Author Topic: [FF7] Tutorial for Bootleg - Tifa's Bootleg  (Read 2435946 times)

Hileict

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Tifa's Bootleg
« Reply #1325 on: 2013-07-21 12:51:15 »
Hey guys, so.. I would totally go ahead and use Bootleg and all, but hell no while it's being picked up as a known Trojan horse virus. A rather nasty one too. Luckily, I had a ton of preventative stuff in place to block it from attacking. Once that business is fixed, I'll be more inclined to not think this is messed up..

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: 2013-07-21 13:10:41 »
Hey guys, so.. I would totally go ahead and use Bootleg and all, but hell no while it's being picked up as a known Trojan horse virus. A rather nasty one too. Luckily, I had a ton of preventative stuff in place to block it from attacking. Once that business is fixed, I'll be more inclined to not think this is messed up..

I know it's scary but don't worry! Turn your anti-virus off. :P Which AV program are you using? Look at the most ever online this forum in one day, 1919. 1900 of them were after bootleg. No one got a Trojan.

I am running AVG Internet security 2013.
As soon as I extract the bootleg zip I get alerts that bootleg.exe has the following Trojan:
Generic33.BGUM
Alerts for this repeatedly show up, AVG is not happy.
Any help, greatly appreciated.
AVG causes too many false positives (and for having seen the code of both BFE and the Bootleg process, I can assure you that there is NO trojan there).
« Last Edit: 2013-07-21 13:15:12 by Template »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #1327 on: 2013-07-21 13:14:22 »

It's not from Rome. It doesn't say "naaaay." It won't make you sick.

Hileict

• View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: 2013-07-21 13:53:44 »
Turn your anti-virus off.

Well that ain't happening. "False positive" doesn't quite add up, to me. I'd be more likely to use mods if it didn't look like dodgy software.. Just saying.

So many people also don't use any anti-virus program at all, so it's hard to say whether they notice or not. It did actually cause some shady stuff, hence my caution. I'd rather a safer method, if there even is one. That mod manager thread sounds way better. Something more official.. Looks like some of the mods listed in Bootleg aren't really supported anymore.. And some are straight up missing, like.. Any Cid models, etc.. Game would look pretty weird.

It's not from Rome. It doesn't say "naaaay." It won't make you sick.

Well.. That's one way to make it sound super legit.. :-P
« Last Edit: 2013-07-21 14:13:17 by Hileict »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: 2013-07-21 14:17:51 »
Well that ain't happening. "False positive" doesn't quite add up, to me. I'd be more likely to use mods if it didn't look like dodgy software.. Just saying.

So many people also don't use any anti-virus program at all, so it's hard to say whether they notice or not. It did actually cause some shady stuff, hence my caution. I'd rather a safer method, if there even is one.

Well.. That's one way to make it look super legit..
Hehe. There's tons of legitimate software out there that advise you in their installers to turn off all anti-virus to proceed. Bootleg happens to be getting mis-flagged as a Trojan. Why? Because crappy AV prog manufacturers (who are actually responsible for most of the "virus" attacks out there) false-alarm on almost anything that attempts to alter another file on your system, in an effort to look like they are doing SOMETHING, when actually they are doing nothing.
Personally, it means squat to me whether or not you install bootleg, but I will defend the program and its author from baseless accusations from unidentified anti-virus programs.

Hileict

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: 2013-07-21 14:37:57 »
Fair enough.. But allow me to provide some context.

I have a ton of mods for both Saints Row 2 and Saints Row: The Third. Loads of mods. Not one .exe file involved. You can patch using a .bat format or simply add files to the steamapps/saints row the third folder directly. Boom. Done.
Why use an .exe file which is notoriously dodgy (third-party ones anyway) on the internet. Not once have I had to "turn off my anti-virus software" to install anything. That just isn't that wise..

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: 2013-07-21 14:42:53 »
I have a ton of mods for both Saints Row 2 and Saints Row: The Third. Loads of mods. Not one .exe file involved. You can patch using a .bat format or simply add files to the steamapps/saints row the third folder directly. Boom. Done.
Why use an .exe file which is notoriously dodgy (third-party ones anyway) on the internet. Not once have I had to "turn off my anti-virus software" to install anything. That just isn't that wise..
As far as I know, the reason is because the game is really old and really hard to code for. The original Saints Row came out nearly a decade later. I think if PitBrat could have done it another way, he would have. He's that smart.

btw, i +1 your last post for being reasonable and logical  ;D
« Last Edit: 2013-07-21 14:47:27 by Template »

Hileict

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: 2013-07-21 14:52:51 »
Well, I'd like to think I can be reasonable.. But can you blame me for being cautious, after past mod experience, then coming to this with.. Weird patching processes? (No disrespect to the creators, just.. Yeah.) Maybe that's SE's fault. Probably is. It'd be nice if they had co-operation with modders to at least contribute the higher quality models, etc, because I will admit, the FFX style battle layout and some of Cloud's models? Awesome. Not gonna lie. Seeing as I like Cid though, not seeing any battle models for him is pretty disappointing. He just wants his goddamn tea! :(

Sorry if I came across as "being a jerk".. Just.. Yeah. Something seemed off.

