Author Topic: Thanks for the welcome!  (Read 5976 times)

Andy_Spacey

Thanks for the welcome!
« on: 2006-11-05 16:38:41 »
Hi guys, I've no doubt this topic won't last very long before being deleted, but ah well...

Just thought I'd say, before I leave, that I've never felt less welcomed into a new community. I do not accuse the entire community for this, at all, but try to understand how this feels for me. I came here and made a post, and, quite literally, every single post I made afterwards was defensive. I was being ridiculed for my opinions on things. After having done a Masters in Entrepreneurial Management and have a dad and brother as solicitors, I feel like I have some knowledge on the subject of copyright and IP.

At not one point did I try and make anyone agree with me, I was defending my previous statements in every single post, and I felt like I was being interrogated. Halkun even said at the end that he's happy with the way Q-Gears is going, and won't change it. I said several times in the thread that I understand other peoples reservsations on the matter. I was saying that I may choose to make my own engine, and I may allow this functionality as a possibility. At not one point did I expect Q-Gears to do it, and I made that point as clear as I could.

when I first found this site I was hoping for a massive new project for myself, and was excited joining a new community on a subject that I was interested in myself. I now feel completely let down, and my desire to make a new engine has depleted. I've no doubt any of you care anyway, as I haven't had a chance to prove myself as being any benefit, but I feel ashamed for even trying. I f***ing hate, with a passion, people that incite arguments over nothing whatsoever, which seems to be commonplace on the internet at the minute. Nobody would talk to me like they have here to my face, yet behind the safety of the anonymity of IP addresses, they become inhuman arguing machines.

Well, enough of my rant, I just feel a bit let down. I geniunely hope Q-Gears goes well, good luck with it. Whether I do eventually make an engine or not is a different matter, but expect no more communication from me.

Mod Edit: Moved to Completely unrelated. Besides, I think it might be helpful to mention that the author of this post talks about this topic
« Last Edit: 2006-11-05 21:27:55 by Alhexx »

Synergy Blades

Re: Thanks for the welcome!
« Reply #1 on: 2006-11-05 16:55:26 »
If you really think there was any argument in there, you're misreading it. That's what we call a 'debate', and I really thought it was quite interesting, I had no idea you were getting upset. You really haven't seen argument unless you've faced the Wrath of Jari (tm) - and you didn't get that, you seemed to be engaging in an interesting discussion, which is what this board is all about, really. It would seem it's just you jumping on the defensive and getting quite emotionally involved.

Anyway, if you change your mind, feel free to post around. We're not judging you.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2006-11-05 17:20:48 »
I think he's taking grievance that I locked his thread in Tech-related.

The issue is this: Tech related is really made for the technical advancement and understanding of Square's software technology. It's not a place to debate intelectual property issues. When we started rehashing the same argument, and detracting from the forum's propose, I locked the thread.

Reading the Tech Related FAQ, you can see this fell into rule three..

3) Topic Degeneration:
Sometimes a topic will leave the technical aspect and start to wonder off topic. If I deem in necessary, I will bump the topic to General if the technical aspects have been covered and nothing new is being added. If it goes horribly off topic I will lock the thread.

Another issue is that the IP debate has been rehashed to death. It has been discussed, on and off, for years and years.

Anyways, that's my side.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-11-05 20:36:03 »
I think Jari just chased him away, that IS his charm..

I really saw a new "regular" in the guy, just by reading his first post in the tech-related.
It's a shame he left because of this though..

i think people shouldn't get so emotionally involved with the int0rn3t..

Jari

« Reply #4 on: 2006-11-05 21:22:53 »
I think Jari just chased him away, that IS his charm..

I am surprised that you are aware of such concept. However, I think that you need to grow a new set of eyes, Mr "yes omg ir gonnas stab you so bads you wich i ditnt stab you!!!", your current one doesn't seem to be working that well.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-11-05 22:24:32 »
Oh my gosh, you are right!
I don't think Jari chased him away, I know so!

Sorry for that, hope your life gets a bit better from this though :)

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-11-05 22:27:16 »
CC for fucks sake, stop sniping at Jari.

Jari

« Reply #7 on: 2006-11-05 22:33:28 »
Awww, don't mind him. He's going through a difficult phase. I believe they call it 'life'. :-P

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-11-05 22:37:25 »
Heh.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #9 on: 2006-11-09 08:55:53 »
Ah, back from my break.
Been a while since I looked at the forums.
How is our warm little community doing these days?

* L. Spiro reads up.

Um, oh yeah, I just realized I have to um, go to…

…um, the dentist!
OHH YES HOW MY TOOTH HURTS.

In fact, all my teeth need to be pulled, and um, I need to have surgery, and um, I’m washing my hair that night and then I have a bunch of things to do after that so I guess I won’t be posting for a while!

It breaks my heart to be away from such a warm community for so long, but you know, have to take care of my duties!
Be back when I’m back!

L. Spiro

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #10 on: 2006-11-10 11:53:18 »
Andy_Spacey: don't take it so seriously. it was only a debate. First half of the mentioned thread seems to me like a normal discussion. Yes, second half started to feel a little aggressive, that's right. But that's not reason to leave forums.

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #11 on: 2006-11-10 16:23:37 »
Forget it, he already deleted his user account.

- Alhexx