Author Topic: Why not to buy from ATI  (Read 7327 times)

kiteswitch

Why not to buy from ATI
« on: 2010-10-21 11:31:29 »
Some of you may be familiar with my opengl problems with aali's custom drivers. Well I contacted powercolor, the manufacturer of my card, and I got a reply this morning. I thought I would share it with you for laughs and wisdom.

Quote from: powercolor
Dear xxxxx,

I am really sorry about this, we have reported this to ATI for several times; however, it seems it is their policy about OpenGL, so they will not release any driver for it. Sorry about this.

Best Regards,
xxxxx

Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:56 AM
To: Support
Subject: OpenGL
Importance: High

----------------------------------
RegardingToG [email protected]
Products Name(Part Number)G PowerColor HD3850 512MB GDDR3
Contact Name:xxxxx
Phone Number: xxxxx
Address:
E-mail: xxxxx
Subject : OpenGL
Description: Hello, I am contacting you in hopes that I get further than I would by going to the ATI forum only to simply be ignored. I am using the latest hotfix drivers for my graphics card and I am having a lot of problems supporting OpenGL games. Such games like; Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic, and Aali''s Custom Drivers for Final Fantasy VII (PC). At various points I get similar crash reports and it is really getting on my nerves. To some degree I assume that older OpenGL versions are simply no longer supported as the hardware technology and opengl advances to a point that older hardware and software cannot be supported anymore. But I should not be having these problems with Aali''s Custom Drivers (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10191.msg151944#new) and I am starting to believe that sabotage is at work. I realize you do not have anything to do with the hotfix drivers, but do you have any help to offer, maybe you can put in a word to ATI''s driver team, or can point me in the right direction? I am fairly certain that if I go to ATI''s forum that I will simply be ignored and I am not looking forward to asking for their assistance. I am fairly certain they are already aware of their lack of support for OpenGL and simply do not want to do anything about it being as this is a fairly old issue, as old as Neverwinter Nights. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
TIME: 2010/10/20 上午 01:56:11

If anyone was ever looking for a reason not to buy from ATI, here you go. :x
I went to the AMD forums and talked to spyre, got a very different response.

Quote from: spyre

User error as far as I am concerned.  There are plenty of people using OpenGL on 3xxx AGP boards not that AGP is even an official product of ATI/AMD anyway.

What the heck is a user error?
This guy must think me an idiot. ???
Maybe I should just buy an xbox360. :|

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Why not to buy from ATI
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-21 16:11:43 »
So, are you shilling for Nvidia or is this a really trollish way of getting special help and attention from ATI fanboys?

kiteswitch

« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-21 18:02:43 »
What are you talking about? ???
What special help are you offering?  :o
I had asked for help on my problem from Aali before I contacted powercolor and ATI. Nobody is holding your hand forcing you to click and respond to every post in the completely unrelated category of this forum. I think the title of this thread is stated plainly enough. There are other ways to get your post count up without being a jackass to the obviously frustrated.

But to answer your question ...
Quote from: kiteswitch
Maybe I should just buy an xbox360.
... that said it all. I kind of wish they would both go out of business, thus I had previously insinuated that perhaps I should go buy a console instead of upgrading my PC when the time comes to do so.
Honestly. And you call me a troll?  ???
Your logic is flawed, and your trolling skills are equally as flawed regardless of your three thousand two hundred and some odd post count. ::)
« Last Edit: 2010-10-21 18:05:31 by kiteswitch »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-21 21:05:03 »
i had an new 3xxx series AGP card in my former desktop, and it caused me nothing but hassles even with newer games. Drivers would randomly corrupt, i would reinstall and all would be good....for the time. Random blue screens and constant artifacting and color-errors are a small sample of what the card gave me.

The cards are actually PCI-e cards, but there is some sort of pass-through that allows them to function on AGP systems...kinda. It seemed every time i upgraded my hot fix drivers, the card would become even more unstable and i ended up using the ANCIENT ATI Omega drivers, since they offered the most stability for my setup.

I was also able to play FF7 just fine with my ATI card, along with Aali's driver. I'd give the old Omega drivers a shot. The hotfix drivers are just hacks of real drivers that ATI puts out so 3rd party users have something to try.

I am still a fan of ATI though, just not those particular half-breed cards. It was poor implementation and even poorly supported. If nothing else, hop on ebay and grab the last HIS NVIDIA card that was produced. Its a solid card for being al old as it is, and if your rocking AGP still you can't really complain. The bus is wayyyyy outdated at this point, and your almost better putting your money towards an entirely new computer.

lee
« Last Edit: 2010-10-21 21:06:53 by pyrozen »

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-21 22:16:59 »
I just got some thing in the mail saying the NVIDIA card I had in my computer was the same kind recently involved in a lawsuit. That NVIDIA had installed some cards that created problems, and I could be entitled to something or other.

My laptop's fine, so I didn't care and I tossed the letter. But, yeah... I'm sure that's somehow applicable to this thread.

Hm, probably this

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-21 22:25:51 »
Owned quite a few ATI card over the years (and a few NVIDIA too) and they both ran ff7 (and other games) very well.

I think Pyrozen is right, its probably time to ditch ath AGP mobo ... its been at least 5 years since anything decent was produced for it.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-21 23:22:47 »
What are you talking about? ???
What special help are you offering?  :o
I had asked for help on my problem from Aali before I contacted powercolor and ATI. Nobody is holding your hand forcing you to click and respond to every post in the completely unrelated category of this forum. I think the title of this thread is stated plainly enough. There are other ways to get your post count up without being a jackass to the obviously frustrated.

But to answer your question ...
Quote from: kiteswitch
Maybe I should just buy an xbox360.
... that said it all. I kind of wish they would both go out of business, thus I had previously insinuated that perhaps I should go buy a console instead of upgrading my PC when the time comes to do so.
Honestly. And you call me a troll?  ???
Your logic is flawed, and your trolling skills are equally as flawed regardless of your three thousand two hundred and some odd post count. ::)

Wait, I'M trolling? You're the one who's telling people not to buy from ATI and that you wish they would go out of business just because you had a problem running an ancient game with an ancient card. A problem which, as that user on the ATI forums suggested, is probably at your end, or because of some obscure old hardware combination that no-one wants to support any more.

By the way, you're not going to get much help by acting the way you're acting. Your letter to powercolor was very immature and aggressive and you probably got the brush-off because they didn't want to deal with someone like you. Re-read your email and ask yourself whether you'd want to spend your time helping someone who wrote something like that. I don't know exactly what you posted at the ATI forums, but I'll bet it was something equally likely to make people see you as a whineyass bitch who's just whining and bitching.

Perhaps you might have got more help if you'd shown a little politeness and humility when asking your questions instead of acting like an angry 13-year-old.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-10-22 14:50:32 »
Are we really about to start this again, guys?

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-10-22 14:58:12 »
Again?  Has it happened before?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-10-22 16:18:27 »
Again?  Has it happened before?

I second this question. This is the first time I've had a fight with this bloke (the other thread was spillover because he was so butthurt about this one) and it's the first time we've had an argument like this about graphics cards. It feels like I'm on /g/.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-10-22 16:20:03 »
This = arguing over absolutely nothing.  Baiting/trolling/whatevs.   No thank you preeze.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-10-22 16:23:53 »
This = arguing over absolutely nothing.  Baiting/trolling/whatevs.   No thank you preeze.

Ah, I see. Yes, we've had a few* incidents of people arguing over nothing on these forums.

*over 9000

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #12 on: 2010-10-22 18:13:21 »
Notice they all seem to call out KM? Lol.

Totally off-topic as it is, oh well.  :-\