Author Topic: Opinion on Final Fantasy Remake?  (Read 7029 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Opinion on Final Fantasy Remake?
« on: 2010-03-10 19:28:48 »
Ok, so as far as I've heard, square enix is trying to plan the FF7 remake to not take more then a year. The newest FFgame took 3 years. Seriously!? But it's the whole profit margin rather then fan satisfaction deal.

Whats your opinion of the situation?

Me personally, I wish there was less copyright stuff to worry about so that a group of fans could get together and make their own remake. Everybody shares resources and what not. Would be neat to see considering all the neat things fans can do and think of.

Anyways I'm not saying we should (In fact saying exnay except that it would be cool to see), just looking for alternative ideas for what square should do on it.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on Final Fantasy Remake?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-10 19:32:38 »
not sure where you heard those plans, but i dont really care for square's work too much nemore. 12, 13, those ff12 sequels... dirge of cerberus... none of them were too hot. I admit i enjoyed dissidia and crisis core, but they were more along the lines of side projects rather than full blown productions... i'd rather the ingenuity and quality go to their main works rather than their spinoffs. The thing is, ff7 etc wony hold them above water forever.

Besides, were are effectively doing our own remake... just very slowly. Thats what happens when theres only a handful of artists working very parttime. :P

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-10 19:40:52 »
I've got to agree with Timu on this, I would much MUCH rather a fanmade remake than one by SE.  Their track record has dwindled a lot lately.

I've been posting screenshots on imageboards of all the progress that's been made here to try and gather new members here to help, but it hasn't really seemed to have had any effect.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-10 20:20:05 »
meh, better off doing it yourself! so... GET TO WORK OBESEBEAR!

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-10 20:37:24 »
meh, better off doing it yourself! so... GET TO WORK OBESEBEAR!
I have so many unfinished projects I could fill a warehouse.

Before Crisis Translation subbed onto the videos.
Higher res models (field, battle, wm, etc)
Fix grammar and translation throughout the game
Upgrading FMV's.

Will I ever finish any of them?  Unlikely  ;)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-10 20:44:11 »
ooo i know not of these, explain the higher res models? you modding the originals or making noo ones? as to fmvs... leave that to me :3

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-10 20:50:56 »
ooo i know not of these, explain the higher res models? you modding the originals or making noo ones? as to fmvs... leave that to me :3

Before Crisis Translation I downloaded all the Before Crisis videos from nicovideo.jp and will, eventually, sub all of the translation over the dialog boxes.  There's a thread about it somewhere around here.
Higher res models is the ripping of other games models and importing them in.  Not to be discussed here  :(
Fixing the grammar and translation I will be basically using what Seifer has done already, just putting it in game (titeguy3 may have already done this though...)
FMVs  Are you talking about recreating them with the scenes and characters you are creating?  I am simply going to take the PSX versions and upscale them (with a good filter hopefully), so they don't look so horrible in higher res.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-03-10 20:56:31 »
I do intend to remake them with our background and character work. Characters will be modified so they use armatures with mesh deformation, for nicer anims, as well as fully animated faces, or so i'd like, but thats far away. As to hte high rez models... naughty naughty. got a site you work on it? pm me :P.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-03-10 21:37:10 »
PM sent.

I'll keep working on the FMV's because it will no doubt take over a year for the first FMV to be created from scratch

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-03-10 21:52:04 »
good choice! indeed. I think for some weird reason, SL wants me to do the opening one first @.@. so that'll involved remaking all of the bombing mission backgrounds, as well as those in sector 8, and the HQ. so yea... wait a bit :P

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-03-11 01:11:27 »
I said nothing of the sort. I want you to work on the backgrounds for midgar. Start at the beginning of the game and work onwards. Just because when you are done midgar you can make a new fmv is irrelevant.  :P

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-03-11 01:49:19 »
oops... well i'll probably do it anyways.

Cloud187

• View Profile
    • alt avatar
« Reply #12 on: 2010-03-12 04:05:56 »
meh remakes... enix just does not cut it nowadays i mean the graphics are win but the stories and gameplay just aint the same FF6 7 8 9 were really good games things started going down hill around 10 especially 10 2 then japanese fans just took over the battle system style and square slowly started dieing away from the classic and into their new fan base IMO.

I think the classics are best a FF7 remake on the ps3 would definitly score IMO and i look forward to a remake but they have no plans for it for a while if it ever even happens that is they said they would rather just make more cameos like crisis core. And now that they are leaking into the word of MMO's again i doubt we will see any remake any time soon unless they are secretly planning something and just want to keep their mouth shut.

I never really doubt their potential though they make decent games even more so graphically and they are extremely good at keeping their mouth shut always have been always will be its due to their rival back in the day with dragon quest they had to keep their lips sealed and could not let things leak out and they have kept it strong for the years no one even had a clue FF14 was going to be announced at E3 along with the ff7 tech demo so we will see. They do a good job of hiding things it wouldnt be surprise one day if they just slapped us in the face with a ff7 remake right out left field like usual.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-03-20 01:10:02 »
I think 13 is the best "newer" FF game so far. I didn't much care for 9, and 10 and 10-2 I felt it was going downhill, 12s character designs felt like they tried to emulate a mix of old english/western styles and designs but they failed at that plus most of them seemed like variations of the same chars. And the combat didn't really feel like an FF.

