Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 24175 times)

ye-roon

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #25 on: 2009-09-18 06:52:00 »
Thats why one plays FPS games with a mouse and a keyboard. But thats another story.

I just hope that japanese VA would be a standard. And about the game being split up. They could always make it that you HAVE to install the game on xbox360 so allfiles are on the Hard disk. For Mass Effect you need a Hard disk to play so it wouldnt be the first game.

sexymonkeys

« Reply #26 on: 2009-10-30 15:49:35 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJPeFNbhOs

The dub is amazing. I'm really impressed with it. I was expecting crap, but they even changed the lip synching for the english version.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-11-12 09:16:11 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJPeFNbhOs

The dub is amazing. I'm really impressed with it. I was expecting crap, but they even changed the lip synching for the english version.
they even changed the lip synching for the english version.
The lip synching is awful during the cutscenes still [with graphics like that it's a wonder why they've got cutscenes to begin with]. At 0:45, she's obviously not moving her lips (In japanese in that context, you'd probably say "umu" which barely involves opening your mouth). The fact that the graphics are so realistic makes it all the more noticeable. It looks like an old Bruce Lee movie.
That being said...I agree with you that the actual voice acting is good, and it looks really fluid in the actual game.
Also, it would seem that the mid-battle voices are still in japanese (at least in that video, all this might not necessarily be the case for the final version). At 1:53, she clearly seems to be saying "Kierou" which means disappear. If the final game turns out like this, there'll be some serious inconsistencies with the characters' voices.
« Last Edit: 2009-11-12 09:29:36 by titeguy3 »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #28 on: 2009-11-13 13:36:10 »
I believe the PS3 version will be somewhat compromised. Think about it. PS3 has Blueray while XBOX has DVD. I bet they can't fit FFXIII on a single DVD, and if that is the case then something is bound to be dropped at some discs. Other than that I don't see any reason to think the Xbox version will be compromised. The PS3 cpu may have better performance potential, but, as I see it, developers haven't exactly managed to utilize it much more than what you would expect from a 360. And the gpu on the 360 is even better than the PS3 gpu. That the PS3 got better graphics than 360 is in most cases wish thinking or myths (eye of the beholder?). But in the end the PS3 has more potential 'cause of it's cpu.

I think XII was good concerning voice acting. X was quite horrible in many cases; XII was a huge improvement imo. But agree that many animes, games etch. originally developed with Japanese in mind, doesn't sound as good in English. That would be the case with any dub. The original language - the intended language - always gives the best impression.

And, yeah, subs are no problem.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-11-13 15:44:09 »
And the gpu on the 360 is even better than the PS3 gpu. That the PS3 got better graphics than 360 is in most cases wish thinking or myths (eye of the beholder?). But in the end the PS3 has more potential 'cause of it's cpu.

Most multiplatform games are developed first for the 360 and then ported to PS3. Even when they're released at the same time, it's usually the result of porting to the PS3 almost as quickly as original development on the 360. As a result, the PS3 versions are usually compromised (just look at The Orange Box). On the other hand, PS3-exclusive games like Uncharted, MGS4, and SOCOM Confrontation usually look considerably nicer than anything else on either system.

FFXIII will be the first major game that I know of to be developed first for the PS3 first and then ported to the 360. But I don't think they're likely to completely cut content in order to make the whole game fit on a single DVD for the 360. More likely what will happen is that they'll split it into two discs, and maybe lower the quality of the textures and sound slightly in the 360 version, to get it to fit in less space. There's pretty much no way they'd compromise the PS3 version because of the 360 version.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009-11-13 15:48:27 »
News is out, March 9, 2010 is the NA release. It hints towards the same date for the european release but not confirmed.

Lucleonhart

• View Profile
    • Lucleonhart.de
« Reply #31 on: 2009-11-13 17:14:35 »
Must be same date for EU... cause the video is linked from eu.playstation.com. ^^

Here's a little countdown for you guys: http://www.ff13maps.com

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009-11-13 17:31:21 »

« Reply #33 on: 2009-11-14 03:24:06 »
The song... doesn't really fit the final fantasy theme...

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009-11-14 13:13:30 »
*sigh* I just noticed this. To be fair, the song sounds quite dramatic, the melody might fit with the ending even if the lyrics don't, but how are we to know if we haven't played the game through yet? I'm reserving judgement til then. I quite like the song actually.... *hides*. If you turn it down it kinda sounds like she's singing in Japanese, you can barely make out what she's saying.

Though I agree that the idea of Leona Lewis doesn't really fit with Final Fantasy, the song seems OK. I'm sick of Leona's constant moaning though. Has anyone else noticed that she can't be in a music video where she doesn't stand with her back to the wall and look like she's dying? El rago. This whole partnership is probably the fault of Simon Cowell, that man is the root of all evil. (It's his record label, for those that don't know).

