downloaders if we could unRar all of them first and then make a torrent. Then it's just drag, drop, and play.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-06 17:57:07 by Omzy »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Want me to do that?
Everyone who is already seeding can do it as well, and if I send them the new file and they keep the data in place we'd still have all the seeds.

EDIT: Someone goes to Med School :P
« Last Edit: 2011-08-06 18:29:18 by jeffdamann »

obesebear

• View Profile
Just wanted to comment on the WinRar thing.... 7zip is much much better and can handle most other compression methods as it's open source* and constantly being updated.

*may need verification

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
wouldn't say it is much better...  my own tests say the difference is small, but 7zip is superior in a lot of areas true.

Omzy

• View Profile
Want me to do that?
Everyone who is already seeding can do it as well, and if I send them the new file and they keep the data in place we'd still have all the seeds.

EDIT: Someone goes to Med School :P
Sure if you could, and I'll post the new link in the first post.

And not for long if I keep playing games like this  ;)

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Never mind about the Mediafire links, unless you want 15 of them.

Omzy

• View Profile
Any feedback yet?

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
from me poking around in the images, they look amazing, I simply CAN NOT WAIT to get them up ingame, If someone will provide us with unmodded screenshots, I can get the modded ones.

Ill make the new file shortly.

When I do everyone follow OMZY's extract all to different folders method and get the new file so that we will have all our seeds.

Omzy

• View Profile
Sounds good, sorry for the folder archiving confusion, my original upload to SkyDrive required that no file be larger than 100mb, so I had to rar each folder because I couldn't upload the entire thing as one file.

Edit: So far from playtesting a bit I've found that many alpha animations (like lighting effects) don't blend correctly and some lines show up. Also some backgrounds require a white background before cutting instead of a black one and that also causes lines to show up. Both things aren't present on the vast majority of files, but alas, that is another thing I will have to fix and make a re-release for. It will be a while before that gets done though. For anyone that is interested in helping, the script is posted and you're welcome to make edits if you think you can improve it.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-06 21:27:51 by Omzy »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Where do I stick these things to make them work? Its been a while for me.

Vegadawg2

• Admitted Fanboy
    • View Profile
Well I have been unzipping these one at a time and cut,pasting them into the proper folders.  I have found some anomalies that I will post after I'm done. (Ex. new folders in this field pack that weren't in previous field folders, and having to rename a few .png's so they overwrite the originals correctly.) This seems to be quite a monumental task so it may be awhile.  Loving all the hard work everyone does here and just happy to do my part to help. Unzipping 600 some files one at a time takes awhile so I will post an update ASAP basically.  Anyone who wants to put up a torrent of all these files already unzipped would be an angel in my book!  Thanks again everyone!

Edit: I have successfully unzipped every single folder individually and copied the contents to my field folder.  The only strange thing I noticed was a couple of png's needed to be renamed to overwrite my old field files.  I also deleted any png that was just black with nothing else on it.  Are those crucial to making these backgrounds work?  Going to test in game now and see how amazing this looks.  I play the game at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 so I will definitely see the differences.  I'm ashamed to admit that I accidentally erased my notepad file that i was using to keep track of my results on from this project.  From memory the pngs that I had to change the name of just had an extra"_3" or a extra "_5" in the name.  Again, hoping I didn't mess anything up by doing that.  I wish I could remember the exact folders I did this in but I can't.  I just know that it was somewhere in the B's.  Also I'm guessing that there are more files in this field pack than previous releases from other people because this is all-inclusive unlike previous background rendering projects?  Also wanted to say that most of the png files in Facepalmer were smaller than the pngs I was replacing so that is kind of a relief for those who like to minimize.  But the all-in-all growth of the field folder was about double.  From about 1.5 gigs to 3 gigs these days.  I will quit rambling now and end this post.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-07 04:18:00 by Vegadawg2 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Where do I stick these things to make them work? Its been a while for me.

It tells you on first post.

