Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838393 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #4675 on: 2017-01-06 02:36:14 »
Well it seems you unbroke the junon league. Thanks for the quick replies and updates too. But as I am currently starting the Dark Cave quest, I have gotten stuck at a dog that turns white but won't disappear off the pipe blocking me from going further after finding Tifa. This spot had worked when I "checked out the side quest" while waiting for the omnislash/highwind quests to be updated.

Sorry to keep finding stuff to be fixed -.-

Must be the contact range; I set it higher for each actor group in those fields but I guess I didn't add the same script for the dog as the other ones (it had it at one point, but must have been removed). Rather than make a flevel patch for one line of script, I'll just re-do the installer + IRO :I

Onepercentofone

• View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: 2017-01-06 04:21:50 »
The issue is that the char.lgp, where models are stored, is being overwritten whole-sale rather than having files inserted into it by both installers.

The character models used in Reunion are Kalderasha's Chaos7 ones (maybe it uses a mix with different ones, I don't know). 7th Heaven reads save files from a different folder called Save inside the FF7 folder (Steam stores save files elsewhere, in MyDocuments I think). Good news is though that the save file format is the same so you can drag-drop steam save files straight into the 7H save folder and they should work (but be wary of doing this the other way around; FF7 Steam's launcher deletes save files it doesn't recognise on start-up).

Alternatively, you'd have to mix the .lgp archives manually. This would need Luksy's ULGP tool to a) unpack the char.lgp of an NT installation and a char.lgp from a Reunion Installation, b) copy-paste the Reunion char.lgp files (all of them) into the NT char.lgp archive, c) repack the NT char.lgp and put it back into the game folders.

If using updated battle models as well, then it's the same deal but with the battle.lgp instead but ONLY copy Reunion files from RT** onwards.

I guess I should have also mentioned I am using the '98 release, not the steam edition. Sorry for that. I've found the steam release to be much more complicated to mod. 7th Heaven just didn't recognize the other saves that were there in the same folder. I started a new game, and saved it to a fresh slot. If I ran the game outside of 7th Heaven, all saves were there. But, if I ran the game through 7th Heaven, it would only recognize the one save that began with 7th Heaven.

So if I were to install Reunion, then copy the char.lgp and battle.lgp, then install NT, is it as simple as inserting those two files after the NT install?

To be honest, I'm a little scared to manually mess with the lgp files. Last time I unpacked an .lgp file, I immediately got overwhelmed by everything.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: 2017-01-06 04:54:47 »
I guess I should have also mentioned I am using the '98 release, not the steam edition. Sorry for that. I've found the steam release to be much more complicated to mod. 7th Heaven just didn't recognize the other saves that were there in the same folder. I started a new game, and saved it to a fresh slot. If I ran the game outside of 7th Heaven, all saves were there. But, if I ran the game through 7th Heaven, it would only recognize the one save that began with 7th Heaven.

So if I were to install Reunion, then copy the char.lgp and battle.lgp, then install NT, is it as simple as inserting those two files after the NT install?

To be honest, I'm a little scared to manually mess with the lgp files. Last time I unpacked an .lgp file, I immediately got overwhelmed by everything.

It won't unfortunately, you need to unpack and then mix the .lgp archives; copy-replacing them as-is will cause a crash when NT needs to load assets from the reunion char.lgp or battle.lgp.

Here's an idea on what's happened with the save files on your 7H; long time back, when I tried to run FF7 1998 without being an admin (or it might have been when I tried to run it as admin, not sure) it would access a hidden set of files (including a save folder) instead of the one shown. On Win7; if you go to the FF7 directory and click on Organize then 'Folder and Search Options', you can choose to show Hidden files/folders in the View tab. That might turn up this separate save folder 7H seems to be accessing.

Edit: Installer + IRO updated
« Last Edit: 2017-01-06 04:58:34 by Sega Chief »

Onepercentofone

• View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: 2017-01-06 05:07:47 »
It won't unfortunately, you need to unpack and then mix the .lgp archives; copy-replacing them as-is will cause a crash when NT needs to load assets from the reunion char.lgp or battle.lgp.

I tried it just before you replied out of curiosity. What assets would cause it to crash? Like, how can I get it to crash? It hasn't crashed yet; I'm still in Wall Market, and I ran to get in a fight to test it out. So far, it's working okay. I believe you though, you know what your doing well more than I do.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #4679 on: 2017-01-06 05:50:55 »

Your work is impeccable. Thank you much :)

levantine

• View Profile
« Reply #4680 on: 2017-01-06 12:03:30 »
Hi !
Welcome back here and be motivate to start a new party with your updated mod :)
I search for a long time but can't find a read me that recap  changes that you done for the game, where can i find it (i want to know for example what change you done for characters like limit changes, stats changes etc.. to planify my future team :)

Thx a lot and happy that you continue to upgrade your mod, you done an amazing work you know, hope that square see your mod and contact you !

