Author Topic: Screensaver issues when playing FF7 in Windows7?  (Read 4919 times)

drocpsu

Screensaver issues when playing FF7 in Windows7?
« on: 2009-11-25 21:39:39 »
Has anyone had screensaver issues while playing FF7 in Windows7?  I'm running Windows7 x64 and my screensaver keeps turning on at the normal time when playing.  I have to shake the mouse to turn it off.  For some reason, its not getting disabled when playing a fullscreen game.  Just wondering if anyone has a way to fix this (other than just manually disabling the screensaver ever time I play)?

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Screensaver issues when playing FF7 in Windows7?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-11-26 22:08:14 »
Unless you have a CRT monitor there is no real reason to use a screensaver...

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-11-27 13:58:12 »
i actually have this problem in windows xp! I've never been able to get around it, other than disabling the screensaver before i start FF7.

drocpsu

« Reply #3 on: 2009-11-30 00:10:23 »
i actually have this problem in windows xp! I've never been able to get around it, other than disabling the screensaver before i start FF7.

I played for hours in XP and never had the problem.   It's weird.  I don't even have a screensaver turned on right now, but I have my monitor set to turn off after 10 minutes in my Power Saving options.  For some reason W7 doesn't recognize the gamepad as user activity, so it just shuts off after 10.   :|

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-12-01 20:23:06 »
if i disable Aali's GFX patch the screensaver won't come on, if it is enabled the gamepad doesn't detect as motion and it pops on.

I have no idea what my issue it, Aali can't explain it and i seem to be the only one who has this specific problem in XP. All drivers are current, yada yada. It doesn't bug me anymore, i disable the screensaver before starting and all is well.

Lee

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-12-01 20:32:07 »
May I ask how many people actually still have a screensaver, and why?

They're not really very useful any more (except for certain kinds of monitor, mostly older ones), and they cause problems like this.

Obviously, the fact that people don't need screensavers is no excuse for problems that could be solved by recognising input during a game as activity, but still...

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-12-01 20:57:53 »
eh, i use the screensaver because it's more interesting than looking at my desktop. most of the time i have it setup to display all of the photos i've taken in the last 5 years, so it's like a huge picture frame. After 20 minutes, the monitor just turns itself off though. Just one of those things i just can't let go of, no mater how outdated it seems.

Kinda like this game as well :D

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-12-22 12:34:02 »
contrary to popular belief, LCD monitors can get "burned in" patterns in them as well, though it takes insane amounts of time. I have 2 at home that can testify to this. They both have a burn line from where the screen was run in 4:3 for too long (about a year or so) demarking the edge of the 4:3 picture. It's fairly subtle, but definitely there on both screens, and can really be an eyesore after watching the screen for a longer period of time. Generally, the problem isn't permanent, but image persistence does exist on modern screens.

Plasma screens are also susceptible to burn in much like CRTs. So unless you have your monitor set to turn off after 15 or 20 minutes, a screen saver is still a feasible solution. Don't know where people are getting that Screen savers are completely unnecessary anymore..

Reference: My own personal experience
http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/a/LCDBurnIn.htm
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.html