Author Topic: Using D-pad with FF7 on 7th Heaven 2.0  (Read 2716 times)

skywalker24

• View Profile
Using D-pad with FF7 on 7th Heaven 2.0
« on: 2020-03-27 00:02:45 »
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been covered or if this is the wrong place.  I'm new here and new to 7th Heaven, etc.

I got 7th Heaven 2.0 and an 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller to play FF7 with mods, but I'm trying to make the controls as close as possible to the PS1 original. 

I've tried Xinputplus and the controls settings in 7th Heaven but can never get the game to allow Dpad controls.  I can only get them to work when changing the controls in Steam and launching from there (which doesn't load the mods). 

How can I get the Dpad to work within 7th Heaven? 

Thanks so much and I apologize if this is in the wrong place or been covered many times.

Aurora

• View Profile
Re: Using D-pad with FF7 on 7th Heaven 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 2020-03-27 02:08:53 »
You can't get your d-pad to work natively unless your drivers support remapping the d-pad as buttons rather than HAT / Axis.

You'll either have to add 7th heaven to steam as a non steam game and remap the dpad with steam to act as an analog stick. Or alternatively, use something like JoyToKey to map the Up/Down/Left/Right key inputs to your dpad.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
« Reply #2 on: 2020-03-27 08:07:35 »
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been covered or if this is the wrong place.  I'm new here and new to 7th Heaven, etc.

I got 7th Heaven 2.0 and an 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller to play FF7 with mods, but I'm trying to make the controls as close as possible to the PS1 original. 

I've tried Xinputplus and the controls settings in 7th Heaven but can never get the game to allow Dpad controls.  I can only get them to work when changing the controls in Steam and launching from there (which doesn't load the mods). 

How can I get the Dpad to work within 7th Heaven? 

Thanks so much and I apologize if this is in the wrong place or been covered many times.

The GAME (let's be clear: 7H is only a mod manager and game launcher) only has partial controller support. That means no d-pad, among other things. You can emulate/fake support for the d-pad and other buttons on your controller with 3rd party apps. There's a link in the below thread where I write up a fairly detailed guide:

https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19588.0

Flash0429

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-03-28 20:40:58 »
The GAME (let's be clear: 7H is only a mod manager and game launcher) only has partial controller support.

its funny i never understood why this was changed considering on PS1 you ONLY had the D-Pad

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
« Reply #4 on: 2020-03-29 19:01:36 »
its funny i never understood why this was changed considering on PS1 you ONLY had the D-Pad

It wasn't changed. Difference in hardware between PS1/PC and controller support was very different in 1998 on PCs.