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile

Onepercentofone

• View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: 2017-01-06 13:18:10 »
So I ran into one of the crashes you mentioned. It happened after I rejoined Barret at the top of the plate support. After setting up the equipment, it would crash. So I followed your advice, swallowed my anxiety and went ahead with the ULGP tool. The tool itself was incredibly easy to use! Last time I tried, I used Highwind I believe, or something like that. And I had no idea what I was doing. But, thanks to your directions and the amazingly easy to use ULGP tool, it's working great! I finally have the game looking just the way I want, and your new features are awesome! Can't wait to get through the entire story and all the extra content you've implemented! Thanks for all the help!!

SaltyWalty

• View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: 2017-01-06 13:31:53 »
Is it safe to destroy the Carry Armors arms? I know in vanilla destroying the arms would make that cheese head spam the crap out of Lapis laser

Rkude0216

• View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: 2017-01-06 14:23:39 »
Is it safe to destroy the Carry Armors arms? I know in vanilla destroying the arms would make that cheese head spam the crap out of Lapis laser

If I recall correctly you cannot damage the body without destroying the arms and he is pretty quick to grab someone, so leaving one person who isn't grabbed is probably a bad idea. I think I abused shield along with haste after destroying arms to nuke the body to stop his laser from doing damage. unless that was curator...if shield doesn't work just wall and regen

Rkude0216

• View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: 2017-01-06 16:25:31 »
another possible bug with the dark cave, boss fight this time.

Spoiler: show
resuming my dark cave run, the atm scorpion fight in the reactor soft locked after his tail was up for an good amount of time. I'd assume it locked when the tail was supposed to return down. After a materia change I was able to nuke him before he could put his tail up but may be frustrating to less developed players who can't. I only attempted the fight once before the nuke, but I can retry again if you want me too.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: 2017-01-06 18:25:29 »
Hi !
Welcome back here and be motivate to start a new party with your updated mod :)
I search for a long time but can't find a read me that recap  changes that you done for the game, where can i find it (i want to know for example what change you done for characters like limit changes, stats changes etc.. to planify my future team :)

Thx a lot and happy that you continue to upgrade your mod, you done an amazing work you know, hope that square see your mod and contact you !

I'll be working on the mod for the rest of the month I think; I really want to get all the loose ends tied up and stop making changes so that people can pick it up knowing that they're not going to run into glitches or have the rug pulled from under them by an impromptu balancing change.

So I ran into one of the crashes you mentioned. It happened after I rejoined Barret at the top of the plate support. After setting up the equipment, it would crash. So I followed your advice, swallowed my anxiety and went ahead with the ULGP tool. The tool itself was incredibly easy to use! Last time I tried, I used Highwind I believe, or something like that. And I had no idea what I was doing. But, thanks to your directions and the amazingly easy to use ULGP tool, it's working great! I finally have the game looking just the way I want, and your new features are awesome! Can't wait to get through the entire story and all the extra content you've implemented! Thanks for all the help!!

Yeah, the new LGP tools are quite straightforward. I don't think I've used Highwind but it's a fairly old one. Nowadays we just decompile .lgp archives, put the new files in, and then zip it back up and it's good to go. If you run into problems anywhere then let me know and I'll see if I can figure it out.

If I recall correctly you cannot damage the body without destroying the arms and he is pretty quick to grab someone, so leaving one person who isn't grabbed is probably a bad idea. I think I abused shield along with haste after destroying arms to nuke the body to stop his laser from doing damage. unless that was curator...if shield doesn't work just wall and regen

I thought that I'd disabled the AI that made Carry Armor's torso invincible until the arms were destroyed but discovered recently that this was not the case. It should be now though; you can just hit Carry Armour and leave the arms alone if you want to. Curator might have the invincible torso AI still though. As for the Torso itself, it's been set up to have it's own attack scripts so even with the arms dead it'll still be just as versatile with plenty of attacks to use. I think the attacks themselves have been set to change once an arm is dead; a hold-over from the previous draft where the arms needed to be destroyed and I used that as a trigger to change phases for the boss.

another possible bug with the dark cave, boss fight this time.

resuming my dark cave run, the atm scorpion fight in the reactor soft locked after his tail was up for an good amount of time. I'd assume it locked when the tail was supposed to return down. After a materia change I was able to nuke him before he could put his tail up but may be frustrating to less developed players who can't. I only attempted the fight once before the nuke, but I can retry again if you want me too.

