Read this first! > FAQs and Tutorials

[Tutorial] Timber's FF7Music Looping Tutorial

(1/4) > >>

Timber:
Please note: If you have no idea how to set up or use FF7Music, you should probably read Covarr's excellent tutorial first: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8493.0

So Timber, how do I make my MP3s loop properly?

MP3s can't loop. However, OGGs can. This tutorial will show you how turn your existing MP3s into looping OGGs, and how to play looping OGGs in FF7Music.

OK, how should I set up FF7Music to play looping OGGs?

Easy!

1. Download Timber's FF7Music Loop Pack: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TSI527M0
2. Extract the contents to somewhere that makes sense, such as your Final Fantasy VII or Ficedula directory.
3. Open FF7Music, and click Configure.
4. Select in_vgmstream.dll for the Input Plugin.
5. FF7Music will now play looping OGGs! (remember to select your ogg files in the files tab).

Sweet, but I still need to turn my MP3s into looping OGGs...

Here's a very quick way to turn MP3s into looping OGGs using Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

1. Open Audacity

2. At the bottom where it shows Selection Start click the drop down arrow and choose Samples
Also at the bottom toolbar make sure the term "Length" is chosen.

Samples are the numerical value used to identify where the loop will start and end.

3. Open any mp3 file into Audacity
Listen intently for any possible looping points within the song.
Once you find an area you can loop with, delete the rest of the song.

Delete the rest of the song, it's just a waste of hard drive space!

The idea is for the song to reach the end of it's file. FF7Music will then loop it to a certain sample position number.

Protip: Zooming in helps alot with deleting sections of a track.
Protip: You can also click on a position in the track and press Shift+K [audacity 1.3.7 and up] which will select to the end of the track, this makes a very clean deletion.

4. The next step is to find the sample positions.
Click the position where you will begin the loop and make a selection all the way to the end of the track.
If you use [Shift+K] it will make a selection from the position you clicked to the end of the track.

Protip: Do you want to hear what your loop sounds like before you actually import it into FF7Music? Hold shift and press the Play button for Loop Play.

Now that you have your selection, don't move it because we need the sample numbers.

5. You can see your selection numbers at the bottom toolbar. You do not need any of the zero's that start before the number. For example:

Your selection start in this example is 1626852, and your length is 5772241.

6. Click File > Export >
Under 'Save as type' choose Ogg Vorbis, and click Save.

Under Meta data type under Tag Name type LOOPSTART in CAPS
in Tag value Type your selection start number
Underneath Type LOOPLENGTH in CAPS
type the selection length number

Click OK

7. Done! Your new OGG file will loop in FF7Music.

I actually tested this by using the looping OGGs in Final Fantasy XIV, and it worked perfectly.
Hopefully, someone with a good musical ear can make use of this, and upload an OGG looping version of the Remastered OST for everyone to enjoy.

jeffdamann:
Can I do this with the psf files?

Timber:
I have no idea.

I was under the impression the psf's looped already? I don't know, I have never used them.

jeffdamann:
Well they do loop, but badly.

Covarr:

--- Quote from: Timber on 2010-07-03 21:31:34 ---Covarr's excellent

--- End quote ---
Thanks!

--- Quote from: Timber on 2010-07-03 21:31:34 ---Hopefully, someone with a good musical ear can make use of this, and upload an OGG looping version of the Remastered OST for everyone to enjoy.

--- End quote ---
Not something I plan on doing myself (don't have the time or patience), but if somebody else does it, I'll update my FF7Music bundle with an OGG Vorbis plugin and a new profile for the OGG soundtrack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version