FF13 - despite its linearity, is really the only recent FF that has characters that interest me. Aside from Vanille - half the time i wish i could pop in the game to punch her in the face. Plus the Battle theme is pretty cool, its not up to par with a lot of uematsu's works but i still find it sounds like a pretty decent battle theme, i like it as much as i like VIII's.

With the battle system - i don't particularly love that you can only control one at a time but i do like the mechanics - it feels like a trip back to what VII made with a twist (albeit a big one) - I do enjoy it.

I also don't feel like the english voiced characters are stupid like the others (again, aside from vanille), especially Lightning - but maybe that's because she's alot like a girl version of cloud (secret brother and sister maybe? The smell of crossover surrounds me  :-o)

I blame the Enix part of Square-enix for squares lower quality stories nowadays. All the psx square games were good when they were called SquareSOFT - and all of Enix's Star Ocean games were just crappy copy's with interesting ideas and concepts that weren't implemented good - and then by ps2 they combined - and i guess Squares Amazing-ness mixed with Enix's horrendous-ness made them just "Mediocre" - plus SquareSoft sounds cooler then Square-Enix

EDIT: Whoops, i just realized this is horribly off topic, ahem.

On topic, i think the only way a remake would work (for me, at least) is if they offer you two ways to play when you start. New and Classic - new would be the revamped designs for characters, maybe a real time or crisis core-esqe battle system, and something that caters more to new players and keeps it interesting - Classic would make the characters designs the originals - maybe just with some more realistic features but keep everything that made the original designs good, and have the same, unaltered ATB battle system as the original PSX/PC game - and maybe add a little more side quests and things unrelated to the story to keep it fresh, but don't touch what makes the game what it is.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-20 01:31:08 by bloodshot »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-03-20 04:02:56 »
Classic would make the characters designs the originals - maybe just with some more realistic features but keep everything that made the original designs good, and have the same, unaltered ATB battle system as the original PSX/PC game

see

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?board=15.0

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-03-21 00:16:38 »
I think they're saving remaking FF7 for a rainy day, when their franchise needs a bit of a boost which would be sooner or later.  :-\

I reckon we'd do a better job ourselves though :lol:

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-03-21 00:28:23 »
.... I thought this debate had been settled like a thousand times already on this forum.

Either way, no one cares. Squeenix is screwing their games over so bad now anyway. It wouldn't matter if they remade it, because it would be shit if they did.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-03-21 00:40:28 »
.... I thought this debate had been settled like a thousand times already on this forum.

Either way, no one cares. Squeenix is screwing their games over so bad now anyway. It wouldn't matter if they remade it, because it would be sh*t if they did.
I don't think so, their remakes have been pretty good (even if it's really been TOSE handling them), as have the Kingdom Hearts games. And complain about the gameplay and stories in recent games all you want, they're absolutely gorgeous. Presumably they'd keep FF7's gameplay and story intact if they remade it.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-03-21 01:16:24 »
I don't think so, their remakes have been pretty good (even if it's really been TOSE handling them), as have the Kingdom Hearts games. And complain about the gameplay and stories in recent games all you want, they're absolutely gorgeous. Presumably they'd keep FF7's gameplay and story intact if they remade it.
The "remakes", for the most part, aren't remakes but ports. With updated translations, and a few added dungeons... And aside from that, they haven't even touched the 3-d games.  They're afraid to because they limit themselves on world maps now, because it would take too much time to make it look good. Which means no real traveling, you'd just be going in a marathon effect like you have been since X. You don't get to go back in X most of them time until the end of the game. At which point there isn't much you can't one shot aside from super-bosses and such... Really, unless they could make an exact copy of VII minus the bugs/glitches, and with updated graphics/ maybe battle engine it really probably won't be worth it. And if they DO remake it, it will likely be FF XIII in a different setting with a different plot. And while I have heard XIII is better than it was expected from SOME people, I have also heard it was worse than some people expected... so I'm not hoping on a remake any time soon. I'd rather the remake be done by fans.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-04-01 00:44:22 »
OK, so we all are pretty much agreeing that a remake by fans is what is needed.

Thing is, if fans did try to do a remake, I presume SE would shut it down. They shut down a few other projects that were just pixalated AU stories and such. That's the unfortunant bit of it.

I'd almost assume it'd be better to leave the world building up to a company like SE and us fans would do the marathon style gameplay just cause of our lack of resources....

Perhaps though, the best thought is getting the game updated so that it has better, graphics. Though maybe not the best just cause of fanresources versus SE's etc. Same with music, movies, and all that. We probably should set it up just like the original FF7 games, where the background could be art pieces, invisible walls, activators, etc. in their proper places to make the background affect player etc. That way we don't have to do entire game models 3d from scratch. Though we wouldn't be able to use something like Unreal Engine if we do this.

Would we have to come up with our own game engine?

Oh, and we should consider moddability and upgradability to it. Just so once we send out some sort of base version, we and others who get interested once playing, could fix bugs, add new content, do overhauls, etc.

Side question; would you use old rumors about FF7 and include them in the fanremake? Cheese weapons, aerith's revival, cave in ancient forest, letters to wife and daughter quest, etc. Also things from the earlier SE scripts, like Nanaki fighting his clones?