All joking aside, I'm pleased that the game is coming out at the same time here as it is in North America and it looks really good.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-11-14 14:29:35 »
All joking aside, I'm pleased that the game is coming out at the same time here as it is in North America and it looks really good.

I wonder what the reason is for it coming out at the same time on both sides of the Atlantic? Have Square started hating Europeans less or have they started hating Americans more? :-D

The English theme song sounds pretty generic and not FF at all. My money says that Leona Lewis had hardly heard of FF before this; it's hard to take seriously
"she was honored to be partnered with such an iconic and groundbreaking video game series," said Tom Corson, EVP/GM, RCA Music Group

I do wish that Japanese companies wouldn't mess around with the international releases of games, thinking that the baka gaijin will choke on their Big Macs if they see or hear anything that isn't thoroughly Hollywoodised. The Japanese theme song was a little better; still crap, but not as crap. At least it sounds like something that might be from a video game.

BTW, I had a look at a few of the comments on that page ultima espio linked to. Is it just me, or are there now more people who mindlessly defend every change a big company makes and complain about people mindlessly bashing every change than there are who actually mindlessly bash every change?
« Last Edit: 2009-11-14 14:45:42 by Kudistos Megistos »

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009-11-14 14:59:34 »
My guess is someone in Square liked the song, then asked if they use it and Simon Cowell thinks "Final Fantasy = Money" and lets them. :-P

I do like that song though....

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #37 on: 2009-11-15 22:19:37 »
And the gpu on the 360 is even better than the PS3 gpu. That the PS3 got better graphics than 360 is in most cases wish thinking or myths (eye of the beholder?). But in the end the PS3 has more potential 'cause of it's cpu.

Most multiplatform games are developed first for the 360 and then ported to PS3. Even when they're released at the same time, it's usually the result of porting to the PS3 almost as quickly as original development on the 360. As a result, the PS3 versions are usually compromised (just look at The Orange Box). On the other hand, PS3-exclusive games like Uncharted, MGS4, and SOCOM Confrontation usually look considerably nicer than anything else on either system.

FFXIII will be the first major game that I know of to be developed first for the PS3 first and then ported to the 360. But I don't think they're likely to completely cut content in order to make the whole game fit on a single DVD for the 360. More likely what will happen is that they'll split it into two discs, and maybe lower the quality of the textures and sound slightly in the 360 version, to get it to fit in less space. There's pretty much no way they'd compromise the PS3 version because of the 360 version.

Yup, as I said PS3 has more potential in the end 'cause of it's cpu, which also includes better graphics. 360 games are compromised because of it's cpu, not because of it's gpu. I couldn't care less 'bout the PS3 vs Xbox 360 war, but facts are facts.

EDIT: Yeah sorry for being off topic, so I'll add this: Can't say I approve of Leona Lewis either.
« Last Edit: 2009-11-15 22:27:27 by gjoerulv »

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009-11-16 10:16:25 »
WHAT THE HELL?

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/13/listen-to-the-new-final-fantasy-xiii-theme-song-read-about-the-story/

Leona Lewis sings the main theme?? :? :-o
MY EARS....  :cry:

Square Enix now officially on drugs  :?  this song is not Final Fantasy like at all it sounds more like a funeral Lenoa Lewis is not video game theme material!!!

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009-11-16 14:52:43 »
I do wish that Japanese companies wouldn't mess around with the international releases of games, thinking that the baka gaijin will choke on their Big Macs if they see or hear anything that isn't thoroughly Hollywoodised. The Japanese theme song was a little better; still crap, but not as crap. At least it sounds like something that might be from a video game.
ually mindlessly bash every change?

I don't find that a bad thing.  I HATE singing in video games (and movies).  At least this might be an actual enjoyable song this way (would still be better without IMO).

Yup, as I said PS3 has more potential in the end 'cause of it's cpu, which also includes better graphics. 360 games are compromised because of it's cpu, not because of it's gpu. I couldn't care less 'bout the PS3 vs Xbox 360 war, but facts are facts.

Isn't the PS3 seriously underpowered in the GPU department since it was a last minute addition ?  GPU's tend to influence graphics alot more than CPU's do on the PC so I would tend to sway toward the 360's approach.

Notice : I own neither console (though I use a wireless 360 pad for my computer gamepad.  I always liked MS's hardware (as in mouses, keyboards, game controllers; not zune or 360).  They always feel like they're awesome quality (especially compared to Sony's controllers - can't recall how many PS2 controllers I owned broke).

edit : listened to the song.  not great but not awful either.  pretty m'eh.
« Last Edit: 2009-11-16 14:55:01 by Marc »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #41 on: 2009-11-21 17:41:21 »
ually mindlessly bash every change?