Is it also possible, if it converts the game to the 1998 PC version, to un-do that if I wish later, and go back to the 2012/Steam version? I'm curious where the Point of No Return is, that's all. :3
Like, with Saints Row 2 and 3, I know I still have the game I bought, just with "optional cosmetic extras", which is really all I'd want. I have FFVII on my Vita, looks pretty damn shiny on it. But if there's a way to simply, y'know.. Only change models, music and stuff and leave the majority of the game "vanilla". I tend to prefer to play the game I bought, y'know?
« Last Edit: 2013-07-21 14:59:51 by Hileict »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: 2013-07-21 14:57:52 »
Sorry if I came across as "being a jerk".. Just.. Yeah. Something seemed off.
Think nothing of it.
As for Cid............. allow me to direct your attention to this thread. The newer updates are on the last page or two, but there is a new new new Sunday Sunday Sunday version with a BIG UPDATE coming soon. Anyway Cid's in there already, battle and field.

Hileict

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: 2013-07-21 15:00:44 »
new new new Sunday Sunday Sunday

I like it already. I'll take ten of them.

EDIT: Aha! I saw the Vincent preview (andZackwhatIcan'teven). I am very appoint. Some of the ones I saw currently on Bootleg seemed.. Lacking/flat.. Apparently that guy got banned for some not-so-cool things though?

...I should learn how to mod stuff. Did some 3D Modelling classes last year, but I'm more of a writer than designer. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to help!

Probably another reason why I'm like "Well what's up with this then, ol' chaps?" is that I've run into issues with other mods before too (Saints Row 3 again) where things would derp so hard that my character doesn't know it exists. I guess I'm like Nomura, a perfectionist. XD Like things looking somewhat natural/similar to the original (though to be honest, the Avalanche Chibi/Tall Cloud and Whiteraven's models? Shiny. The HD Sweeper and Guard Scorpion look frakkin' incredible as well. Squeenix should just hire you guys already.

That's the other thing. The script/grammar update in the 2012/Steam versions.. Is that what the "Fix Script Errors" mod is in Bootleg? I like the Steam fixes, but if it converts the game to the 1998 version.. Is all that lost?
« Last Edit: 2013-07-21 15:27:33 by Hileict »

Razgriz777

• View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: 2013-07-21 16:34:46 »
Ok I tried to glance through as many of the 54 pages as I could to see if I could find this issue specifically. Anyways here goes:

Attempting to run Bootleg Front End, download everything and place it into the proper folder. Mod List will detect everything and all is well.
I turned off UAC (running Win 7 64 bit), Gave both BFE.exe and Bootleg.exe full admin privileges as directed in the instructions.

When I click the "Run Bootleg" button, it starts up fine but quicky states the following:

Final Fantasy VII Installation Located:
""=\"
Access Denied! Installation Aborted!!
Run Bootleg.exe with Administrator Priviledges.
Right click on Bootleg.exe and in the context menu:
    Select PROPERTIES
    Go to the COMPATIBILITY tab
    Check the box by 'Run this program as an administrator'

which I am not sure this is stated. On top of that it deleted EVERY mod in the folder so I had to redownload (and made a backup copy because it does it everytime). I also noticed the FAQ about changing the "Path" variable in the computer advanced properties and this did not change a thing.

Suggestions?

Also I'm using the Steam release of FF7
« Last Edit: 2013-07-21 16:36:45 by Razgriz777 »

Syno

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: 2013-07-21 16:45:09 »
Ok I tried to glance through as many of the 54 pages as I could to see if I could find this issue specifically. Anyways here goes:

Attempting to run Bootleg Front End, download everything and place it into the proper folder. Mod List will detect everything and all is well.
I turned off UAC (running Win 7 64 bit), Gave both BFE.exe and Bootleg.exe full admin privileges as directed in the instructions.

When I click the "Run Bootleg" button, it starts up fine but quicky states the following:

""=\"
Run Bootleg.exe with Administrator Priviledges.
Right click on Bootleg.exe and in the context menu:
    Select PROPERTIES
    Go to the COMPATIBILITY tab
    Check the box by 'Run this program as an administrator'

which I am not sure this is stated. On top of that it deleted EVERY mod in the folder so I had to redownload (and made a backup copy because it does it everytime). I also noticed the FAQ about changing the "Path" variable in the computer advanced properties and this did not change a thing.

Suggestions?

Are your Steam Files in a non-system folder? If they were in a system folder and you moved them, and then launch steam, a new steam file could be created in the previous folder. Cut and paste this file with the other in the non-system folder

Razgriz777

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: 2013-07-21 16:49:41 »
Steam is located in my E:\Games\Steam directory. It was indeed moved (per the instructions) and still no go. Still the fact that it thinks that bootleg.exe does not have permissions, when it does, seems to be the hold up? I guess going off purely what it says anyways.

