Author Topic: Current state.  (Read 107814 times)

zerotacg

• View Profile
Re: Current state.
« Reply #125 on: 2013-10-04 06:08:42 »
the error you get is from Ogre 1.7 I had the same error and checked Ogre they did change the member variable name from 1.7 to 1.8
so 1.8 is a requirement for now
I noted that as an requirement in a readme.txt in the root path of qgears :)
I wrote boost 1.51 to be required but that's not exactly true, as Ogre is compatible with a variety of boost versions as one can grasp from their cmake

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #126 on: 2013-10-05 16:51:16 »
After some problems building on my home machine i realized something the version of ogre in raring is 1.8.0 and qgears uses OGRE::StringConverter::parseSizeT from ogre 1.8.1 . Q-gears will not build using the provided version of ogre using any ubuntu version <13.10 (saucy) . for versions lower then this any build script will first need to get libogre from outside the repositorys.Once i finally upgrade my desktop to saucy (possibly later this week ) i can work on the packaging some more.

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2013-10-06 21:24:34 »
a minor update from my side
I'm currently doing mostly just migration of building to CMake and cleanup ( lots of files moved, sorry for any inconvinience when updating )
I get along with CMake quite well it really does a great job, I did migrate some first Unittests to CMake + CTest and implemented Walkmesh serialization meanwhile
as building works good enough for now, I'll try and concentrate further implementing missing Resource files, next goal is loading of Field map completely from ff7 data, with exception of the script

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2013-10-07 12:01:29 »
a minor update from my side
I'm currently doing mostly just migration of building to CMake and cleanup ( lots of files moved, sorry for any inconvinience when updating )
I get along with CMake quite well it really does a great job, I did migrate some first Unittests to CMake + CTest and implemented Walkmesh serialization meanwhile
as building works good enough for now, I'll try and concentrate further implementing missing Resource files, next goal is loading of Field map completely from ff7 data, with exception of the script

By the way I suggest you to get rid of my support for usual formats like XML and png, get rid of new directory structure, because it will be easier to support native FFVII pc formats only.
It will be easier to add battle and worldmap this way too.
I wanted to create all work through normal readable formats and export all data to this formats to make game easy to create mods and adding new content. If you move this to native data it's not nessasary leave my things in project. Though you still needs to think something for menu and special effects, cause they are all hardcoded.

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2013-10-07 20:45:07 »
oh by no means would I get rid of that formats, I adjust them as I see appropriate and migrate them to Ogre::Resource etc as needed
easy human readable formats are a good choice for q-gears native format, the easier for content creators the better :)
my ultimate goal for resource files would be to have them all load / fill the same Resource(s) just by different serializers so that the export utilities
would simply import a resource with a game native serializer and export with the q-gears native one
« Last Edit: 2013-10-08 06:51:31 by zerotacg »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #130 on: 2013-10-08 22:45:55 »
i have created a package (it doesn't really install where it should yet). but in doing so i have discovered qgears repo is way to big to fetch for dailys. the repo will need to be slightly restructed so that the non essental stuff is not in the same folder as the stuff needed to build qgears (and its plugins)

A list of the files used to make the current package can be seen at the link below.
http://pastebin.kde.org/pa0rdikkn   (link good for ~1 month) these items (except for data folder) should perhaps be moved into a folder so its easier to grab the source thats needed for building.  (please note i didn't push the debian folder yet)

the files in "data" are temp and eventually should be replaced by Exports from a supported game or other user created content.

i also need to know the correct copyright info. development years , Name of copyright holder and their email , please PM me this info so i can place it correctly in the copyright section for the packaging

professorhojo

• All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2013-10-08 23:05:00 »
I am really glad you all are still actively working on this.  One of these days I can't wait to play the full game front to back using what all of you have built.

professorhojo

• All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2013-10-08 23:33:28 »
When I originally envisioned the engine, I wanted it to use the data files natively. It was Akari who decided to go the conversion route. I also wanted concentation on the PSX version as the PC version was really rare. Now that it's been re-released, and now the PSX version is the rare one.