I'll give his AI a check and make a scene patch for it.

HeaN

• Do small steps...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: 2017-01-06 21:16:22 »
dunno if you fixed that yet. (mk1)

watch @ https://www.twitch.tv/heanforce/v/110968338

alderez

• View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: 2017-01-07 16:19:04 »
Hey Sega - Cid's Grow Lance says long range in the description....and it normally seems to be.  But if I fight ultimate weapon and try to attack him with Cid I get the target is out of range.

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: 2017-01-07 16:40:04 »
I'm pretty sure it's only benefit is it lets you attack from the back row.

However it doesn't have the same effect if it was slotted with, for example, the long range materia.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: 2017-01-07 18:17:46 »
Hey Sega - Cid's Grow Lance says long range in the description....and it normally seems to be.  But if I fight ultimate weapon and try to attack him with Cid I get the target is out of range.

I'm pretty sure it's only benefit is it lets you attack from the back row.

However it doesn't have the same effect if it was slotted with, for example, the long range materia.

That's really odd; deactivating the short range flag on a weapon should enable attacks on enemies that are normally out of reach (all of the gun weapons use the same flag for instance). I'll look into this at some point but not sure if I'd be able to fix it if there's something hard-coded to characters.

Meindratheal

• View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: 2017-01-07 20:07:03 »
I felt like playing FF7 again and decided to give this mod a try to refresh the experience. Loving it so far, it's not too difficult (I tried the Hardcore mod before, was a bit too tough for my tastes because I'm a casual  ;D ). And the little changes here and there are awesome, just got out of Kalm and had a good laugh.

I have a question though: From what I remember, there's some items in the Kalm Flashback, and also the piano which you need to use to unlock the Elemental materia in Disc 2 in Nibelheim. I skipped the flashback, did I miss anything because of this?

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: 2017-01-07 23:50:53 »
I'm in Junon on disc 2,
when the party is captured and sent to death.
The save point there doesn't let you save, but you can change party members. I've tried reentering the area, and it doesn't fix it. Was this on purpose? Cause the first fight I got into they destroyed me, and now I'm all the way back at the last Northern Cavern save. I'm thinking not cause I was able to change Barret out for Yuffie and run around as the invisible girl.

levantine

• View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: 2017-01-08 00:23:12 »
Hi, i saw the read me but i'm still confuse with all change you apport with characters and was wondering wich team i will choose for my party

Is caith sith red or vincent still useless at end game for example?

Have you got some example team that i can do to get good synergie together?

Thx for answer :))

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: 2017-01-08 01:01:01 »
Hi, i saw the read me but i'm still confuse with all change you apport with characters and was wondering wich team i will choose for my party

Is caith sith red or vincent still useless at end game for example?

Have you got some example team that i can do to get good synergie together?

Thx for answer :))

Cait Sith is pretty viable now. He's not just locked to having Dice and Slots as his Limit breaks, His tier 1 level 2 limit is now Transform, which is a nice slot outcome that fuses your allies into a giant Cait Sith boosting all of his stats a LOT. He has a lot of luck, so he'll dodge more and crit more. His high vit and spr make him very viable for a tank. Throw a cover on him and he's good to go. His ability MP conversion is fantastic for being a great tank. Throw a bunch of materia on him so he has a lot of MP and he will be pretty hard to kill.

Red XIII is better as well. He's a lot like Cloud, but not as good as Cloud, but he has a lot more Dex. His ability is also wonderful for long drawn out fights, as he just gets stronger as the battle goes on. The damage needed to get his limits has changed as well. Since level 4 wasn't the best in his arsenal, it's been made easier to get. If I'm having trouble with a boss fight that seems to take forever, throwing Red XIII in is a great boon.

Vincent has been made more of a mage now. The back row is where he'll thrive the most. His long range weapons will do full damage, and physical attacks won't do as much. He'll get blasted by magic really hard however as his SPR and Hp are kind of low, but he'll be able to sling spells as good as the best of them. His Mp Regen is fantastic for this. He can sling an amazing amount of spells at the opponent, and do really good damage with them. His limits are not the best in the world still, since you still lose control of him, but really you won't be needing to use attack much if you keep him your main spell user.

A team that I like to use a lot is Cloud, Aerith, and Yuffie.

