Author Topic: [FF7] Tutorial for Bootleg - Tifa's Bootleg  (Read 2435949 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7] Tutorial for Bootleg - Tifa's Bootleg
« Reply #2475 on: 2014-10-13 02:26:30 »
Someone else fixed it by reinstalling, so I suggest you do that if all else fails.

Groomp56

• View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: 2014-10-13 03:53:29 »
I'll try that, I'll give you an update.

Groomp56

• View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: 2014-10-13 06:17:49 »
Unfortunately, it still happens, even with a clean re install. At this point I don't know what to do. I have the same issue as that guy in the other post, but his fix didn't work for me. I deleted all the files, and re installed everything. Never should have restarted my computer...  Could it be the game using my Intel card instead of my Nvidia? I set it to use it in the Nvidia Control Panel.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-13 06:59:20 by Groomp56 »

CDog

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: 2014-10-13 09:51:39 »
Hi, I'm new around here and I've just come with a problem installing. I'm attaching a picture of where my installation hangs.

The install freezes up at this point and won't go any further after 2 attempts. Anyone have any advice? :?

EDIT:
I thought it may have been because my default txt editor was set to notepad++, when I changed to notepad I get some errors but installation still hangs.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-13 10:09:10 by CDog »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: 2014-10-13 12:18:56 »
@Groomp56 - I don't know what this could be, perhaps someone else will be able to help you.

@CDog - I'm not sure if it has something to do with the text editor. I know it opens a file in notepad once it finishes, which you can ignore. It does take some time to finish, not sure what to do to un-hang it, besides trying to wait it out.

Groomp56

• View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: 2014-10-13 18:27:52 »
@Vgr Ok, thanks for your help up to this point.

CDog

• View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: 2014-10-13 18:54:30 »
@CDog - I'm not sure if it has something to do with the text editor. I know it opens a file in notepad once it finishes, which you can ignore. It does take some time to finish, not sure what to do to un-hang it, besides trying to wait it out.

It opened a text document but then remained open but appearing to do nothing. After a while the Sephiroth animation even stopped moving every time I've run the installer.

I ended the process with the task manager and everything seems to have worked, I'm able to play the game with no problems so far (I'm still on the bombing mission though).

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: 2014-10-13 19:17:54 »
Has anyone else found a complete fix for the [half counter] issue from the Menu Overhaul? I figure one would just reinstall the menu overhaul completely and overwrite the copy paste. But, I am too hesitant about this. I don't like redoing things too many times. e.e

Fennas

• View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: 2014-10-14 15:17:11 »
i fixed my half counter problem by reinstalling, i had to manually install my Menu Overhaul and selected Retranslation(someone suggested this would work). I now have fully visible Countdowns.

You could try to backup the game files and try to install Menu Overhaul. If it doesn't work you can just go back.

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: 2014-10-14 17:59:07 »
i fixed my half counter problem by reinstalling, i had to manually install my Menu Overhaul and selected Retranslation(someone suggested this would work). I now have fully visible Countdowns.

You could try to backup the game files and try to install Menu Overhaul. If it doesn't work you can just go back.

I see, but when you manually reinstall it and copy the files in, do you recopy the files of the Kernels and the ff7.exe back into place afterwards so you won't lose your chosen models and stuff?

Superhiro415

• View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: 2014-10-15 04:29:40 »
Hey I just starting using this set of mods and am loving it so far. I've just been having a couple small issues that maybe you guys could help me out with.

1. The motorbike minigame at the end of Midgar played at superspeed. Not the biggest deal as I still managed to get past it, but I was wondering if there's a way to fix it and if that means the other minigames will also run at superspeed.

2. The in game volume control for the music doesn't seem to do anything. Is there another way I should be adjusting the music volume? It seems to be considerably louder than anything else on my pc, which just makes it hard if I wanna play the game while watching a twitch stream or something.

Any help on these two issues would be appreciated.

Mahglazzies

• View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: 2014-10-16 08:20:14 »
Greetings,

So far I'm loving the work that you've done, this is fantastic and really streamlines a process that would otherwise deter a lot of people from experiencing FFVII at its finest. I have, however, encountered a few issues that I have not been able to find solutions to, within the FAQ and this thread (though I will admit that I did not sift through all 100 pages of this thread).

