Author Topic: Windows XP Problem :cry:  (Read 3638 times)

Ant

• View Profile
Windows XP Problem :cry:
« on: 2002-01-11 09:39:00 »
Here's my problem.
I had to reinstall windows XP because there was a critical error, anyhow as it was installing I foolishly decided against doing the update as at that time there were no dial up setings, anyhow so it says windows xp was installed correctly but when it loads up the first screen with the little blue "thing" running along under the windows xp logo. It hangs...so.....I start it up in safe mode and it works but safe mode is really limited, Im kinda screwed, its a sorta catch-22.  I need to be able to get on the internet and download the windows update but safe mode doesnt let me make a new dial up option.
BTW: It's professional version.
Also when i start it up in debug mode it pause for quite a while on Mup.sys (I reckon this is one of the files that needs to be updated)
Any help would be much appreciated.)

Thanks.
[edited] 57 2002-01-11 10:45

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #1 on: 2002-01-12 05:01:00 »
If the computer you were on when you made this thread has a CD burner, you might wanna check this site out:

http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/default.asp

I think the "Windows Update Catalog" for "IT Professionals" at the bottom of the page may be what your looking for.

You'll probably want to add the URL I pasted above to your favorites (on your home computer, that is.)  for the future.  I just did. ;-)

I hope this helps!

Ant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2002-01-12 11:57:00 »
Cheers, got it sorted now.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2002-01-12 22:46:00 »
Your problem got nothing on mine, I get a new harddrive so I put it in as the slave and go to partition it, as soon as I type In Fdisk it decides to lose command.com and won't accept the C:windows one.
   SO about an hour later and a few startup disk later its partioned and formatted. I then go to windows ME and use it to perform a fresh install of XP on the D: drive which work fine. Then I decide that it would be better to switch the D: drive to the master, so I do so. I restart the computer to find it keeps asking for a system disk and won't start windows.
    SO i figure I'll just reset the drives to how it was when it worked, which then wouldn't work!  :evil:  In the end I had to put the drives so the new one was the c: drive, format it, install windows 98 on it then uprgade to win XP to get it to work.   :evil:   I now know that harddrives have something against me!

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #4 on: 2002-01-13 02:37:00 »
Well, the reason why Windows stopped booting when you switched the drives around the first time is probably because Windows XP was looking for all of it's files on drive D:, which had been switched to C: (and vica versa for WinME.)

Couldn't tell you why niether worked when you switched the drives back . . . maybe something happened when you switched them that un set partition 1 on your WinME disk as the active partition.  (If there is no active partition, Windows won't boot.  You can usually fix this by going into Fdisk and choosing the "Set active Partition" option.)

Although, I guess none of that matters now . . . since it's already fixed.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2002-01-13 10:36:00 »
But the strange thing Is, the swapping of the drives like that had worked previously on my PC. I just swapped them over and it workedwithout any problems. Anyway I always seem to have a problem with harddrives, they always go wrong on me, its like my freind nearly every peice of RAM he touches goes wrong.