Regarding the re-release, I wonder if anybody has considered if there might be differences in the files between the old original release and the re-release?

The reason I ask is because the version I have is the PC version, the first original one:

Short of uploading ISOs to anybody, perhaps there are some things I could offer active developers that they might need?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2013-10-08 23:35:25 »
Regarding the re-release, I wonder if anybody has considered if there might be differences in the files between the old original release and the re-release?
Aside from the obviously different videos and exe, I'm pretty sure flevel.lgp is different. I don't recall if anyone ever checked the changes, but the format is exactly the same; files can be swapped pretty readily between versions.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2013-10-09 01:31:58 »
The 2012 Flevel contains bug fixes and such.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2013-10-09 19:31:57 »
They may have changed things to work with most of the mods here.  When I used the re-release most of the changes done there showed up.  The only thing I saw was the exe since I think most ones that use it are for the old one as the new release is different.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2013-10-10 00:10:39 »
The 2012 flevel isn't that different in terms of changes made.  There are one or 2 bug fixes though.  Luksy also had to change ts to read it properly because of the compression.  He surmised that the reason for this was they changed flevel using their own tool, not using Makou Reactor.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2013-10-16 00:06:37 »
oh by no means would I get rid of that formats, I adjust them as I see appropriate and migrate them to Ogre::Resource etc as needed
easy human readable formats are a good choice for q-gears native format, the easier for content creators the better :)
my ultimate goal for resource files would be to have them all load / fill the same Resource(s) just by different serializers so that the export utilities
would simply import a resource with a game native serializer and export with the q-gears native one
One thing I always wanted to add was voice synthesis for the conversations. Not because it would sound good but because it would
  • be a challenge
  • allow me to work on voice stressing based on the context (hints given by interpreting the script a bit perhaps?)
  • Might end up actually being useful for other games
I am not thrilled with so many games voice acted in fact I've found it annoying of late. It seems to have watered down the dialog in games immensly and really ruined the fun of moding games a lot. Adding new voices is difficult in that not many people can voice act (it is indeed an art). Most people sound ... terrible (not that thier voice sounds bad but it's difficult to have continuity and requires a lot of patience and skill to focus on the words correctly).
So my thinking was "perhaps game script hinting and context sensitive processing would help". Information from the game itself can alter tone pitch etc.

I would love to add other things such as new control inputs that translate into the game functionality (IE not just make the normal inputs but have a proper result in the game). Granted the turn base combat in FF7 can't make much use of something like the kinex however mousing through the menus might be interesting for example.

Just my thoughts ... and seriously that is something "I" consider fun working on :D

Cyb

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #138 on: 2013-10-23 14:07:13 »
I'd love ff8 to sound like that:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSMMn0BIpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVAPs5nj6Y

If only a collab with Shudo would be possible in the future...

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #139 on: 2014-04-25 01:47:41 »
Just commited the debian folder as well as icon and .desktop file for q-gears.

Sorry about the icon . we will need a better one as mine is just the text "QGears Icon" in a 64x64 box. mainly it is a place holder.

to build the package you will need debian or a debian derivitive (like *buntu)

install the required packages

Code: [Select]
build-essential
devscripts
debhelper
cdbs
cmake
libogre-1.8-dev
libois-dev
libboost-program-options-dev
libboost-filesystem-dev

you will also have to make a folder named "qgears_0.21" (0.21 is current version in debian/changelog) and copy the code into it you will need the following from the source. 
Code: [Select]
debian/*
debpendencies/*
output/*
Plugins/*
QGearsMain/*
SupportedGames/*
CMakeLists.txt
q-gears.desktop
q-gears.png
COPYING.txt
compress this folder to qgears_0.21.orig.tar.gz (use tar.gz replace 0.21 = current version from debian/changelog)
then enter the folder qgears_0.21 and run the command
debuild -uc -us to make the package and use dpkg -i to install it .

the current package will install to /usr/games/ and place resources in /usr/share/q-gears .  depending on your DE you may have to log in / log out to see q-gears in your application menu under games.

remember with 0.21 when you run it to press F8 to bring up the demo menu.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-29 01:07:41 by sithlord48 »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #140 on: 2014-04-28 15:45:15 »
Now that i have the package building correctly and NEED COPYRIGHT INFO. can i please get the license we will release under (currently assuming gplv3) . so that i can post the correct info as well as tag the files with the correct copyright info.