A little bit of preliminary information:

I'm running Windows 8, 64 bit.
I'm using the Steam version of Final Fantasy VII, which I have installed to C:/Games and NOT in the Program Files folder.

- I have user account control turned off (always do), installed everything as an administrator and turned off my anti-virus/firewall for setup.
- I downloaded the compilation torrent provided with all of the mods that are supposed to work together seamlessly.
- I'm operating on a laptop with a dedicated Nvidia GPU.
- During the installation process, I was only prompted once to configure the installation of a mod as it ran through the command prompt. I can't remember which it was, but, as suggested, I selected "1997 version" and continued with the install. (Is this normal? When I read "pick 1997 for EVERYTHING", I can only assume there should have been more configuration prompts...)

I put my mods in the suggested folder (Games/FF7Mods) and my FF7 install is in Games/Steam/Steamapps/Common/FINAL FANTASY VII. I ran bootloader and the command prompt went to work. After installation was completed, I went through and set all of my options in Bootleg Front End and upon using the Bootloader, I went ahead and configured everything to the recommended specification (minus Postprocessing - I read that it doesn't work on Nvidia cards and it does result in a post-processing error at launch).

Anyhow, on to the problems. When I launch the game with bootloader, FF7Music launches in the background as well. Upon starting a new game, the music in the opening starts about 20 seconds later than it should, but it does start (with the remastered music too). Is there a reason why it launches FF7Music in the background? I read in some of these threads that the game must be launched with FF7Music in order for the mod to work, but I also read that for a good portion of the other mods to work, the game must be launched with Bootloader. Is it normal for the FF7Music launcher to pop-up in the background when you start the game with bootloader? Sometimes when I use bootloader to launch the game, there is no music at all. This is more of a curiosity and an annoyance, it isn't really a huge deal.

However, the thing that really bothers me is that the Bootleg Front End doesn't remember all of my settings after exiting. Again, this issue isn't enough to make it unplayable, but still. It makes me paranoid that not all has gone smoothly. Under "models", "Guard Scorpion" and "Sweeper" won't stay selected. I always pick "Team Avalanche" for the save point and it does show it as such in the bootleg front end, but in-game it actually shows the Final Fantasy X savepoint. Under "Overhaul", "Always Run", "Re-Translation" (including Canon Names, Canon Items and American Spelling) won't stay selected.

Also, my APP.LOG:
INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: Intel Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 4.2.0 - Build 10.18.10.3355
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Using PBO
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 16384x16384
INFO: Number of texture units: 8
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1920x1080, output resolution 1440x1080, internal resolution 3840x2160
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: Shader limits: varying 64, vert uniform 4096, frag uniform 4096
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: FF7Music helper plugin loaded
INFO: Loading external library Multi.dll
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
ERROR: could not open file C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
set music volume: 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\eidoslogo.avi; h264/aac 1280x960, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 10.193000, frames: 153
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
INFO: C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\sqlogo.avi; h264/aac 1280x896, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 14.605000, frames: 219
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
INFO: C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\opening.avi; h264/aac 1280x896, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 127.570000, frames: 1914
WM_CLOSE
Field Quit
UNINITIALIZE DD
END UNINITIALIZE DD

Just in-case something looks odd there too. Is it weird that during installation, I wasn't prompted to configure more than one mod? Is it normal to have FF7Music launcher open in the background when I launch with bootloader? Any insight as to why the options I mentioned earlier won't save in bootleg front-end? I'd really love to use them.

Sorry if this post was needlessly verbose. Appreciate any feedback/insight. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2014-10-16 08:23:56 by Mahglazzies »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: 2014-10-16 10:45:33 »
FF7Music is needed during running of the game, and so is ran all the time. The music starting later in the intro is intentional and normal behavior.

I think you got it backwards. You need to configure your settings in the Bootleg Front End, then hit "Run Bootleg" to install. You cannot change your settings once installed, you need to re-install.

Mahglazzies

• View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: 2014-10-16 20:14:56 »
... Oh. Well, that definitely makes me feel like a giant moron, but I suppose that makes sense. Don't know why I assumed it was more flexible than that. Thanks for the information, I'll just do a clean install and be very, very sure about how I want everything to look before I proceed.