Cloud I've been building as a more physical character, but he can still use magic well enough to help out on fights where physical attacks don't work very well. If I ever need him to be a better mage then Ill just equip him with stuff that buffs his magic up, and he'll have much more of a magical punch. With Meteorain and Finishing Touch finishing off everything else that decides it wants to survive.

Aerith is a fantastic mage. Her magical damage is super high, and with the bonus of her healing staff doing pretty high healing by attacking, she'll be the best healer in the game.
 Not to mention the upgraded version you get later on that nearly doubles the healing her attacks do
In boss fights if there is a weakness, and she has the spell, she will absolutely wreck them, but I tend to keep her as a White Mage class, as using Cure 1 on level 50's is still healing very well.

Yuffie is a great dodge tank. Her ability to gain dodge to either physical or magical, depending on what she's hit with, is super helpful. If you get the chocobracelet you can get early on, then her dodging becomes that much better. She's not as lucky as Cait Sith, but it's high enough to be able to dodge, and crit quite a lot. Her really high dex also makes sure she is one of the first to get a turn, and multiple in without the need of Haste (but it does help). She doesn't have the best vit though, so if she is hit she's hit hard, but that doesn't happen too often. An unhitable glass cannon on crack pretty dang good in my book.

I might be wrong on some of this, but this is just what I've found out by playing. I'd easily be able to swap out my characters for all the ones you listed, and still be quite a dominating team.

levantine

• View Profile
« Reply #4695 on: 2017-01-08 01:14:12 »
Thx a lot for your answer ! it would be difficult to decide wich one i will take, maybe my last and prefer team : cloud cid and tifa (with lucky tifa limit breaks are awfull but yes i know it's a shame, but without this mod i hate random roulet limit break lol) i like and cid too :)
But maybe i should try a team more original with caith sith and something else, red xii looks cool if his last limit has changed, aerith i awsome too, but fear to have some bug in disc 2 and 3, only vincent is so so for me has we can't control him during limit break, barret is for me one of the better character in the original game but i'm not rly a fan of his skin ^^ .... fuck i don't know who i will take ^^

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: 2017-01-08 06:21:11 »
I felt like playing FF7 again and decided to give this mod a try to refresh the experience. Loving it so far, it's not too difficult (I tried the Hardcore mod before, was a bit too tough for my tastes because I'm a casual  ;D ). And the little changes here and there are awesome, just got out of Kalm and had a good laugh.

I have a question though: From what I remember, there's some items in the Kalm Flashback, and also the piano which you need to use to unlock the Elemental materia in Disc 2 in Nibelheim. I skipped the flashback, did I miss anything because of this?

I set up every variable I could find that takes place within the Flashback to set it when the skip option is selected. Cloud should say he 'played the piano' during the scene with Sephiroth in Whirlwind Maze, etc.

I'm in Junon on disc 2,
when the party is captured and sent to death.
The save point there doesn't let you save, but you can change party members. I've tried reentering the area, and it doesn't fix it. Was this on purpose? Cause the first fight I got into they destroyed me, and now I'm all the way back at the last Northern Cavern save. I'm thinking not cause I was able to change Barret out for Yuffie and run around as the invisible girl.

That issue was reported fairly recently; I tried changing the options available at this save point for the latest set of files. Are these installed and is PHS still available at that Save? I'll compare it to the default field and try to remove it as having 3 party members/different team comp can cause the subsequent scenes to crash.

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: 2017-01-08 08:33:32 »
Ah, there's an update in 7th Heaven that must be it. I'll take update, and next time I play I'll let you know. (or someone else will depending) I updated yesterday, so I didn't check for an update to day. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

levantine

• View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: 2017-01-08 10:18:23 »
To come back for team question, i will maybe go with cloud tifa and aerith (hope i would not have bug with aerith in disc 2 and 3) but i can't remove the lucky tifa mod (like it said i hate random roulet limit break, but i fear that playing with this mod would put tifa over cheating and so breaking the difficult game, what is your opinion about this?)
An other question, is there new music you pu in new threat? i play with anxous hearth fan made mod, but i don t want to miss some new music if you added some of, can i still play with anxious fan made and still benefit new music that you input in new threat (if you done this of course^^)

thx for answer and sorry for my english, don t hesitate to ask me te reformul something i said ^^

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: 2017-01-08 10:36:36 »
NT has one music file (comical.ogg), and it will be used so long as you have it placed above the Anxious Heart mod in the load order.

If you're using the Catalog with the New Threat option in Gameplay - Difficulty and Story, then it actually won't work right now because I messed up the folder structure. I'll fix it with an update this week.