Next Step is for me to set up the repo structure in a manor that can be fetched daily without extra bloat of the install/reversing stuff.

how does this look to everyone for the repo structure???

/
--/TRUNK (the development happens here)
---/QGearsMain/
---/Plugins
---/SupportedGames (various info for supported games
---/output (will need to be sanitized for copyright stuff? mostly all is from the ogre format data.)
---/dependencies/
---/CMakeLists.txt
---/COPYING.txt  (contains our copyright info for the project , basicly a copy of gpl v2 or gpl v3 what we decide apon)
---/debian (folder containing rules and stuff for making debian packages
---/q-gears.desktop (our shortcut for menus)
---/q-gears.png (icon that system will use for qgears)
--/OTHER STUFF (propose a name, maybe should be a few folders.)
---/ all the other folders like misc, media, revercing etc.. 
--/RELEASES  (released code. )
---/0.21 (version 0.21)
---/0.50 (some later version, number is made up )

reason for this is so the development code can easily and without bloat be downloaded for building and daily testing.

now i will work on getting the install portion working as expected without issues on different systems.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-29 01:24:43 by sithlord48 »

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2014-04-29 05:51:48 »
the source forge site [1] states it is under gpl2, I released my code under mit until I found out it was using gpl2 but didn't change all files
but now as it comes to more developers we should really include a license and a contributors file and prepare a general source header with the minimalistic version of the license
I would stick with gpl2 just to not need the change it but I don't really mind

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/q-gears/

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #142 on: 2014-04-29 12:29:05 »
yeah i put the gplv2 in copying.txt . the package building is working well. still need to move some things around ill see if i can idle on irc today.

EDIT::

so the Plugins is not needed to build the package.

I was looking in to only pulling the needed files from sourceforge and after creating the project I have discovered that
Launchpad does not support mercurial :(. so i have no idea how im going to import the code for daily building. Is there any possibility of us being able to host a mirror in git or svn on sourceforge at the same time? I look in to how / if this is possible. A Project admin would have to ultimately make the changes because I can not.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-30 14:34:30 by sithlord48 »

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2014-05-01 06:19:49 »
hg-git [1] to the rescue :D we could just fork and switch to github?
older launchpad [2] did support mercurial?

[1] http://traviscline.com/blog/2010/04/27/using-hg-git-to-work-in-git-and-push-to-hg/
[2] https://i.stack.imgur.com/hMcSR.png

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #144 on: 2014-05-01 12:11:06 »
a fork to git hub seams like the best bet. as you dont' get to pick the command you just select the service (hg-git or git-hg doesn't work) . i made a git hub account didn't spend much time trying to get the repo set up . so if you get to it feel free. then we just need to keep the github and sourceforge versions in sync.

yes launchpad at some point did support mercurial from what i have read it was never working correctly and used very little so they just decided to drop it.

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2014-05-02 13:22:29 »
I mirrored the mercurial repo to github [1] I try to merge any changes from the git repo into hg maybe we could even let the source forge one die and just forward to github?

[1] https://github.com/zerotacg/q-gears

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #146 on: 2014-05-15 20:04:05 »
i have forked your github. gotten it to mostly import to launchpad then i hit a wall because of this error

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/175416895/sithlord48-q-gears-trunk.log

im told that some file is possibly not named with utf8 characters... not sure why it wont import correctly.

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2014-05-18 06:21:12 »
really hard to tell, any hint on which file it is that's causing the error?

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #148 on: 2014-05-19 12:09:37 »
no idea

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2014-06-01 20:03:23 »
With Q-gears is there a way to make Sephiroth and Vincent seperate and restore Sephiroth's rename menu?  I found the menu in question in the flevel though the issue is that it is unfinished with just a blank box.  If we can make them separate then it would make a natural Sephiroth mod a whole lot easier and do able.