So there's absolutely nothing in those menus that I can change after I run bootleg install? Even slight cosmetic things? Haven't tested that out yet, but probably not, if I'm understanding what you're telling me.

Thank-you. I really appreciate the help, hopefully I didn't make you facepalm too hard when you read my post.  ;D

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: 2014-10-16 20:58:42 »
With the (godly awful, unpractical, brain-aching and cringing) way it's coded, this cannot be done, sadly.

Fennas

• View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: 2014-10-17 18:41:07 »
➣ I can't see the counters for the Shinra Mansion Safe, Junon Parade, Gaea's Cliff, Rocket Launch Countdown, etc.

Make a backup of [gamedir]\mods\Bootleg.
    Install Menu Overhaul with "Re-Translation Project [R04]" checked.
    Go to [gamedir]\mods\DK and copy all its contents to [gamedir]\mods\Bootleg. Overwrite everything when asked.
    Open up Bootloader Configure and change the Mod Path back to "Bootleg" OR open ff7_opengl.cfg with Notepad and edit mod_path = Bootleg. Be sure to save the file.
    Play the game passed the counter and save right after.
    If you don't like the translated text, run Menu Overhaul again with "Uninstall this mod" checked at the bottom.
    Go to the backup from Step 1 and copy all its contents to [gamedir]\mods\Bootleg. Overwrite everything when asked.

I followed these Instructions and got it to work.

Anyway, now I got another problem with the Countdowns on the train chase in Corel. The Countdown runs at twice the speed, making it impossible to stop the train in time.
How can i get the timer to run at normal speed?

Edit: I used the EQ2Alyza preset for my Bootleg installation.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-18 07:18:46 by Fennas »

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: 2014-10-17 20:01:55 »
Oh you followed that bit. e.e When I did that, just to get Vincent, I wasn't able to have my loaded models or anything until I got Vincent. So, meh.

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: 2014-10-18 21:29:58 »
Okay, concerning the retranslation project fixing the time counters I need for the Shinra Mansion and the train. I have to say it worked. BUT.. I did it on an initial install of Bootleg with a fresh install . I dislike the retranslation, but, I will work with it and get my happy self over it.  I wanted to keep the original , but meh.  I have canon names, items and american spelling checked. It fixed everything with the retranslation checked.  To the point at hand, i'm good now. e.e After weeks of tests, i'm good.

Edit: Scratch that, I checked the american spelling thing and it just retranslated anyway. The duck man!?
« Last Edit: 2014-10-18 21:52:20 by Sora123masta »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: 2014-10-18 22:21:37 »
Bootleg is strawberries old, what you're seeing is the old Menu Overhaul, which is sadly what Bootleg has. Reunion can be installed afterwards, but then troubleshooting is up to you.

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: 2014-10-18 22:29:25 »
Hm, mind giving me the thread through pms to the Reunion?  I would like to do this so I can have my chosen files from bootleg, fix the counter issue but keep the original American text.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: 2014-10-18 23:09:29 »

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: 2014-10-19 00:17:51 »
Are some of the soundtrack options broken or is that just me? I tried to use FFTim's OGG for example and got nothing. I also don't know what "The Remix" and "Bootleg" are. I'm trying to remember what  OST options I used last time.... It sounded like FFTim's stuff but maybe not. Was that incorporated into "Remix" or "Bootleg"?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2497 on: 2014-10-19 01:59:03 »
Hm, mind giving me the thread through pms to the Reunion?  I would like to do this so I can have my chosen files from bootleg, fix the counter issue but keep the original American text.

Did you choose any difficulty mod from Bootleg? Reunion "Beacause" is the updated ReTranslation from Menu Overhaul. Keep in mind that it alters files that are associated with most difficulty mods as well, so all you could be doing is a work-around to one problem while creating another.

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: 2014-10-19 02:55:46 »
I have this issue already assessed . Thanks to VGR giving me the bump to the Reunion project. I got the changes I needed, I had no difficulty mods chosen in bootleg, just the normal original mod. <3

kenichi

• View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: 2014-10-21 17:22:33 »
I tried everything I uninstall and reinstall 3 times but no sound or music in game; just fmv s including sounds.  I am using win 8.1 64 bit laptop.

my app log

INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: Intel Intel(R) HD Graphics 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2900
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Using PBO
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 8192x8192
INFO: Number of texture units: 8
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1280x720, output resolution 960x720, internal resolution 1280x960
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: Shader limits: varying 41, vert uniform 512, frag uniform 1024
INFO: vertex shader compile log:
No errors.