I don't find that a bad thing.  I HATE singing in video games (and movies).  At least this might be an actual enjoyable song this way (would still be better without IMO).

Isn't the PS3 seriously underpowered in the GPU department since it was a last minute addition ?  GPU's tend to influence graphics alot more than CPU's do on the PC so I would tend to sway toward the 360's approach.

Notice : I own neither console (though I use a wireless 360 pad for my computer gamepad.  I always liked MS's hardware (as in mouses, keyboards, game controllers; not zune or 360).  They always feel like they're awesome quality (especially compared to Sony's controllers - can't recall how many PS2 controllers I owned broke).

edit : listened to the song.  not great but not awful either.  pretty m'eh.

It's relatively easier to develop games for 360 (could be discussed, but IMO microsoft's development tools are pretty damn user friendly), thus utilizing it's potential is easier for developers. If the graphics are "better" on the PS3 is a subjective matter, but due to the PS3's cpu one could expect better performance eventually. It took developer 2 years to exploit it in a way one could actually start to notice it. However the 360 was a year ahead, meaning many developers already had adapted to the 360 when the PS3 came around. As one could expect this may have slowed down the process of exploiting the PS3's potential.

And, yes, that song is m'eh. I consider myself open minded, but that song is not a FF song. What the hell is square thinking? They're prob aiming for the "new generation" or something.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009-12-18 18:52:38 »
FF13 is teh linear!

Here's an example of the game's map. Famitsu gave them 39/40, taking off one point for the game's linearity; it seems that they were being generous. (I wonder how much Famitsu can be trusted, btw; I believe that they've been accused of giving an easy ride to big companies before).

I miss world maps :cry:
« Last Edit: 2009-12-18 18:54:59 by Kudistos Megistos »

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #43 on: 2009-12-18 19:12:56 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009-12-18 19:24:45 »
I miss world maps :cry:
As do I.
World maps are nice, but I much prefer the Zelda/Earthbound style of open world, where the stuff between is open, yet runs in the same engine and all that jazz. Except bigger than any Zelda game.

« Reply #45 on: 2009-12-19 16:19:44 »
Take what Famitsu say with a pinch of salt, they gave FF12 a 40/40  which is nonsense.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009-12-19 18:06:11 »
Take what Famitsu say with a pinch of salt, they gave FF12 a 40/40  which is nonsense.

Sou da na :-D

I think that there are some good reasons why reviewers might like FF12 more than fans (reviewers often praise innovation even when it doesn't work out so well), but rating FF12 as the best FF game ever is just silly..

Also, they've given out half of their 40/40 scores in the past two years, and their opinions don't seem to match up with those of their fans.

EDIT:

It seems that 2ch hates it (possibility of some NSFW ads). Mind you, that's not surprising :-P
« Last Edit: 2009-12-19 18:09:37 by Kudistos Megistos »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009-12-19 21:46:18 »
The only one on that list I agree with is Ocarina of Time

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009-12-19 22:00:53 »
And OoT is the only one that the fans voted as one of the top ten...

I can't really agree with any of the games on the list; then again, I haven't played most of them. Incidentally, I played the Bayonetta demo today; besides the main character and a few if the controller functions, the game is completely indistinguishable from Devil May Cry. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't good :-P

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #49 on: 2009-12-21 14:49:47 »
Very true ye-roon. If you ever watch adult swim, they use the same cast of voice-actors to dub every anime series they get.

One main reason I refuse to watch dubbed anime anymore. funimation has about 10 VAs that they keep recycling over and over.

Dubbing/subbing is a trade-off. You'll either get English VAs that aren't acting appropriately to the context and saying lines with no feeling in them (Star Ocean PSP remakes) or spoken completely unnaturally (Cloud from Dissidia) or sound horrible (Squall from Dissidia), or you'll get Jap VAs that treat EVERY line as if it's the last thing they'll ever say with too much emotion (Jap TotA which I could go off on how the English version of this is probably the best VAed game ever with one exception).

I also just now listened to the song. That's terrible! Don't give me a UK pop song!! Who wrote that garbage?! There's no way that can make sense! I was going to give FFXIII a chance, but I might not after hearing that.
The last FF song that I thought fit the mood was Eyes on Me. The English version of Melodies of Life was fantastic too, but it was so different from the Jap version....

Oh yeah, and I liked XII. It's not and never will be my favorite, but it has its own ups and downs to it. I think all the haters didn't like it because it wasn't anything like the first 10 installments.