Author Topic: Help at Cosmo Canyon in FF7  (Read 6888 times)

LordGeezer

Help at Cosmo Canyon in FF7
« on: 2003-06-28 18:46:56 »
I'm about fed up.  Okay, I'm really fed up =)

I'm stuck at Cosmo Canyon as a result of the game hanging.  I'm sure you've heard of the bug before, movie plays, comes back out, and the game hangs.  I can exit out of the game normally, everything is functioning normally.  The game just doesn't continue.  I sat and watched Aeris blink for about 10 minutes once, just hoping it'd start to work.

I've tried to run it on 3 different comps thus far, two XP, one 95(though I think the 95 one was about to blow up from the strain, it is OLD), I've tried a dozen combinations of graphics modes and other settings, so far, not a dang thing has worked.  So, to the point:

Anyone willing to play through that segment for me, or suggest some fix that hasn't been suggested on this forums or on Eidos?  I've tried every fix I've seen so far.

Basic system specs:

Windows XP Professional
1.8 ghz
512 mb ram
nVIDIA GeForce 2 64mb
DirectX 9

I think that's all that's really relevant to the bug.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2003-06-28 19:32:16 »
Have you tried Compatibility Mode?

LordGeezer

« Reply #2 on: 2003-06-28 20:11:28 »
Yes, 95 & 98.  Heck, I even tried 2000 on a whim(didn't think it'd work, but it's one of those things).

Maybe I should just buy the game again and see if I just was one of the lucky 1 in 10000 with a defective CD.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-06-28 20:27:43 »
hehe... I'm sure it's your computer.

And I'm that if you post your save game here someone will get you past the infamous Cosmo Canyon bit. I don't have FFVII at the moment so I can't help you out.

LordGeezer

« Reply #4 on: 2003-06-28 21:14:09 »
Yeah, it probably is, but it's more fun to blame it on the CD, and after spending WAY too much time trying to fix it, I'm ready to blame the CD even more =)

Well here's the savegame in handy zip format(since 64 kilobytes is so HUGE):
http://www.geocities.com/lordgeezer.geo/save.html

That should do it.  Geocities doesn't allow linking, so just click on the link on the page.  If anyone is willing to do it, just email me back the game at [email protected] when you're done.

Deamon

• View Profile
not your CD
« Reply #5 on: 2003-06-30 03:17:51 »
It's not your CD's fault.  I have a similar but slightly more powerful CPU also running in XP and I get the same crash, my freind uses the same CDs on his comp and it works.  I figured that it was XP's darn fault, seeing as how some of the movies aren't even recognized as readable.  There is some "Windows Bug Fixer" that screws it all up; I can't remember what it was called now... It has been a while since I messed w\it.  I almost died when I spent so much time w\Eidos and their communist freinds trying in vain to fix FF7!

LordGeezer

« Reply #6 on: 2003-06-30 03:31:01 »
Guess I'll just keep bugging people then.  You know what they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, or at least gets someone willing to take ten minutes and help out someone not even regular to this forum =)

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2003-06-30 12:29:23 »
Got my FFVII CD's back so I'll advance you on the game. I'll do it sometime later today, I'm feeling slightly hungover at the moment.

LordGeezer

« Reply #8 on: 2003-06-30 12:47:41 »
lol, k. Thanks.  I won't be able to play till later anyway.  Granted, it's not due to being hungover, but working in summer school is a lot the same.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #9 on: 2003-06-30 14:39:48 »
640x480 "quarter screen" mode sometimes works....

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17325

----
aka: Rengar

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2003-06-30 15:47:30 »
Have got you past the bit in Bugenhangen's Laboratry. This is where it hung right?

You can get your new save game here:

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/~rylander/stuff/save00.ff7

Hope this has helped,

- Jedimark

LordGeezer

« Reply #11 on: 2003-07-01 01:42:14 »
Yeah, that was it, thanks.

Yes, I tried Quarter Screen, I tried a whole lotta screens ;)

sammich

« Reply #12 on: 2003-07-14 04:34:18 »
I've been having the exact same problem.  The Eidos Interactive website had some suggestions, but none of those worked for me.  If you'd be willing to get me past that point, it would be much appreciated.

I uploaded my save file to http://sammich.hypermart.net/save00.ff7

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2003-07-14 05:39:43 »
Ok I think I did what you needed, nothing more. I got you past the boogenhagen demonstration. Hope that's it. The savegame in that file which has cait sith and barret is the one you need. Here it is. And you are welcome. Thank you for visiting.

sammich

« Reply #14 on: 2003-07-15 00:22:29 »
Thanks so much.

I had tried using a save someone else had from right beyond that point then editing my characters to match my old characters, but that didn't work too well.

Edit: Unfortunately I think you uploaded the wrong file.  The file you uploaded was on Mt. Corel.

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2003-07-15 00:28:58 »
Oh, I am SUCH an idiot! I just got confused, that's all. Wow I feel really dumb now, considering I just watched Dumb and Dumber.

Try the same link again. It's the correct file.

I saved your file as save03.ff7 in my saves folder. That would mean that it would be in save slot 4. So when I exited, being the moron I am, I grabbed save04.ff7, and that is why you got the mt. corel save  :P

Sorry about that.