-Ric-

• View Profile
Any feedback yet?

well like u noted on ur post after.. some things still need work but.. compared to the original resolution backgrounds.. they look simply.. AWESOME lol

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
and furthering tests with 7zip, looks like in some cases it really is vastly superior...  Depends on what files... but yeah, winrar is officially second best :P  :-D

PitBrat

• View Profile
I've scanned through the FacePalmer textures and found a few anomalies.

Missing Folders:
    blin69_1
    blin67_4
    nivl_e3
    rckt3
    rckt32
    whitein

Bad Name:
    blin62_3_00_00.png instead of blin62_00_00.png
    blin62_3_01_00.png instead of blin62_01_00.png
    blin62_3_15_00.png instead of blin62_15_00.png
    blin66_5_00_00.png instead of blin66_00_00.png
    blin66_5_01_00.png instead of blin66_01_00.png
    blin66_5_15_00.png instead of blin66_15_00.png

Black Lines:
    anfrst_3_01_00.png

I'm integrating the best of FacePalmer with yarLson's and sl1982's texture packs for the Bootleg.
Hopefully we're finally rid of all those pesky scenery glitches.

-PitBrat

Azrael_SEt

Thanks for the torrent but why did you zip everything? I just need the ship1 and 2 files....

Nice work!!!!

Omzy

• View Profile
All of the 'special cases' in the first post are not included, so all of those should be missing (ship_2 is also not there, forgot to add it to the list). I was not aware of naming issues. Palmer does a pretty good job at importing/exporting, but it is definitely not perfect. The biggest problem at the moment is the lighting problem, which I know how to fix, but it will just be a pain in the ass to re-process everything and release again. It will come, but it will take a bit. For now, do what you can to make it playable and things will improve as myself and the other field people work it out.

yarLson, I don't think you should end your project, but you can use the script to move quickly through all the files. Most will not need any touchups at all and that will save you tons of time. The others should have many of the field files looking fine but only a background or an animation to touch-up, saving even more time. In the end, I think it is your effort that will produce the most refined final product that we are working towards. FacePalmer was really meant to get something out that people can play asap because that gets more people interested.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-07 16:42:13 by Omzy »

PitBrat

• View Profile
I noticed the FacePalmer textures aren't as vividly colored as Yarlson's.
But FacePalmer fixed those annoying spots where the scenery overlapped in the wrong spot.
That happened a lot in the Shinra building.
I visually compared every texture from Yarlson and SL1982 with FacePalmer and selected the set I found most appealing.  I also replaced almost all of the lighting textures (15 and up) with those from Yarlson and SL1982.
I've automated the process in Bootleg.

This really makes FF7 look amazing.

Thanks for the hard work!

-PitBrat

Omzy

• View Profile
I noticed the FacePalmer textures aren't as vividly colored as Yarlson's.
But FacePalmer fixed those annoying spots where the scenery overlapped in the wrong spot.
That happened a lot in the Shinra building.
I visually compared every texture from Yarlson and SL1982 with FacePalmer and selected the set I found most appealing.  I also replaced almost all of the lighting textures (15 and up) with those from Yarlson and SL1982.
I've automated the process in Bootleg.

This really makes FF7 look amazing.

Thanks for the hard work!

-PitBrat
Nice job! I'm glad you guys are helping out--this is indeed a huge project.

Azrael_SEt

I can't Export gldst (the Gold Saucer Station, not the Gongada one) and so I can't render it.

Is there a chance to export gldst? Do you have the same problem?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Omzy can I request that you make a new topic under graphical mods for your released files so we can keep this one as a thread under tools.

Omzy

• View Profile
I can't Export gldst (the Gold Saucer Station, not the Gongada one) and so I can't render it.

Is there a chance to export gldst? Do you have the same problem?
Good observation. It seems that's not the only one Palmer misses either. I couldn't export it either and I'm not sure there is an immediate solution other than asking Aali to check and see why that happens.

Also sl1982, I'll make a new topic but it'l have to be a quicky for now until I get some more time on my hands.

Edit: Here is the new topic.
(Whoever reads this post, remember that topic is only for release packs--this is still the thread for the FacePalmer script.)
« Last Edit: 2011-08-14 06:20:34 by Omzy »