Author Topic: Feature Request: Changing Keyboard Input in "Enter Name Fields"  (Read 4344 times)

Wintermute

• View Profile
This is a feature, which I guess (!) would be not so difficult to change, IF you know where you have to look at in FF7.EXE, which I don't! Therefore I just thought about asking nicely here. ;-)

I am playing Final Fantasy on a laptop and already changed the keyboard layout to something similar to the configuration of FF8. But in every name input field the configuration temporarily change back to standard Numpad control. The reason for this is to give you the ability to also just enter the name with your keyboard instead of choosing each letter separately. You could even use Backspace, Space etc. So far so good.
The problem is that you can't just press Return to accept the name like you would in similar input fields, because the Return/Enter key is still mapped to the normal "Final Fantasy Accept Key", so you just would add the letter "A" to the name instead. To accept the name you first have to move the cursor some steps to the right and down which is a little bit cumbersome on laptops without a Numpad.

So my request is:
a) Just change the default focus of the cursor to the "Select" button instead of the letter "A". Therefore you can just press Return/Accept to continue.
Or
b) Change the function of the Return key to just confirm the name, no matter where the cursor is at the moment.

I would be happy if someone who knows more about the internals of Final Fantasy 7 could help me out.  :-)

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
You could just press Numpad-5 (Start) to accept the Name instead of moving the Cursor to the Accept-Button.

Wintermute

• View Profile
Yes, but like I wrote before, I don't have a numpad. ;-)Solution b) would have been the most logical method anyway - the way the original programmers changed the default input in these screens.
« Last Edit: 2007-05-07 15:16:21 by Wintermute »

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
On most laptops, you can use the Fn key and the letters on the right side of the keyboard to use the numpad.  For instance, in this example, Fn+I is numpad 5.  (Granted, using the Fn numpad is a little cumbersome, but one keystroke every time you enter a character name, which is not very often, is not really a big deal.)

Wintermute

• View Profile
And yes, again. I know this - otherwise I couldn't have passed these screens anyway without an extra keyboard. ;-)

But actually at the moment my installation of Final Fantasy crashes right after the first two name input screens - exactly when the movie "MKUP.AVI" is supposed to be played.
Because of this crash - the reason I am still investigating - I had and have to replay these first scenes again and again. And because of this, the stupid default input method is no longer cumbersome, but really, really annoying.  :|
« Last Edit: 2007-05-07 15:22:59 by Wintermute »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Esc + Enter to accept the default name. Just make sure you use the 1.02 patch.

Wintermute

• View Profile
Really? This would be great. I'll have to try it out next time.
Thanks!  :-)