Author Topic: Team Avalanche looking for 2D artists  (Read 23981 times)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
Team Avalanche looking for 2D artists
« on: 2014-07-19 01:06:01 »
Hi folks,

I'm opening this thread in order to find some help for the Team Avalanche project. More specifically, I would like this thread to be dedicated to what I would call “texture jobs”.
On the one hand, it is my understanding that there are many people out there who are familiar, if not somewhat proficient, with Photoshop and 2D design, probably more than people handling 3D modelling. On the other hand, there are many aspects of texturing used in 3D modelling which could use much help from 2D artists.
In order to create realistic, believable urban environments, 3D modelling artists often need to populate a scene with man-made objects, and many of these objects bear labels or covers with an elaborate design. Here is a short list of items where the texture would require a small job of its own: books, soda cans, posters, magazines, food packaging, paintings, spray can, vehicle dashboard, etc.
Of course, a 3D modelling artist could spend the time for designing these textures. However, given how understaffed we are in the 3D modelling area, I do not think it is the best use of time and resources, especially if there are available 2D artists who could lend a hand. In that respect, any support we could get would be very much appreciated.
Below is a list of textures which need to be done, the list will be updated as jobs are completed and new tasks will have to be carried out. Other 3D modelling artists are welcome to post job requests in this thread. Detailed descriptions for each job can be discussed in the thread.

mds5_i: posters on the back door
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/MDS5_Ia.png

mds5_m: design on the hanging sheet on the left hand side wall
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/MDS5_Ma.png

mds5_w: doodles and drawings pinned on the left hand side shelf
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/MDS5_Wa.png

5min1_1: poster on the right hand side wall
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/5MIN1_1a.png

5min1_1: cover of the magazine sitting on the couch
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/5MIN1_2a.png

5min1_2: Turtle Paradise advertising
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/5MIN1_2a.png

ealin1 and ealin12: Book covers
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/EALIN_1a.png
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/EALIN_12a.png

ealin_2: painting on the wall above the stairs
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/EALIN_2a.png

PS: Shall I copy/paste this thread in the Graphical Mods forum to reach a wider audience?
« Last Edit: 2014-07-19 01:16:03 by Mayo Master »

Dubular

• View Profile
Re: Team Avalanche looking for 2D artists
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-19 05:10:14 »
I should be able to give you a hand with this kinda stuff. Like I said in the other post, I'm not very knowledgeable in 3D, but I do just fine in 2D.

But not this weekend. I'll be too busy watching The International  :mrgreen:.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-19 10:33:15 »
Posted on Steam.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-19 16:25:57 »
Posted on Steam.
Thanks. I just hope everybody understands this is volunteering and the project is non-profit.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-20 05:52:20 by Mayo Master »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-19 23:44:55 »
This might help, too.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-20 05:44:18 »
This might help, too.
Judging from the first reactions you got, there's not much to be expected. Thanks for trying though.
If a troll fest is all we're going to get, maybe we'll be better off with the thread deleted.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-20 05:50:56 by Mayo Master »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-20 09:42:49 »
Judging from the first reactions you got, there's not much to be expected. Thanks for trying though.
If a troll fest is all we're going to get, maybe we'll be better off with the thread deleted.

I tend to agree to remove it on steam and deviant looking at the reactions.
It feels like it's doing more harm than good...
 8-)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-20 10:42:58 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:58:26 by dkma841 »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-20 14:12:21 »
This was... Unsuspected.  :'(
I thought that there might be one who can help us most likely, but that this community is build by a bunch of ignorant people, who are more interest in showmanship as in using their skill for the sake of other, was a surprise for me. On the other hand I only got response of semi talented 'character' designers...
But well, I learned a lesson. If I ever need to recruit peoples for a project to create a game, I won't look definitely there. I need team players with a problem solving orientation and not people where I have to fear they will come to me 'Oh no, it is impossible to do! By the way where is my money?'. Now I understand why real artists have their own website (beside it's looking better)...

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-20 16:09:15 »
I tend to agree to remove it on steam and deviant looking at the reactions.
I agree. Kaldarasha and LeonhartGR, could you please remove your respective threads if you haven't already? Thanks.

I need team players with a problem solving orientation and not people where I have to fear they will come to me 'Oh no, it is impossible to do! By the way where is my money?'. Now I understand why real artists have their own website (beside it's looking better)...