Syno

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: 2013-07-21 16:52:31 »
Are your firewall and your anti virus off? :P

Hileict

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: 2013-07-21 16:55:01 »
Steam is located in my E:\Games\Steam directory. It was indeed moved (per the instructions) and still no go. Still the fact that it thinks that bootleg.exe does not have permissions, when it does, seems to be the hold up? I guess going off purely what it says anyways.

This is pretty much how I have mine too. On my 2TB drive in E:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII directory. That still cool? It won't fit on C:\, that's a SATA.

Razgriz777

• View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: 2013-07-21 16:59:09 »
This is pretty much how I have mine too. On my 2TB drive in E:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII directory. That still cool? It won't fit on C:\, that's a SATA.

Lol yesssss they are all off :P

waldoh

• View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: 2013-07-21 17:01:17 »
I'm having the same issue. My steam ff7 is installed in C:/Games, i have bootleg running as admin, firewall and anti-virus are off. All mods are green/yellow, yet I'm still getting:

""=\"

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: 2013-07-21 17:05:17 »
""=\"
Frequently Asked Questions
When I run Bootleg, I get a message that says "Access Denied. Installation Aborted!".
  • Right click "My Computer" and select Properties.
  • Scroll down to "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" and click on Change Settings.
  • In the Advanced tab, click on Environmental Variables.
  • Under "System variables" find the variable named Path, highlight it, and click Edit...
  • "Variable value" should have a long string of directories. Add %SystemRoot%\System32; as the first entry.

waldoh

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: 2013-07-21 17:09:56 »
Frequently Asked Questions
➣ When I run Bootleg, I get a message that says "Access Denied. Installation Aborted!".
Right click "My Computer" and select Properties.
Scroll down to "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" and click on Change Settings.
In the Advanced tab, click on Environmental Variables.
Under "System variables" find the variable named Path, highlight it, and click Edit...
"Variable value" should have a long string of directories. Add %SystemRoot%\System32; as the first entry.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did this as well.

I'm running windows 8 if that makes any difference
« Last Edit: 2013-07-21 17:17:43 by waldoh »

Hileict

• View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: 2013-07-21 17:40:37 »
Uh.. I don't mean to be rude or whatever, but.. What's up with Reno being called "Leno" at the end of the tutorial video? http://youtu.be/LlmxuFYnpsE?t=22m13s
Why was that even changed? It's not in the vanilla version..

waldoh

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: 2013-07-21 17:41:54 »
I've been messing around and still can't really find a solution. I'm giving up for now, but here's what I have in-detail, maybe someone will eventually know what the issue is:

Steam is installed in Program files
Games are installed outside Program files (C:/games)
all mods+bootleg are in c:/games/ff7mods
bfe+bootleg.exe are running as admin
all mods are installed, mod-list shows 100% green/yellow
UAC is off
firewall is off
windows defender is off
C:/windows/system32 is the first variable in the 'path' environmental variables

when I hit run bootleg I get the following error:

Checking Operating System...
64Bit Installation
""="
Run Bootleg.exe with Administrator Proviledges.
etc.
etc.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: 2013-07-21 17:54:12 »
Waldoh,
In BFE, what is the FF7 install directory? Is it detected correctly?
Try manually setting the FF7 install directory in BFE before running Bootleg.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: 2013-07-21 17:59:12 »
I wanna be very clear, Bootleg is not a trojan horse, nor does it contain one. It's often picked up by A/V software's heuristic measures (or as "generic" or something similar) because of the way it's packed. The extent of its "attacking" is that it decompresses and runs an executable file, behavior which is common in malware but is not inherently bad in and of itself. Many lesser antivirus software will just assume it's a trojan horse for that, regardless of what the packed exe actually does.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: 2013-07-21 19:15:33 »
@Hileict
I can understand you, I had years ago also a dispute here because of something like a False positive.
Until now my PC has survived all

Alternatively, you can use my FF7GameConverter, then you can also manually install all (?) the mods here.
Even without UAC, Antivir, firewall or something disable.

""=\"

Especially with the Steam release, it is important to specify the paths.

Both the games folder as well as the Temp folder I recommend every 20 GB to have free space.

Ah, and do not use quotes in the pathsboxes ...
« Last Edit: 2013-07-21 19:21:33 by Kompass63 »

Razgriz777

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: 2013-07-21 19:44:22 »
@Hileict
I can understand you, I had years ago also a dispute here because of something like a False positive.
Until now my PC has survived all

Alternatively, you can use my FF7GameConverter, then you can also manually install all (?) the mods here.
Even without UAC, Antivir, firewall or something disable.

Especially with the Steam release, it is important to specify the paths.

Both the games folder as well as the Temp folder I recommend every 20 GB to have free space.

Ah, and do not use quotes in the pathsboxes ...

Ok the Destination Location is left blank. What path do I exactly need to put down here? The location of the game install? Such as E:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII?

Second the FF7 Install image is left blank. What exatly do I need to put here

Last the temp files entry is blank but this I can put as anything as its just going to temp extract and delete the files after, correct?