Author Topic: Stupid question for Halkun  (Read 5795 times)

paladin181

• View Profile
Stupid question for Halkun
« on: 2009-12-22 05:01:10 »
I've noticed you posting in some threads "encouraging" people with what seems to be.. I don't know a forceful hand to stay close to the original items when doing their own overhaul work. Not that they seem to mind, But let's say I wanted to add something else to this community... It's been ages since I have, but lets say i decide to model or retex something, is that a rule that you're actually trying to enforce on people in a community of modifications, or is it simply a personal preference that you're tossing around? I'd like to know, and I'm sorry if this comes off as crass... I thought about it for a while and I decided not to beat around the bush with delicacy on this one, as I'd just like an answer, when next you or anyone with the answer to this question pokes their head in. :D

I do remember when Modding was about creativity... Is it still or is there someone trying to wrench the creativity and freedom out of a creative process?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid question for Halkun
« Reply #1 on: 2009-12-22 11:15:19 »
I think what he meant by original is a persons own work and not ported from another game.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-12-22 11:36:26 »
the only rule about that is to not share copyrighted content, he does like to say he likes the game close to as original as possible. But it's not against the rules unless you didnt make it.

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-12-22 12:11:34 »
Thanks for clarifying. I just didn't want to go through the trouble of making things again if there was going to be someone heavy handing my project to keep it "close to the original". After all, if the original work was so fantastic, why is there SO much work being done to improve upon or change what's there?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-12-22 19:13:59 »
if the original work was so fantastic, why is there SO much work being done to improve upon or change what's there?

because as wonderful as it is, its getting dated, and we're trying to give it a little jolt while staying true to the original fantastic-ness!

:-D

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-12-22 19:20:35 »
if the original work was so fantastic, why is there SO much work being done to improve upon or change what's there?

because as wonderful as it is, its getting dated, and we're trying to give it a little jolt while staying true to the original fantastic-ness!

:-D

Well said

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-12-23 01:47:53 »
Indeed :-D

The vast majority of the work here is to do things that the original developers couldn't do because of technological limitations.

Of course, there is other stuff getting done too, but that's because, good as FF7 is, it's not perfect.

I think the main point behind the forums over the past couple of years has been to make the game as close to perfect as possible for each player (and naturally, each player will have a different idea of perfect, so we provide alternatives and ways to tweak the mods to one's own liking).

I suppose you could flip the argument on its head and say that the original was so fantastic that it's the only game with which there's any point in doing this; all the others would be too much work (but I'm sure someone would disagree with that) :-P
« Last Edit: 2009-12-26 05:04:21 by Kudistos Megistos »

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-12-24 02:07:20 »

I suppose you could say flip the argument on its head and say that the original was so fantastic that it's the only game with which there's any point in doing this; all the others would be too much work (but I'm sure someone would disagree with that) :-P
I could actually seeing them remaking FF7 every time they release a new PS system - and everyone running out and buying the newest remake. Or maybe that would just be me.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-12-24 02:14:59 »
And me.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 2009-12-26 04:59:20 »
I didn't see this thread.. Here's my answer.

In a perfect world, I would like to see FF7 "improved" however what that means is up to individual interpretation. The only real steadfast rule is ripping from other sources is a no-no. You need to create your own work.

Now, personally, when people add Advent children characters to FF7, or shoehorn in motorbikes as opposed to chocobos, it just rubs me the wrong way. To me, it cheapens the whole game at it starts to look a bit ghetto. If I was the creator of the work, and watch as people bend or break what I originally created, it would kind of rub me the wrong way too. "Upgrading" kind of shows a care for the original, underlying source material. "Hardtype" mods tend to give an impression that somehow you think the original work is "flawed" and have taken upon yourself to "fix" it.

That's why I lean heavily on treating the original source with respect. It's.... respectful :)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-12-26 16:38:05 »
What is a Hardtype mod if you dont mind me asking?

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #11 on: 2009-12-26 17:00:22 »
It's a mod that is supposed to make the game harder to beat.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-12-26 23:10:05 »
I agree with Halkun, although i have to admit, if we could implement an "outfit" system (outside of switching out the battle.lgp) it'd be pretty awesome, i myself do enjoy the original outfits over the AC ones though (i also like the original buster sword)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 2009-12-28 03:28:50 »
"Hardtype" mods tend to give an impression that somehow you think the original work is "flawed" and have taken upon yourself to "fix" it.

Maybe that's because... well, in hindsight... the original really is flawed?

*Equip: Flame Shiield, +2 Vit / +4 Stamina

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #14 on: 2009-12-28 09:49:33 »
One mod I personally find awesome would be adding support for single meshed 3D models. Now that's an improvement.