Yeah, that was an unfortunate "crash with internet reality". To be sincere, I think keeping these discussions to the qhimm environment isn't bad, because the people from this forum have made the effort of joining with (most of the time) the purpose of contributing. Through this simple process, you've already made some sort of "natural selection" of the "team players with a problem solving orientation".
There may be some untapped potential out there and we could think we'd benefit from a bit of exposure. However, in terms of exposure, I'd rather showcase our project with a piece of finished work and later see if it inspires people to join. I think the best way to get people's attention is to follow in the footsteps of EQ2Alyza who had Bootleg featured in Kotaku.

Yeah think you should also post this in graphical mods section alot of people look there compared to this board
I'll do that.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-20 16:11:14 by Mayo Master »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #10 on: 2014-07-20 16:29:23 »
No views on Steam anyway, but I'm not taking it down because of a bunch of idiots on DA. I used to be part of DA and those kids are worst than the people on YouTube... Since it's your request I will but I'm not really of the people that like to be told what to do. Call it a behavioral issue! ;)
« Last Edit: 2014-07-20 16:44:11 by LeonhartGR »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-07-20 16:39:42 »
... I'm not really of the people that like to be told what to do. Call it a behavioral issue! ;)

Isn't that called stubbornness?  :-P
 8-)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-07-20 16:43:44 »
 8-)
During human resource job interview, you say it's "perseverance"  :)

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #13 on: 2014-07-20 16:47:00 »
 8-)

I rarely swear in public but I consider it more like a "f*ck off" attidute ;) No offense though... I probably respect Greek history. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-qR0Uke2XNI#t=34
« Last Edit: 2014-07-20 16:52:16 by LeonhartGR »

Dubular

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-07-21 05:04:11 »
Ehh, reading through the comments on deviantart, there's one tiny fact that could have helped that I don't believe you mentioned, that being that one must own a copy of FF7 to use the TA overhaul. Everyone on there seems to be deathly afraid of cease and desists, but it's a different case from Chrono Resurrection as that was a standalone and would hinder sales of a future hd remake. If anything, this project could actually garner some new sales for the original if it reaches completion (A guy has to have dreams, right?).

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-21 18:11:51 »
To be fair, I did not have the intent of posting this request outside of qhimm when writing the first post, so I did not explain the ins and outs of the Team Avalanche project. As you mentioned, it is necessary to explain that TA overhaul is like a "high res texture patch" which runs a legally acquired copy of the game when presenting it to an outside audience.
That being said, people exhibiting troll symptoms tend to keep to their prejudices and do not even want to be informed.

[EDIT] - I just updated sl1982's Team Avalanche overhaul FAQ to that end.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-21 18:30:43 by Mayo Master »

Dubular

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-07-31 15:38:58 »
Poster for 5MIN1_1

If you need it in a larger size, that's not a problem, the original file is huge  ;D

Alright, put a magazine cover together. If you can't tell, I'm having a little fun with this  8)

« Last Edit: 2014-07-31 16:46:04 by Dubular »

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #17 on: 2014-07-31 20:34:35 »
do we have any referance material for the turtle paradise poster? all of the ones in the game should be the same (right?)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-07-31 22:36:18 »
Thanks for the input.
However, there are just a couple of things I would like to check with you before you run ahead with drafting a poster, or dealing with one of these image textures (and that's valid for anybody undertaking any of these tasks):
1- One of the main issues I have with drafting posters, magazine covers and the like is about copyright. It would be easy enough for me to grab any image out there and use it as a base for a texture, but I need to make sure I am allowed to use it, and so far I have found difficult to obtain actual permission of an original artist to use his/her artwork. So, if you want to present material here, it pretty much needs to be 100% your own work, and this is why it would be too time consuming for me to do it instead of spending the same amount of time on 3d modelling alone. For instance...
Poster for 5MIN1_1
If you need it in a larger size, that's not a problem, the original file is huge  ;D
Do you have actual rights to use this image? If you do: awesome! But I have doubts that is the case. In a lesser extent, I am not sure how much you can use the original field file of the mako reactor as the base for the magazine cover.
2- It is most convenient if the 3d modelling artist (that would be myself, when it comes to the aforementioned scenes) would give to the 2d artist the dimensions of the image file which is requested. Generally, the 3d modelling artist has to unwrap the UV, and this unwrap should make the canvas for the 2d artist. So, if you want to make these images, please slow down a bit and let me take the time to give the UV unwraps to you. Unfortunately, I'm going to be off the radar for a few days (I'm changing apartment and my internet provider will fix things with a bit of a delay).
do we have any reference material for the turtle paradise poster? all of the ones in the game should be the same (right?)
Actually, if you check the original fields here, you'll notice that the original posters of the Turtle Paradise just look like boring black writing on white paper (you can't even read "Turtle Paradise"). My suggestion would be for you to come up with an idea of a nice logo for Turtle Paradise, and then you could even refer to the in-game script for figuring out what to write on the poster in question. In the framework of the Avalanche Overhaul, we will have the luxury of drafting different Turtle Paradise posters; one for each scene where you find them: they would all have the same header and logo, but different writings adapted to the script of each scene.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #19 on: 2014-07-31 23:51:28 »
Those Sai look bad! :P :P