INFO: fragment shader compile log:
No errors.

INFO: main program link log:
No errors.

INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: FF7Music helper plugin loaded
INFO: Loading external library Multi.dll
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: E:\Oyun\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\eidoslogo.avi; h264/aac 1280x960, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 10.193000, frames: 153
INFO: vertex shader compile log:
No errors.

INFO: fragment shader compile log:
No errors.

INFO: yuv program link log:
No errors.

INFO: E:\Oyun\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\sqlogo.avi; h264/aac 1280x896, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 14.605000, frames: 219
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Field Quit
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 303
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
WM_CLOSE
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_QUIT
[BATTLE] endof battle.
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_QUIT
Field Quit
UNINITIALIZE DD
END UNINITIALIZE DD

my ff7_opengl_cfg

# ff7_opengl-0.7.11b config file - modified by Bootleg

## USER OPTIONS ##
## If you just want to play the game, these are the only options you'll want to change.

# set the window size (or fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 1280
window_size_y = 720
#internal_size_x = 3840
#internal_size_y = 2160
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = yes

#window_pos_x = -1
#window_pos_y = -1
#widescreen_hack = yes

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = bootleg

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes
#refresh_rate = 60

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = off

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# plugin used to play music, the FF7Music plugin MUST be enabled for FF7Music to work.
# If no music plugin is loaded the game will play MIDI as usual but FF7Music will NOT work.
music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

## ENHANCEMENTS ##
## All the little extras that weren't part of the original game, default options include only trivial bug fixes.

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = on

# allow max hp/mp to go over 9999, same effect as the YAMP patch by dziugo
break_9999limit = no
#new_hp_limit = yes
#new_mp_limit = yes

# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes

# expand battle viewport to cover entire screen and make the battle menu transparent
new_battle_interface = on

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
enable_postprocessing = no
post_source = shaders/SmartBloom.post
yuv_source = shaders/yuv.frag
frag_source = shaders/main.frag
vert_source = shaders/main.vert

## ADVANCED OPTIONS ##
## Don't fiddle with these unless you know what you're doing.

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes
#enable_lighting = yes
#show_light_rays = yes
#show_normals = yes
#show_tbn_space = yes
#max_lights = 12

#Variable Functions#
#specular_fog = yes
#texture_scale_bias = 1
#texture_coordinate_clamp = yes
#pixel_texture_bits = 32
#generate_mipmap = yes
#detail_texture = yes
#shader_precision = yes
#tessellation_program5 = yes
#multisample_coverage = yes
#multisample_filter_hint = yes
#texture_filter_anisotropic = yes
#texture_edge_clamp = yes

# prevent glitches due to rounding errors by rendering in the nearest (larger, if supported)
# multiple of the original resolution and up/down-scaling
prevent_rounding_errors = yes

# enable alpha blending for textures without an existing blending effect
fancy_transparency = on

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = no
skip_frames = no

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# store external textures in a compressed cache for increased performance
# compression is not lossless, some artifacts may appear when this option is in use
# texture cache does NOT update automatically if the source image changes, however, deleting anything from the cache
# will cause that file to be recreated from the source
compress_textures = no

# use pixel buffer objects to speed up texture loading
# will probably crash horribly on ATI cards but should work for NVIDIA users
use_pbo = yes
use_vbo = no

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# use a more stable (but less accurate) timer to control FF7's framelimiter
# this option has no effect unless the use_new_timer option is on
use_stable_timer = yes

# plugin used to play movies, FFMpeg is the only choice for now
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp

## MODDER OPTIONS ##
## These options are mostly useful to modders and should not be enabled during normal play.

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd first,
# if this file doesn't exist it will look for the original in the LGP archive
direct_mode = off

# show every failed attempt at loading a .png texture
show_missing_textures = no

# Disable Error Notifications
disable_popup = on

# Load Multiple DLLs
load_library = Multi.dll