Author Topic: The Great FF7 FAQ (now outdated)  (Read 368224 times)

GrapeSmuggler

The Great FF7 FAQ (read before posting for FF7 support!)
« Reply #125 on: 2005-08-07 06:10:12 »
ok, i did all of your steps and it seems to crash randomly sometimes just when im running along... also, last time i played this game it crashed for omnislash, so does anyone have a save file w/ omnislash so i can try it out and make sure it doesnt happen again :)

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2005-08-07 06:15:56 »
Quote from: GrapeSmuggler
ok, i did all of your steps and it seems to crash randomly sometimes just when im running along... also, last time i played this game it crashed for omnislash, so does anyone have a save file w/ omnislash so i can try it out and make sure it doesnt happen again :)

Yeah, unfortunately my steps aren't fool proof. I guess I shouldn't say I'm 100% crash free, I'm more around 98% crash free. I don't have Omnislash yet, but Cids Hyper Jump limit break would make my game crash as well... I just kept messing with the compatibility settings for the ff7.exe and it would usually solve the problem.

I hope you've atleast resolved some issues with the mini-guide I wrote up though :)

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2005-08-07 08:53:32 »
Quote from: dziugo
Tried to switch memory modules? :P

The exact configuration... same OS (i presume)... Do you have identical FF7-copies? Tried to install his copy on your PC already?

Yeah, he doesnt have it, so I let him borrow mine.

ill see if it makes a difference with the memory....

GrapeSmuggler

« Reply #128 on: 2005-08-07 21:55:40 »
This is strange, every time I quit out of FF7 and then try to run it again, it doesnt boot, I have to restart my computer just to start the game up again.. any suggestions?  Oh and also when i used rivatuner, under the textures tab, there isnt anythin to check/uncheck 8 bit.. i have a g-force 6600 if that has anythin to do with it

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #129 on: 2005-08-07 21:59:29 »
This is strange, every time I quit out of FF7 and then try to run it again, it doesnt boot, I have to restart my computer just to start the game up again.. any suggestions?

Check the Task Manager's process list for FF7.exe and kill it.

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2005-08-07 22:17:15 »
Quote from: Aaron
This is strange, every time I quit out of FF7 and then try to run it again, it doesnt boot, I have to restart my computer just to start the game up again.. any suggestions?

Check the Task Manager's process list for FF7.exe and kill it.

Yep, the same thing happens to me. Can be very annoying after a while as well...

hihi2005

« Reply #131 on: 2005-08-08 07:35:49 »
hi everyone...

got some problem here ......
after i patched my ff7 wif 1.02 all the fmv seems to be not running....
means that each time when there is a fmv , my monitor juz showing black screen... and freeze.... need to press alt+f4 to close it....

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #132 on: 2005-08-08 08:35:52 »
You didn't install the TrueMotion2 codec... correctly...

hihi2005

« Reply #133 on: 2005-08-08 10:15:39 »
yeah fixed  :D
thanks

GrapeSmuggler

any ideas?
« Reply #134 on: 2005-08-08 23:37:57 »
I'm still getting some annoying random crashes here and there, what do you think the best compatibility mode to run it in is and also what nvidia drivers are best for this game ?

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2005-08-09 00:09:39 »
Do not make double posts just to get an answer. Be patient and someone will answer you.

Edit by Aaron: The other post has been deleted, because it was made in reply to a 3-year-old topic.

GrapeSmuggler

cosmo canyon crash!
« Reply #136 on: 2005-08-10 15:39:45 »
can anyone play through the cosmo canyon part for me, pleeeease ?

