Author Topic: [FF7]Need help with Hardware Acceleration  (Read 2983 times)

Messenger-Z

[FF7]Need help with Hardware Acceleration
« on: 2003-04-12 17:38:01 »
Hi all, I just got my ff7 pc version up and running yesterday. However, I found that if my d3d acceleration for FF7 is enabled, whenever the game plays a FMV sequence it crashes into black screen. At first I could use alt+tab to switch back to windows and terminate the program, but if I do not act quickly enough, the computer will soon freeze up. The other interesting thing is, if I turn on FSAA (no matter 2x or 4x), the movie doesn't go into black screen, instead, it keeps flashing and turn into some kind of weird colors and background, and sometimes also crashes. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I'm currently using Asus v7700 (Geforce 2 GTS), Detonator 43.45, Win 98 SE, TNT patch applied, old ff7.exe. Tried both Nvidia setting on with TNT or simply disabled, the result is the same.

BTW, I can play in software rendering with no problems, but I just can't endure the graphic and speed. If any person has some ways to improve this, I would be much apperciated. Thx a lot! :)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #1 on: 2003-04-12 20:43:23 »
Do not run the game with the TNT patch on using the old FF7.exe.  Use the new one or the game will crash.

Messenger-Z

« Reply #2 on: 2003-04-12 21:04:49 »
I did try to run the game with both patched config.exe and ff7.exe, but the situation was exactly the same. Then I took the chance from some other people because they got it to work by using the patched config.exe and the old ff7.exe, but it seems not working, either. :(

Any other suggestions?

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #3 on: 2003-04-12 22:01:17 »
nope.

It should work....

by using the ff7config.exe from the patch, and using the FF7.exe from the game.

Don't check anything inside the FF7config.exe program....the "only thing" you should touch is the selecting of Hardwaremode...and your sound/midi settings.

All the Tests should say PASS. if one says ---- or even worse, FAIL....which will only happen if your using real old drivers, or if you disabled the 8bit palletization using Rivatuner...then, your doing it wrong.

----------------------IN case your wondering:

There are two methods to get Hardware mode to work

The old way:
The 8 bit palletization, must be disabled. In other words, the 8 bit pallet test must say FAIL before you check the Nvidia options. After you select the Nvidia options, it will change to ----. This is the only time you can use the FF7.exe from the patch. You'll need Rivatuner to use this older method....It's the only program (that I know of) that will disable the 8 bit palletization inside the Nvidia's Drivers. After doing that, you select your hardware mode, and the Nvidia options....that TNT/Riva check box thing.

The new way (thanx to nvidia fixing the 8bit pallet inside their Detonator Drivers) is to use the FF7config from the patch, select the hardware mode, and leave the Nvidia options alone....the 8 bit pallet must say Pass, not ----. If it says ----, it's going to crash.

http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=2054

http://www.nvworld.ru/

Mofokubik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-04-13 00:09:44 »
it should still run if 8bit failed...
it used to do that for me allll the time.....

and btw, there are more patches out there, just gotta look...

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2003-04-13 10:32:27 »
Try using some older detonator drivers. I've had the best luck with FF7 with my geforce2 mx/400 while using the 29.42 detonator drivers. The 40.72 drivers also work decently (for me, at least). You may find them at Guru3d. For some odd reason my geforce2 has had strange problems with very new and very old detonator drivers. At leat in FF7, that is.

I may also add that installing the Duck Truemotion codec might help your fmv troubles. You can get it here.

But if that doesn't help at all, then I guess my aid is useless  :weep:

Messenger-Z

« Reply #6 on: 2003-04-13 11:43:41 »
I changed my driver back to 40.72, and IT WORKED WONDER! No more flashing movies and black screens! The only set back is probably the good and old antialiasing problem (greeny tiles). 43.45 handles this perfectly. Any way, I am going to experiment with some other detonator versions, see if I can find a perfect one that works with both FSAA and FMV sequence.

Love y'all! :)

Messenger-Z

« Reply #7 on: 2003-04-13 12:05:15 »
I guess I'm a gosh darn lucky guy.

43.03 is the one all FSAA people should look for! It works without any background glitch or movie problem on my machine.

BTW, did anyone notice that the FSAA method in the newer Nvidia driver set (43.XX) is quite different from the older one? I set FSAA setting to 4x in both 43.03 and 40.72, and the instance I got into the game menu, even the font looked different. Perhaps Nvidia finally introduced 3dfx FSAA technology into their drivers. :P