Dubular

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-08-01 19:13:21 »
Err...umm so for no particular reason ::) I decided to try a different image on the poster, with a more stylized look to it. It's not exactly the same pose, but I brought back the beard (pretty sure he's got a beard). What do you think?

I am not sure how much you can use the original field file of the mako reactor as the base for the magazine cover.
Haha yeah, I just felt like I had some momentum going at the time and wanted to show that I'm working on it. I'm working on a new background for it, might take a little bit though.

It is most convenient if the 3d modelling artist (that would be myself, when it comes to the aforementioned scenes) would give to the 2d artist the dimensions of the image file which is requested. Generally, the 3d modelling artist has to unwrap the UV, and this unwrap should make the canvas for the 2d artist. So, if you want to make these images, please slow down a bit and let me take the time to give the UV unwraps to you

Luckily I try my best to use as much vector art as possible, and use overly large raster images when I need to to ensure that I can scale stuff to the necessary size. Give me the dimensions when you can, and I can adjust things from there. For my part as long as it's more or less the correct shape, I can shift graphic elements here and there to fit and scale the size without any problems.  :)

you'll notice that the original posters of the Turtle Paradise just look like boring black writing on white paper (you can't even read "Turtle Paradise"). My suggestion would be for you to come up with an idea of a nice logo for Turtle Paradise, and then you could even refer to the in-game script for figuring out what to write on the poster in question.

I did a little googling and found that the International version of FF7 has a fourth disc with some little known content. Some of this includes zoomed in images of the Turtle's Paradise flyers. Would using this as a basis be a possibility?
Example:

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-08-01 20:39:08 »
That's a really good basis especially since its official artwork from the actual game.  My vote is on keeping the text japanese.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-08-03 18:43:43 »
Err...umm so for no particular reason ::) I decided to try a different image on the poster, with a more stylized look to it. It's not exactly the same pose, but I brought back the beard (pretty sure he's got a beard). What do you think?
That's pretty cool. I'm guessing this one should get us in the clear as far as copyright is concerned, right?
I had already things sorted for the calendar (put dates along the Final Fantasy nomenclature, and wrote stuff like made-up-holidays in Japanese, too). I'll just use the image.

Luckily I try my best to use as much vector art as possible, and use overly large raster images when I need to to ensure that I can scale stuff to the necessary size. Give me the dimensions when you can, and I can adjust things from there. For my part as long as it's more or less the correct shape, I can shift graphic elements here and there to fit and scale the size without any problems.  :)
That sounds good. I'll try to send you the UVs soon.

I did a little googling and found that the International version of FF7 has a fourth disc with some little known content. Some of this includes zoomed in images of the Turtle's Paradise flyers. Would using this as a basis be a possibility?
That is actually a great find! Thanks!
That's a really good basis especially since its official artwork from the actual game.  My vote is on keeping the text japanese.
I second this  :)

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #23 on: 2014-08-03 21:44:20 »
Onlay red belt? Awh! This is 9th kyu in Kyokushin... I would prefer the sai guy myself! :)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2014-08-03 22:35:15 »
took a stab at it just for fun.  This was just real quick to give you an idea.  I prefer the first one as well but it just needs to be a bit more stylized like the second.  Also, you've got to have a beard!  Actually if we could find a photo of Chuck Norris in this pose it would be ideal!
« Last Edit: 2014-08-03 22:37:30 by yarLson »