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #137 on: 2005-08-10 18:41:29 »
Send your save-game to me (check my profile for e-mail), or use gypt

DeKamme

« Reply #138 on: 2005-08-14 23:33:05 »
Quote from: cmay119
Hey all, I just wanted to add my $.02 this topic. This is all based off my experience thus far playing this game and making it work with newer hardware. *crop*

And you seem to have quite good experience at it :)
I just joined this forum to thank you, I spent 2h trying to make it work properly (and that's long, concidered I'm a tweaker and IT guy, I solve probs for a living!).
After following your advise, my ingame display looks superb, unlike before. For future reference, I will list my setup and actions:

A64 CPU,  GeForce 6600GT 128MB (PCI-e), XP (more system specs are irrelevand and would be bragging :p)

What I did so far:
- Apply "Riva" game patch (1.02 I presume)
- Install latest RivaTuner from GuRu3D
.. - Disalbe 8-bit palletized in RivaTuner
.. - Didn't mess with the AA settings
- Set FF7 config to "NVIDIA" & "TNT", set D3D 640*480 @16bpp
- Run game

And no grid, clear game fonts, and all effects.

I will post back if I encounter game lockups e.g., I did not set any compatibility mode.

Maybe a good idea to dig up some old hardware from my "storage room" (read borg cube located inside my house), and make an old games - rig. Fallout would like that too (another super RPG, from Black Isle, makers of Baldus Gate etc, but then without dragons & fantasy stuff).

Thanks everyone at this topic, you made me learn a lot and you gave me quite a few weeks of nostalgic amusement!

Squee

« Reply #139 on: 2005-08-20 10:32:34 »
I don't think this has been mentionned :

I recently bought FF7, and installed it, without any patches
the game started, and when I selected "new game" it showed a black screen, with the sounds of the train coming in ... when I went into the game menu, and back out, I could see cloud and the train, and went forward following whoevere that may be ... Then, when the guards arrive to fight (I guess that must be it), the game freezes, then exits on its own

even worse, when I apply the 1.02 patch, the game doesn't start at all ...

I use windows 2000, and haven't seen a solution in the previous posts .... can someone help me ?

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2005-08-20 12:23:58 »
Quote from: Squee
I (...) haven't seen a solution in the previous posts
Oh yeah?

NotWorkingMovies problem usually is caused by the lack of a TrueMotion2.0 codec.

Battle crash... Well... if you really read all previous posts, read them again... It could be compatibilty mode (although I don't know if it works properly with Win2k), software rendering mode, nVidia patch...

Cyrus XIII

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2005-08-20 23:09:18 »
@ Squee
You might want to try the Win2000 Fix I included in that patch I made (see the Multi Patch topic). What you decribed sounds a lot similar to the troubles I had before playing around with the compatiblity modes dziugo mentioned. Hope the patch helps and saves you some time.  :-?

DeKamme

« Reply #142 on: 2005-08-21 02:23:21 »
... (continuing my above post)
I set the .exe to win98 compatibility mode. However, every so many minutes my game freezes. This has improved after setting the compatibility mode, yet it isn't a permanent solution.

The game crashes, and a quit to desktop occurs, leaving me with a XP error message (report to MS) and a savegame to load.

Anyone got an idea?

Durane

« Reply #143 on: 2005-08-23 09:56:04 »
hello.. I really need help
I tried everything your post said or maybe i did it wrong my problem is I run the game, it appears black screen. than I click enter a "new game" and continue appears than I click new game a black screen again and nothing loads.

do you know whats the probelm?
i use xp

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2005-08-23 10:18:31 »
Have you installed the codec to play the movies?

Durane

« Reply #145 on: 2005-08-23 12:18:43 »
uhh whats the codec to play movies...
on the installation, I just maximum it said it will copy movies from the disk

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2005-08-23 18:00:11 »
Duck Truemotion...

Check the first post of this thread for an upside-down patch... It should work.

Durane

« Reply #147 on: 2005-08-23 18:23:04 »
ok problem solved i didnt see the movie thing on installation disk.
now i need help.. game runs really nice only after awhile during a battle it gives me a messege that windows has to close the progrem or something, "send" or "dont send"
anyone know whats the problem now?
it heppen 2 times - in the 2nd explosion mission, than i restart and it worked, and in the don mension after you take your women clothes off, i really need to solve in, cnt restart every time.
please help

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2005-08-23 19:00:00 »
Have you turned on the compatibility mode for the ff7.exe? If not, try it (Win98/Me works fine).

Durane

« Reply #149 on: 2005-08-23 19:03:01 »
ooh didnt know i need to do that

i hope it works..
thanks!